instruction video

jpf

have watched trapping shows on TV for pointers and they seem to be useless to me?
is there a good BASIC trapping video or series of videos available?
mostly looking for coon, coyote other predators.

Doug B.

Look up "trapping coyotes" on YouTube. You will find all kinds of videos. Or reach out on here. Almost anybody here will let you ride along. Where are you located?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I came right here 3-4 years ago with basically the same question .
This crew right here are eager to help and answer questions . My first few months I caught 19 coyotes and not sure how many raccoons in my coyote sets . I did watch plenty of YouTube videos but the knowledge shared right here helped me more than anything .

jpf

watching video's, learning about things I didn't know I needed to know about!
like I find out using bait may not always be the best, better to use attractant when in fire ant country. didn't think of that?
I don't want to get into processing the fur but don't want to waste any if I ever do actually trap any either, any local Ga. buyers?
much to learn but it's fun to learn.
won't actually start trapping till spring maybe I'll be ready?
thanks guys for the help!

sportsman94

watching video's, learning about things I didn't know I needed to know about!
like I find out using bait may not always be the best, better to use attractant when in fire ant country. didn't think of that?
I don't want to get into processing the fur but don't want to waste any if I ever do actually trap any either, any local Ga. buyers?
much to learn but it's fun to learn.
won't actually start trapping till spring maybe I'll be ready?
thanks guys for the help!

Where are you located? Groenwald makes two stops in Georgia to buy fur. Valdosta and Perry are the two stops on the route.

sleepr71

As already stated…this is a good mix of knowledgeable trappers in this forum.! My Advice: Learn the basics. Before you even bother boiling/prepping traps..get familiar with them.! Practice. Practice. Learn to do a dirt hole set,and how to bed your traps so they don’t “wiggle”. That is KEY to not educating animals. Once they feel that wiggle/wobble under their foot…they gonna dig it up & make ya feel like a dunce;). Develop your own “System”..and stick to it. I just got out in the yard & practiced until I had a system down…THEN I boiled,dyed,coated my traps. I still use ZEPS floor wax to protect mine..it’s cheap..and works fabulous if you give ‘em a few days to lose the smell. Speaking of smell..I wear gloves + rubber boots & kneel on an 18 wheeler mud flap when I set mine. Other(more experienced) trappers smoke & don’t take any special measures. I think MOST do wear gloves & keep their bait+ lures separated from traps & tools. You don’t want lure/urine to get on the trap…nope..they’ll roll on it,or dig it up;) You’ll catch plenty on plain dirt hole sets..then they’ll wise up. Then you can move on to flat sets,urine posts,etc,etc.

Latest posts