I want a new chainsaw

27metalman

I'm going to buy Stihl every time. That said, I did buy a battery Dewalt not long ago. It's good on small stuff. Says it will make 90, 4" cuts on a charge. I bought it cause I already had chargers and batteries. I hear good things about the battery Stihl, too.

Gaswamp

not a fan of the 170, friend had one and it seemed cheaply made...been using a 290 for years. Want to upgrade to the pro series 261 but can't find the darn things

sleepr71

I recently bought a 180C. It’s the model that allows you to twist a knob to tighten the chain. It also has a spring loaded “assist” to help crank it. You pull the rope about 1/2 way..and it then spins the motor over with ease. Weighs about 9-10lbs… which is a breeze compared to the 290 and the 301 or 311 that we have. Those bigger saws will wear you down quick, especially in this heat??‍?

Artfuldodger

I recently bought a 180C. It’s the model that allows you to twist a knob to tighten the chain. It also has a spring loaded “assist” to help crank it. You pull the rope about 1/2 way..and it then spins the motor over with ease. Weighs about 9-10lbs… which is a breeze compared to the 290 and the 301 or 311 that we have. Those bigger saws will wear you down quick, especially in this heat??‍?
How do you like those features? They also have easier to remove gas and chain oil caps.
The MS250 is one of the hardest to crank. I think they flood easy.

GeorgiaGlockMan

We have a 18v milwaukee pole saw and a smaller milwaukee chain saw.

They were for my wife.

i like the pole saw but the little chain saw is iffy for anything over 6" or so. I think the blade may be 8".

I can do alot of damage with a Sawzall and a pruning blade.

Good luck.

hopper

Not alot of love here for the Echo but they are great saws. I have been using a 450 without issues 4yrs and the smaller I believe is a 250 something for lighter work. I noticed on the forest forum alot of pros were switching over for price and having good results. Plenty of saw for most of us. I'm not saying it's a Stihl but both fires up consistently both are nice and balanced both cut great.

Robust Redhorse

Use caution with battery powered chainsaws!

When using 2-stroke gas saws, you at least get the idea that they might be dangerous because they are loud and obnoxious. (At least they make you think about using chaps and a hard hat)

With cordless, you tend to think you are using a drill.

*** Be careful***

jrickman

I have been thinking about a battery saw to keep in the truck in the winter, but I can't see myself making that my primary.

Robust Redhorse

If you are an experienced chainsaw user, no problem.

If you think that your inexperienced wife or child is safe with a cordless chainsaw, you are making a BIG MISTAKE.

They would be much safer with a 75cc two-stroke.

sleepr71

How do you like those features? They also have easier to remove gas and chain oil caps.
The MS250 is one of the hardest to crank. I think they flood easy.

I like it because : 1) I don’t have to keep up with a wrench & screwdriver to tighten the chain. 2) The cranking effort is about half that of a normal saw. It takes some getting used to. I’m used to having to YANK the cord on the bigger saws. The 180C..you just give it a steady tug..then the mechanism that you’ve wound up takes over & spins the motor. It’s different,for sure. I think they make a 250C also. Only reason I bought it was: I had an identical one(for parts) that somebody threw in the dumpster,and I had a $100 ACE gift card. Otherwise,I would have bought a MS170 & not looked back. Honestly,Husqvarna saws make a lot of sense because you can pick up bars/chains/plugs/etc at most any box store..any day of the week. Not so with Stihl Equipment. Also…unless it’s a higher end Stihl saw….and says “Made in Germany” on it….it’s Made in Mehico…??

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Use caution with battery powered chainsaws!

When using 2-stroke gas saws, you at least get the idea that they might be dangerous because they are loud and obnoxious. (At least they make you think about using chaps and a hard hat)

With cordless, you tend to think you are using a drill.

*** Be careful***

I bought a 60v DeWalt, brushless, 16". The torque is unreal, it is not a toy.

Maybe a year or so ago now I wanted something more user friendly than my Husky. I was browsing through lowes one day when I found a Poulan 14” 33cc saw for $60 and tax. It ran and cut so well I went back and bought two more of them. I use it for trimming and removing fair size trees around the house. I have tortured the original one. I used it to cut large roots, rocks, dirt and whatever else I’ve happened into using it. I feel like I’ve already got more than my money’s worth out of it. Oh, I have replaced the chain once.

Even after all the abuse it still runs great. The other two are still in the box. I may never need either one.

Someone may end up with a chainsaw for Christmas this year.