Iowa hunting.

jsa1281

Wanting to start putting in for a Iowa hunt with some people. From what I understand you can put in as a group and either get drawn as a group or rejected as a group. I’m a little confused about the points thing. If anyone has info on this or done it befor me please let me know what the deal is so I don’t make a mistake. Thanks.

Pointpuller

Buy your point each year. Depending on the zone it could take 1-4 pts the way things are going. I bowhunted it last year on public ground with 3pts. I spent 4 days scouting 4 counties worth of public ground in September and then hunted the best stuff I found for 12 days in November. Big bucks are there but its tough hunting. The easy access areas had great sign but pheasant hunters, squirrel hunters make it tough. I killed a 120" buck on the 9th day 1.75 miles by the gps from the truck at 9 A.M. Packed him out in driving snow with 30+mph winds. Got the last load out at dark.
All my water bottles froze solid while working him up for backpacking.
Im buying points for next trip but its a tough hunt. Saw giants several times driving to and from hunting areas on private ground. Best buck I saw from the stand was 140". 2 sittings in single digit temps. Windy most days.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
All involved need to build points and then put in together as a group. That way you will either draw or get rejected together. It will be at least 3 years to get drawn, more than likely 4. That's a ways off, start putting back now and book a hunt on private land either with a farmer or a self guided outfitter. Yes it will cost, but you'll be better off on private than public.

leesmith

U need to register yourself into system first, then begin applying for points in early summer. You can draw a muzzle loader tag every other year for most part depending on zone. Possible to draw with zero points in late muzzle loader depending on zone and number of applications. Bow hunting is a lot longer process. Definitely suggest finding private lease or outfitter. If u gonna make trip make it worth while.

Kris87

If you do this as a group, make 100% that every person in the group buys their point each year. The group will only be drawn according to whomever has the lowest point, so say there are three planning on going, and 2 people have 4, and one person only has 3, then the group will be considered to have 3 points.

Jim Boyd

Great, long range thinking.

Hope you make it happen!

WatsonZ71

Just did the Iowa thing this year. It was well worth it, and I’ll start acquiring points again this upcoming year. Me and a good friend of mine have been putting in for points for 4 years and we finally drew our 5th year. Could’ve tried our 4th year, but we wanted SE Iowa, the famed more sought after zone. All our research told us having 4 points would be best. As mentioned above, to my understanding muzzle loader tags are typically an every other year deal. When applying we did apply as a group. The only time the group thing comes into the equation is when actually applying for the tags. Buying preference points is solely individually, but again, as mentioned, make sure your buddies are buying their points as well.

I would absolutely suggest putting back some money and go with a lease, not public nor an outfitter. Me and my buddy go to the midwest every year, and it’s ALWAYS public ground. With the Iowa thing being such a big deal we did things a little different and got a lease. We’re both very glad we did. In the past we’ve pulled up to whichever piece of public ground we decided on for the year, and been on plan B and C right away, and had to readjust our strategy before we even got started. Just the typical stuff that happens when hunting public land. It was refreshing being at the hotel and seeing other hunters in the parking lot and not wondering what they’re doing and where they’re hunting and blah blah. We decided against an outfitter simply because we wanted the opportunity to make multiple trips if need be and not be tied down to just a 1-1.5 week window of the outfitters choosing. Especially with it being a 5 year wait. Good luck with it all, it’s definitely worth it!