If I had known then....

bighonkinjeep

As a kid my Grandaddy had a stamped sheetmetal liberator handgun rolling around in the bottom of his old metal tacklebox. He used to let me run around the catfish ponds and play with it when the bite was slow. I just saw one I"m sure was in better shape on GB for 6K buy it now price and bout fell out of my chair...

Back when "gun shows" were Gun Shows, I was looking to buy a handgun. I had interest in an AMT in .30 carbine for $200 at one of the booths but talked myself out of it because of the odd ball caliber. Opted to buy a Taurus revolver in .38spcl instead. DOH! Just saw that same AMT on GB for 3K.

You guys got any
If i only knew thens...

transfixer

probably too many to list, only one that sticks in my mind was back in the early 80's I had a HK 91, with a couple of mags, bought it from someone for $600 if I remember right, kept it a little while, I was already into reloading all my own ammo, and I hated the way it did the brass when you fired it , as the chamber was made with cooling grooves in it, so your brass came out with striations down the length of the case, that and it was a heavy rifle, I sold it for the same price I paid, last time I saw one for sale it was over $3500 facepalm:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I had a new in box Browning Hi-Power in 30 Luger. It sat in the box for years. Someone made me a very nice offer and I sold it. They have gone up considerably since.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
16 years old, early 70's.
Bought a used Universal Arms M1 .30 cal with a 30 round mag for $150.
Got talked out of it by an older cousin.

Dub

Thinking about this brings some angst....regret for letting a few good'uns get away.

Years ago I sold a M29, two M629 and two M686.
Now....I've since replaced a couple of them but with the current offerings that have the absolutely idiotic internal lock, aka "The Hillary Hole". Seeing that horrid eyesore on my current S&W wheelies serves as a reminder to not buy a gun without very careful consideration to what purpose it'll serve for me...and hopefully to never have a desire or need to sell it, either, because it serves an ongoing purpose.

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
I usually do pretty good on sales and horse trading but out of the very few major regrets, getting rid of my Marlin 336C in 35 Remington with a deep walnut cut checkered stock was DEFINITELY a big one.

It was a 15th birthday gift from Daddy and my first centerfire rifle that was actually mine.

I put the best Williams Micrometer Rear Aperture sight on it and it was a killer. Even on drives or just walking around trying to push one up, take out the tiny peep aperture and shoot through the threaded hole. Lot faster target acquisition that way and you could shoot running deer no problem. They were steel sights back then, not aluminum and they cost as much as a good scope.

Daddy went to his grave not knowing I got rid of that beautiful rifle. I would have been SO ashamed if he ever found out.

Last edited:

Lilly001

probably too many to list, only one that sticks in my mind was back in the early 80's I had a HK 91, with a couple of mags, bought it from someone for $600 if I remember right, kept it a little while, I was already into reloading all my own ammo, and I hated the way it did the brass when you fired it , as the chamber was made with cooling grooves in it, so your brass came out with striations down the length of the case, that and it was a heavy rifle, I sold it for the same price I paid, last time I saw one for sale it was over $3500 facepalm:
I did the same thing with the same rifle for the same reason.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Bought a pre 64 model 70 in 264 win mag at an estate sale for $150.00 in 1980. Sold it in 84 for $300.00 :banginghe

But lady luck smiled on me and I picked up another one still NIB from an older gentleman for $600.00 in 92.

This one still sits in the factory box in the safe! It's not for sale till after I die!!!

Robert28

Thinking about this brings some angst....regret for letting a few good'uns get away.

Years ago I sold a M29, two M629 and two M686.
Now....I've since replaced a couple of them but with the current offerings that have the absolutely idiotic internal lock, aka "The Hillary Hole". Seeing that horrid eyesore on my current S&W wheelies serves as a reminder to not buy a gun without very careful consideration to what purpose it'll serve for me...and hopefully to never have a desire or need to sell it, either, because it serves an ongoing purpose.
Yeah I refuse to own any Smiths with the Hillary hole. I wanted a 686 for the longest time but could never make myself buy a new one because of that. Ended up coming across a deal on a Ruger Service Six. My only other revolver is a 642 without the lock on it. Had a model 10 from the early 70’s but sold it to a friend a couple years ago because he needed a gun and had been asking me about it “if you ever want to sell it let me know”.

Bobby Bigtime

Many years ago at an area gun show I ran onto an Ithaca national match 1911. It was in pristine condition and I began to negotiate a deal with the man. I don't honestly remember the price except I walked away over a measley 25 bucks. When I came to my senses a half hour later a smarter man than I was happily gathering it up.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I just wish I'd started buying guns earlier. They've gone up so quickly, and I hate having missed the cheap Mosins. More recently, I regret not buying two or even three Beretta Cheetahs back around 2017 when they could be had for $200/ea. Wish I'd have even bought one for a friend who loves them.

Reactions: Dub

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Perhaps even worse I turned down a colt single action army 45 because it was a single action and had those ugly black hard rubber grips. The guy was asking 200. Oh to be young and dumb again.
In ‘68 you could buy a new one for that

weagle

I'd like to have a few back, but not because of the value. I don't think even the most inflated gun values can match the S&P 500. Screenshot 2023-08-28 9.08.40 PM.png

Reactions: Dub

georgia_home

DON’T trade the hr 20 for that hunka junk mossy bolt

DO get a couple of the m1 garands and m1 carbines from the bucket rack at woolworths

DO let uncle show you the ins and outs of the milsurp, even if it the M-anything wasn’t his favorite. (his favorite was a Thompson)

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
As a young buck I walked into Franklins Gun Shop with $275 dollars. I had been eyeing a beat up Ruger 44 Carbine I actually brought it to the counter. Ready to drop my six months savings. The guy at the counter convinced me that a Dan Wesson 357 in 6” was a better purchase. I went for the stainless DW. I later traded the Dan Wesson for a Gold Cup upper Colt Ace .22 adapter kit. But I sure wish I had the Ruger 44 carbine

SC Hunter

I have a long long list of guns I have bought and then sold later on that I regret selling. I saw a Ruger #1 at Barrows on the used rack one time for I want to say $500 that I didn't buy and I regret it.
A 686 Silver Pigeon in 20 gauge that I traded for a Browning B78 in 6mm that got sold later on. I wish I had both of those back, mainly the 686. I sold another 686 in 12 gauge for a stupid cheap price because I needed the money for something. A cordoba 12 gauge, an m77 22 hornet, another Ruger #1 in 25-06 that I sold for 750 back when I was in my early 20's. I'd like to have the disposable income that I had back in my early 20's no bills living with my parents.

Oh the super blackhawk 44 magnum that I gave my dad and he traded it for a glock 22. Oh oh oh how about the model 700 243 with a shaw barrel on it that I sold simply because I was bored with it and it was so accurate it wasn't challenging. If I could go back 10 years or so 33 year old me would beat the brakes off young me and give me a list and say keep these.