If you stop and think about it…

buckpasser

If the turkey doc were correct on his theory (the one about is shooting up the place too bad for poor Ol hens to be able to nest successfully cause their man gets killed), wouldn’t the state show that pretty plainly already.

Hear me out. Let’s just say that there is a two week difference in peak breeding from the FL line to the TN or NC line (I believe there is actually much more difference than that, probably more like three weeks or more). For conversation sake let’s keep it at two weeks. If his theory is correct, there would and will be a gradient of higher and higher population as you head south due to the way season dates correlate with breeding.

So, is there a major difference in population from N to S? If there’s not, can we officially see the theory as bull yet? Let me know your thoughts.

Dupree

If the turkey doc were correct on his theory (the one about is shooting up the place too bad for poor Ol hens to be able to nest successfully cause their man gets killed), wouldn’t the state show that pretty plainly already.

Hear me out. Let’s just say that there is a two week difference in peak breeding from the FL line to the TN or NC line (I believe there is actually much more difference than that, probably more like three weeks or more). For conversation sake let’s keep it at two weeks. If his theory is correct, there would and will be a gradient of higher and higher population as you head south due to the way season dates correlate with breeding.

So, is there a major difference in population from N to S? If there’s not, can we officially see the theory as bull yet? Let me know your thoughts.
I think north Georgia has better populations than South Georgia if you made it a blanket statement. Might have something to do with the bigger smz in the north than south.

buckpasser

I just hope to be able to see one , one day

You should probably come down here then. The later start date theoretically has produced one behind every fork of Bahia grass!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
What are y'all refering to when you write smz?
Is that reffering to the area of wood the loggers leave at creeks or other errosion areas?
Thanks for clarification.
And sorry about bad spelling, I promise I'm a little smarter than all these red lines under words that I type make me appear

buckpasser

What are y'all refering to when you write smz?
Is that reffering to the area of wood the loggers leave at creeks or other errosion areas?
Thanks for clarification.
And sorry about bad spelling, I promise I'm a little smarter than all these red lines under words that I type make me appear

Haha! SMZ is a streamside management zone. It’s listed in the BMP for forestry. It’s easy in a “text book” creek situation. It gets a little cloudy on super flat ground and it is fairly widely ignored everywhere.

3chunter

Nothing beats great habitat and trapping and not doing stupid crap like hay cutting in may. Also cutting roost areas can kill the population in the whole area. Most of the roost areas are sanctuary as well. When you cut those places the turkeys disappear….and they might not have a reason to come back. Ever.
no season change or limit change will solve the current issue. That’s just the fact.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Nothing beats great habitat and trapping and not doing stupid crap like hay cutting in may. Also cutting roost areas can kill the population in the whole area. Most of the roost areas are sanctuary as well. When you cut those places the turkeys disappear….and they might not have a reason to come back. Ever.
no season change or limit change will solve the current issue. That’s just the fact.
So a farmer cattle man. Slash person who sells hay. Shouldn’t cut hay on his own land or land he leases to cut hay.
Please explain why no hay cutting then.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Oh they cutting right up to creeks now. Trees that where left from the last cut. Then pines cut. Hard woods got cut closer.

3chunter

So a farmer cattle man. Slash person who sells hay. Shouldn’t cut hay on his own land or land he leases to cut hay.
Please explain why no hay cutting then.

Hunting clubs bushhogging is just as bad. See it everyyear in may and June.
Ride the hay field first or wait to cut it.
Same with a club. January and February are great months to do bushhogging and limbing and such.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member

You`re saying a man whose living and paycheck rely on haycutting, breaking land, and farming, should just wait so you might hunt for your fun and entertainment? Open your eyes and step into the real world. Or maybe just donate your paycheck to him. :crazy:

3chunter

You`re saying a man whose living and paycheck rely on haycutting, breaking land, and farming, should just wait so you might hunt for your fun and entertainment? Open your eyes and step into the real world. Or maybe just donate your paycheck to him. :crazy:
Not saying that exactly. They could ride the field first to see if hens are setting. Or we could create a program that gives incentives that would make up for hay lost or something. The bigger issue is the folks that have clubs. They plan this big work day may or June. The worst time to be doing club cleanup.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I just hope to be able to see one , one day
I saw one last year. One.
Total.
Didn’t even go Turkey hunting because I couldn’t bring myself to shoot the only Turkey on our place where we used to be covered in them.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I think the problem on my place is my hen to gobbler ratio is way outta wack according to the quality turkey management association standards of a 1:1 ratio. DNR should really open up a hen killin season so these ratios can be corrected.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Hunting clubs bushhogging is just as bad. See it everyyear in may and June.
Ride the hay field first or wait to cut it.
Same with a club. January and February are great months to do bushhogging and limbing and such.
What about timber clear cutting them 2 months May & June. Think maybe they should not do it then too ! “WE” could create a incentive program for that also !

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I think the problem on my place is my hen to gobbler ratio is way outta wack according to the quality turkey management association standards of a 1:1 ratio. DNR should really open up a hen killin season so these ratios can be corrected.
Why can’t we capture and relocate.

buckpasser

What about timber clear cutting them 2 months May & June. Think maybe they should not do it then too ! “WE” could create a incentive program for that also !

I know you’re being silly right now, but a hay cutter usually destroys the hen with the nest. Loggers cutting timber normally blows her off, to nest another day. Luckily there’s not a lot of people with thick enough hay fields around here to have hens nesting in them. Cover crop, on the other hand…

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I know you’re being silly right now, but a hay cutter usually destroys the hen with the nest. Loggers cutting timber normally blows her off, to nest another day.
No way your going to stop either. And I was being silly.