I'm a Mormon

ACRAthens

You don't believe in the same Christ that I believe in as mine is the biblical Christ not the one that the peeping stone expert dreamed up.

Welcome and well met! Isn't it great that we can all worship as we please in this country? That's why I love the USA.

Artfuldodger

I believe Jesus is the "Son of God" and our Saviour who died for our sins. I don't believe Jesus is God. Is this similar to what Mormons believe? I still don't know exactly what the different beliefs are. I don't see why we can't discuss it without it going any more "south" than any of the other discussions do. Look at some of the freewill vs pre-destination threads, etc.

hawglips

Banned
I believe Jesus is the "Son of God" and our Saviour who died for our sins.

Mormons do as well.

I don't believe Jesus is God. Is this similar to what Mormons believe?

Mormons believe that Christ is Jehovah of the Old Testament. He was chosen by our Heavenly Father from before the creation of the world to come to earth and suffer for our sins and die on the cross -- so that we could be saved.

Mormons also believe that he is the Word who was with God, and was God, and by whom the worlds were created.

He's Alpha and Omega, the truth and the light, and the only Way by which man can one day live with him and our father in the kingdom of God.

The main problem folks like Woodsman and Cruiser have with Mormons is that we believe that Jesus Christ still speaks today through living prophets. That rubs folks the wrong way. But we believe that God really and truly lives, and loves us today just as much as he ever did. And so we don't have to rely on what a council in Nicea voted on to decide what is or is not true "doctrine."

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Thanks for expressing what you believe. I've never doubted that mormons were 'Christians'....I just didn't know exactly what/how they believe. Most Christians are not gonna agree on everything anyway. There are folks that give mormons a bad name, just like there are baptists that give other baptists or Christians a bad name.

You are welcome here and I'd be interested in learning more about what you believe in. That's what most of us are here for anyway is to learn about each other.

:flag:
:cool: Ditto this ^^^
I don`t pick my friends, folks that I associate with, or trade with, by their religious or non-religious beliefs, or their political beliefs.

You`ll be just fine. :cheers:

btw...I voted for a Mormon too.
:biggrin2: And this!:cool:

Welcome aboard!:cool:

SGADawg

Heck, I don't think all the Baptists are going to Heaven.:rofl:

I'm sorry that you have been mistreated by some Christians. I don't remember ever asking someone what their religion was before deciding if I could work with, be friends with or vote for them. I have many Mormon or LDS friends. While we believe differently, we can still get along. I have never known it to be an issue except maybe if folks are dumb enough to get into arguments about whose religion is "the right one". I may share my beliefs with you and listen as you share yours with me. After that, it is up to the Holy Spirit to convict. I'm not going to convert you or be converted by you as result of arguing and fighting about who is right.

Oh, I voted for the Mormon too. My statement was "Right now we need a change in leadership, I'll worry about his soul later. I don't care if he is Mormon, Jew, Catholic, Baptist, Buddhist or atheist. The only professed Evangelical Christian in the race, I can't vote for."

Last edited:

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
The actual members of the LDS church, as well as their practices, has never been an issue with me... it's some of the history involved with the evolution of the church and to speak plainly, the book of the Mormon itself that made it a little difficult for me to support Romney.

I dated a LDS member for a couple of years, even attended open house at a new temple, was pretty regular at the sunday meetings... and I don't mean no disrespect here, but... forget some of the radical beliefs associated with the church (ie. pre-existence, that faithful members will be gods of their own planets in the afterlife, baptizing dead folks, etc.)... My problem with the whole LDS tenet (and what kept me from converting at that time) all stems from the origins of the mormon movement itself, and the 'book' the whole thing is derived from.

I really want to know... do mormons really believe that Joe Smith, pretty much some kid from upstate NY who's income mostly consisted of him and his family a looking at rocks throwed in their hat's and 'divining' where treasure was buried on folks' farmland, for a fee of course. A man, who later in life, was documented frauding the non-believers of his community through various schemes including counterfeiting and bank fraud... and who also developed a penchant for marrying often, sometimes to very young girls and women who were already married. Do ya'll believe this man to be a prophet of God? And in light of archeological evidence and the advances in technology associated with carbon dating since the 'book' was first published... ain't it getting kind of hard to convince folks that 'Jesus the Western' needs to be on their reading list?

