Iowa Hunting Question

South Man

I have always wanted to hunt in Iowa. I had a friend tell me that it would take probably 4 years to draw a NR tag to hunt there-is this correct? From what I can tell its like over 500 just to put in and then they send part of it back and I would get a point?

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I have always wanted to hunt in Iowa. I had a friend tell me that it would take probably 4 years to draw a NR tag to hunt there-is this correct? From what I can tell its like over 500 just to put in and then they send part of it back and I would get a point?

We did it in 2 years...altho most do it in 3.

Buy a preference point on their website each year and put in for draw after 2. If you go with an outfitter they will either keep your deposit until the following year or return it back to you

flatsmaster

It also depends on what unit u want to hunt and if u want to hunt with a bow .... Muzzleloader in some less popular units u can draw first yr

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
It also depends on what unit u want to hunt and if u want to hunt with a bow .... Muzzleloader in some less popular units u can draw first yr

yep if you want shotgun or smoker you can sometimes get in every year.

jimmyb

Me and my son are starting to put in this upcoming year hopefully no ehd for the next few years. One of my customers has approximately 5000 acres that boarders Lee and Tiffany Lakowski.He said he lost 50-70 % of his bucks over several seasons,even thought he shoots a 170 plus every year.He said 3 years.

South Man

Me and my son are starting to put in this upcoming year hopefully no ehd for the next few years. One of my customers has approximately 5000 acres that boarders Lee and Tiffany Lakowski.He said he lost 50-70 % of his bucks over several seasons,even thought he shoots a 170 plus every year.He said 3 years.
Jimmy, I plan to put in as well if you need another in your group to split costs! Let me know.

South Man

We did it in 2 years...altho most do it in 3.

Buy a preference point on their website each year and put in for draw after 2. If you go with an outfitter they will either keep your deposit until the following year or return it back to you

Jim, What does a preference point cost? Do you plan to reapply this year?

South Man

$50 and yep we will be buying them and starting over this spring

I'm seriously going to try it! I am buying a point starting this year if you happen to need another tag along to split costs!

WildLines

if you are hunting private land do you have to get points or can you just get an Out of State License and go hunt private.

Kris87

if you are hunting private land do you have to get points or can you just get an Out of State License and go hunt private.

Yes, you still need the points, just to get the license. Unless you know someone there that can get you a governor's tag. :D ;)

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Every third year for us.

Jim Boyd

Sitting on three and trying to decide....2016, 2017.

Will purchase a point this spring whether I go or not - although that might be $50 wasted.

Good luck to all.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Jim don't waste the $$$ if you have 3pts your good.

livetohunt

Even if you own land in Iowa and live out of state you have to go through the process of buying preference points. Iowa has very strict laws on their deer hunting, but that is probably why it is so good for giant bucks.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Even if you own land, if you aren't a resident, you gotta apply for a OOS tag

Jim Boyd

10/4 Unicoi and Miz... Thanks for the good advice.

Now... how far away is November?