If a virus killed your daughter but not you, could you witness on the power of prayer?

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
There is plenty that informs us that's not the case. Like the fact most believers will go running to the doctor when their life hangs in the balance.

And yet when an otherwise rational being professes a belief in the supernatural, he is labeled as one who has cast aside all rational thought for the sake of choosing to believe in fairy tales. Have you ever considered the hubris required to make such an assertion? I suspect the answer to that is an unflinching "Yes."

atlashunter

And yet when an otherwise rational being professes a belief in the supernatural, he is labeled as one who has cast aside all rational thought for the sake of choosing to believe in fairy tales. Have you ever considered the hubris required to make such an assertion? I suspect the answer to that is an unflinching "Yes."

The distinction is casting aside rational thought vs never demonstrating any capacity for it in the first place. That's why it works best if you get them when they are young before critical thinking skills are well developed. It's a root kit for the brain.

ambush80

I would replace all with "some, and more than they should,"

ambush80

What is the harm in me believing that the oak tree in my yard is telling me how to live, vote, think of others? And what is the harm in me teaching my child to believe the same?

Is that a strawman or a valid analogy? Are "the voices in my head" a better source?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy

and some the ones that don't believe there is a God, believe in extraterrestrial life out there in the big, broad universe because we just can't be the only inhabited planet.

ambush80

and some the ones that don't believe there is a God, believe in extraterrestrial life out there in the big, broad universe because we just can't be the only inhabited planet.

There are different levels and kinds of belief. Some of them are more consequential than others. Some are based on hard facts and some on probability. Some are based on feelings.

WaltL1

I think a big difference might be that the unbelievers dont try to insist what E.T. says, thinks, wants, had for lunch etc.

WaltL1

What is the harm in me believing that the oak tree in my yard is telling me how to live, vote, think of others? And what is the harm in me teaching my child to believe the same?

Is that a strawman or a valid analogy? Are "the voices in my head" a better source?
Kind of depends on what the tree or the voices in your head are telling you.

atlashunter

I think a big difference might be that the unbelievers dont try to insist what E.T. says, thinks, wants, had for lunch etc.

Another big difference is we already know life exists at least one place in the universe. Gods not so much.

ambush80

Kind of depends on what the tree or the voices in your head are telling you.

Absolutely. If a tree or a bush, burning or otherwise, tells me to to treat you as I do myself and to forgive you if you trespass against me, wouldn't you want me to continue to listen to that tree? What's the worst thing that you think the Western, modern version of Christian doctrine instructs people to do? I don't really have many gripes with the present version except for the fact that powerful political figures take advice from religious leaders and that they stand in the way of medical and scientific advancements sometimes.

kmh1031

Running to the Dr is normal, regardless of beliefs… unless one is an offshoot of some religion that does not believe in medical attention
All agree no one wants to die… the reason is god has put immortality in our hearts… as we were supposed to live forever, here on earth.. but Rom 5:12 shows why we die
but also as we appreciate the Bible’s view on sanctity of life …..
but this is another discussion for another day for me at least

kmh1031

Contrary to the religions of today.. neutrality for gods people on politics is taught in the bible for gods people…
False religion has always aligned itself in some form or fashion with politics,mostly to envoke their beliefs on politicians and also for the power.
That is why false religion, is called the great harlot Babylon the Great in Revelation…

660griz

All agree no one wants to die…

Not necessarily true. The church had to make suicide a severe sin to keep from losing folks that really wanted to get to heaven and skip all this suffering.

WaltL1

Contrary to the religions of today.. neutrality for gods people on politics is taught in the bible for gods people…
False religion has always aligned itself in some form or fashion with politics,mostly to envoke their beliefs on politicians and also for the power.
That is why false religion, is called the great harlot Babylon the Great in Revelation…
I want to make sure I understand -
Are you contending that Christianity has always seperated itself from politics and that only false religions do that?

kmh1031

Yes…. Those that follow Jesus example of neutrality are no part of the world separate themselves from all politics.
true Christian’s, gods people they obey the laws of the land except when they conflict with gods laws

However they do not take a stand, politically or endorse any candidate.

Note Dan 2:44 and Ps 2:2 so we see that the kingdoms, and govts are going to be destroyed and are actually in conflict with God and his son and kingdom.

Now… the Scriptures in Rev talk about Babylon the great which represents ALL the false religions ( not just Christianity) but all these false religions have committed “figurative immorality”with the govts of the world.
Looking back… it is very hard to disprove this point…
and these will be destroyed as the govts of the world will turn on ALL religions in near future… as per Revelation.

OwlRNothing

I can see why not many people of faith join in these conversations. Can you guys?

probably not.

WaltL1

Yes…. Those that follow Jesus example of neutrality are no part of the world separate themselves from all politics.
true Christian’s, gods people they obey the laws of the land except when they conflict with gods laws

However they do not take a stand, politically or endorse any candidate.

Note Dan 2:44 and Ps 2:2 so we see that the kingdoms, and govts are going to be destroyed and are actually in conflict with God and his son and kingdom.

Now… the Scriptures in Rev talk about Babylon the great which represents ALL the false religions ( not just Christianity) but all these false religions have committed “figurative immorality”with the govts of the world.
Looking back… it is very hard to disprove this point…
and these will be destroyed as the govts of the world will turn on ALL religions in near future… as per Revelation.
I understand what scripture says. But Im not talking about scripture. Im talking about Christianity as an "organization".
How do you think Blue Laws etc came to be? By Christianity not getting involved in Politics?

WaltL1

I can see why not many people of faith join in these conversations. Can you guys?

probably not.
I can see why people of faith dont join in.
I can see why people of faith do join in.