I apologize for the tone of this post and actually have been hesitant to submit it. I also realize that the past of many, if not most religous groups is littered with misdeeds and people of dubious moral character... heck, I figure more humans have been killed by their fellow man "in the name of God" more than for any other reason over the last few thousand years. Therefore I ain't never been 'whole hog', so to speak, over organized religion in general... and Lord knows the LDS is organized. The effort by members themselves and the propaganda published and distributed thru varios media outlets worldwide by the group is admirable and testament to the church's efforts to recruit folks to Christ.

I have heard all the 'canned' responses to the stuff I posted above, and have tried very hard to see it from the LDS point of view... As bad as I hate to admit it because it doesn't say much for my own Christianity and character... when I heard Mitt Romney... 'Mormon'... I kinda went ouch, just a little! I couldn't help it... but if I'd have known you growing up or in fact knew you now, your LDS faith would not affect our friendship or cause me to exclude you from any particular group or function I was associated with.

Being mormon doesn't cause me to question someone's morals or character... but some of y'alls teachings and practices are what an ol' southern redneck might consider kinda odd? And based upon my own encounter and subsequent consideration of converting... well, I just didn't get it I reckon. But I still have some mormon friends and I am sure you and I could share a camp fire sometime... of course I might tease you from time to time and ask you when you planned on 'taking on another wife'.... ;)

ALLBEEF

I really want to know... do mormons really believe that Joe Smith, pretty much some kid from upstate NY who's income mostly consisted of him and his family a looking at rocks throwed in their hat's and 'divining' where treasure was buried on folks' farmland, for a fee of course. A man, who later in life, was documented frauding the non-believers of his community through various schemes including counterfeiting and bank fraud... and who also developed a penchant for marrying often, sometimes to very young girls and women who were already married. Do ya'll believe this man to be a prophet of God? And in light of archeological evidence and the advances in technology associated with carbon dating since the 'book' was first published... ain't it getting kind of hard to convince folks that 'Jesus the Western' needs to be on their reading list?

I'd like to know where you find all of these "facts" you list above?

JFS

Recent crazy claims are no basis for a religion. Everyone knows you can only believe the crazy stuff if it purportedly happened a long time ago.

centerpin fan

Recent crazy claims are no basis for a religion. Everyone knows you can only believe the crazy stuff if it purportedly happened a long time ago.

Reminded me of this:

Scientology Losing Ground To New Fictionology
May 11, 2005 | ISSUE 41•19

LOS ANGELES—According to a report released Monday by the American Institute of Religions, the Church of Scientology, once one of the fastest-growing religious organizations in the U.S., is steadily losing members to the much newer religion Fictionology.

"Unlike Scientology, which is based on empirically verifiable scientific tenets, Fictionology's central principles are essentially fairy tales with no connection to reality," the AIR report read. "In short, Fictionology offers its followers a mythical belief system free from the cumbersome scientific method to which Scientology is hidebound."

Created in 2003 by self-proclaimed messiah Bud Don Ellroy, Fictionology's principles were first outlined in the self-help paperback Imaginetics: The New Pipe-Dream Of Modern Mental Make-Believe.

Fictionology's central belief, that any imaginary construct can be incorporated into the church's ever-growing set of official doctrines, continues to gain popularity. Believers in Santa Claus, his elves, or the Tooth Fairy are permitted—even encouraged—to view them as deities. Even corporate mascots like the Kool-Aid Man are valid objects of Fictionological worship.

"My personal savior is Batman," said Beverly Hills plastic surgeon Greg Jurgenson. "My wife chooses to follow the teachings of the Gilmore Girls. Of course, we are still beginners. Some advanced-level Fictionologists have total knowledge of every lifetime they have ever lived for the last 80 trillion years."

You can read the rest here:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/scientology-losing-ground-to-new-fictionology,1327/

Artfuldodger

I can understand someone not believing everything Mormons believe but not to the point of not voting for one. I heard a gay Republican say he was voting for Romney because he was more aligned with his overall views than Obama being for Gay rights. There is just more to picking a president than his religion to me.
Why have all the Prophets died? What happened to them? They served their purpose? We haven't had any since Jesus died?

