Ideal Hunting clothes

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
A simple fact. Before there was anything but the old WW2 camo, I killed everything that was hunted in South Georgia wearing earth tone, muted colored clothes. And it still works just as well in these modern times. Modern camo is nothing more than a fashion statement. I don`t even wear a face mask or gloves when I`m turkey hunting any more.

Try it for yourself, if you have confidence in your own abilities.

Mattval

Do people still like the BDU style clothes? Like if you could get it in diff camo? And I agree with you all woodsmanship trumps everything else. But lets say we wanted to start a GON Forum clothing line.

chrislibby88

I have started using a UV block spray on what ever I wear. I think I have noticed a difference in that. Or sometime it just don’t matter.
I hope you aren’t talking about spray sunscreen. They reflect UV light. If turkeys can see UV then you’ll probably be glowing like a neon sign.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
There's a great story in Harry Middleton's The Earth is Enough about one of the two old batchelor great uncles that Harry was sent to live with in Arkansas after a tragedy in post war Okinawa. His friend had found a Japanese grenade in the jungle which blew up in Harry's presence killing his friend. Harry had two great uncles who lived together in the Ouachita Mountains who were woods wise. There was a local blowhard who would show up daily at the diner in full camo and brag about his latest turkey gear and modern camo which he felt put him a cut above. One day Harry saw his uncle descend the attic ladder with a bag slung over his shoulder all the while chuckling to himself. In a few days, in the presence of the blowhard and others in the diner, the uncle strolled into the diner with a gobbler over his shoulder. The uncle was wearing a Santa Claus suit he kept in the attic and wore during the turkey hunt that morning. Gil

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I like the super thin Tec lite camo, that stretches. It's cheap. I feel like I'm hunting naked. Like sleeping on satin sheets. The fellas in their Sunday pants never see me sneaking past them.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Merino wool pants from Firstlite. Holy moly do those things breath well when it’s hot, and they take the bite out of early season mornings. Expensive, but I don’t own another pair of pants that come close in terms of temp regulation, so worth every penny to me. I usually run merino on top in the early season, and a super lightweight synthetic shirt in the late season. As far as camo patterns, it’s whatever. Just pick something that blends well enough and stay still.

I bought a pair of Firstlite Obsidian pants this past fall and the are by far the best pants I have ever worn. They are beyond comfortable and worked well from 80 degrees to 25 degrees.

I also run merino layering and I don't think there is a better option.

There's a great story in Harry Middleton's The Earth is Enough about one of the two old batchelor great uncles that Harry was sent to live with in Arkansas after a tragedy in post war Okinawa. His friend had found a Japanese grenade in the jungle which blew up in Harry's presence killing his friend. Harry had two great uncles who lived together in the Ouachita Mountains who were woods wise. There was a local blowhard who would show up daily at the diner in full camo and brag about his latest turkey gear and modern camo which he felt put him a cut above. One day Harry saw his uncle descend the attic ladder with a bag slung over his shoulder all the while chuckling to himself. In a few days, in the presence of the blowhard and others in the diner, the uncle strolled into the diner with a gobbler over his shoulder. The uncle was wearing a Santa Claus suit he kept in the attic and wore during the turkey hunt that morning. Gil

3chunter

Nomad in bottomland including mask Heat gear socks. Snake boots.

D

Deleted member 35556

Wool base layers are probably the best thing for hunting in a long time. Wear whatever you want over the top. In reality, I wear clothes that are comfortable for the weather, and just toss a Leafy jacket over the top. Wool will keep your warmer and or cooler. Beyond that, the only thing i'd make sure you have is permethrin on all your clothes. Guys hunting on the ground, you will be sitting still in the middle of ticks. Permethrin WILL keep you tick free 99% of the time.