ALLBEEF

Why have all the Prophets died? What happened to them? They served their purpose? We haven't had any since Jesus died?

The LDS believe there is a Prophet today....he is the president of the church....his name is Thomas Monson....look up LDS.org and read about any topic you wish.:cheers:

speedcop

I voted for Romney and was proud to do it. Our family grew up southern baptist. My sister met a young man back in the early 70's who was a mormon. They fell in love, got married and she eventually became a mormon. They are still married to this day, live in NC. You wont find a more caring decent devoted to God person than my sister and her family. We dont "debate" each others religeon, just respect it. I have worked with mormons in my job and i'll stand next to one anyday. I quess if it came down to who has devoted more time and effort for their religeon between my sister and me, honestly,Im way in the back. All that being said, Welcome aboard!

SGADawg

Really? I live within spitting distance of the Mormon temple and don't know a single one.

You need to get out more.::ke:

There are 2 LDS families on my street (out of 8 houses). Several of the teachers that I taught with before retiring are LDS. We have 2 Mormons married to Southern Baptists that attend our So. Bapt. Church on a somewhat regular basis. You probably do know some but just don't know they are Mormon.:huh:

Pale Rider

The actual members of the LDS church, as well as their practices, has never been an issue with me... it's some of the history involved with the evolution of the church and to speak plainly, the book of the Mormon itself that made it a little difficult for me to support Romney.

I dated a LDS member for a couple of years, even attended open house at a new temple, was pretty regular at the sunday meetings... and I don't mean no disrespect here, but... forget some of the radical beliefs associated with the church (ie. pre-existence, that faithful members will be gods of their own planets in the afterlife, baptizing dead folks, etc.)... My problem with the whole LDS tenet (and what kept me from converting at that time) all stems from the origins of the mormon movement itself, and the 'book' the whole thing is derived from.

I apologize for the tone of this post and actually have been hesitant to submit it. I also realize that the past of many, if not most religous groups is littered with misdeeds and people of dubious moral character... heck, I figure more humans have been killed by their fellow man "in the name of God" more than for any other reason over the last few thousand years. Therefore I ain't never been 'whole hog', so to speak, over organized religion in general... and Lord knows the LDS is organized. The effort by members themselves and the propaganda published and distributed thru varios media outlets worldwide by the group is admirable and testament to the church's efforts to recruit folks to Christ.

I have heard all the 'canned' responses to the stuff I posted above, and have tried very hard to see it from the LDS point of view... As bad as I hate to admit it because it doesn't say much for my own Christianity and character... when I heard Mitt Romney... 'Mormon'... I kinda went ouch, just a little! I couldn't help it... but if I'd have known you growing up or in fact knew you now, your LDS faith would not affect our friendship or cause me to exclude you from any particular group or function I was associated with.

Being mormon doesn't cause me to question someone's morals or character... but some of y'alls teachings and practices are what an ol' southern redneck might consider kinda odd? And based upon my own encounter and subsequent consideration of converting... well, I just didn't get it I reckon. But I still have some mormon friends and I am sure you and I could share a camp fire sometime... of course I might tease you from time to time and ask you when you planned on 'taking on another wife'.... ;)

That's pretty funny stuff. I guess it's not much different that protestants who allowed a crazy, child abused ex-monk with dillusions of becoming Pope, who rewrote verses of Scripture to suit his own needs to lead them out of a Church that Christ himself started. THEN let a man who advocated the execution of children who had the nerve to talk back to their parents define the entire protestant movement.

All Christian denominations who have been led by men have had their crazy ways and history. That being said, the spirit of the LDS church is something that I have always admired. When I see a practicing Morman, I usually see a person who represents a clean cut, all American person. I admire their value system which is why I voted for who I believe is a good, moral man.

Welcome to the forum. You appear to be a fly fisherman which says a lot about you in my book.

Artfuldodger

And then there was this Jew who taught that he was the Messiah and went against the teachings of the land. He was thought to be somewhat of a nut and regarded as a heretic.
Growing up as a Southern Redneck, Catholics & Lutherans seemed a little bit odd, but then again so did eating Chinese food and socializing with black people.

TaxPhd