Iowa

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
If I remember right it will be on late July when they draw. I would plan on needing 2 points to draw though. Zone 9 is where I go and it's always taken 2

RootConservative

I texted my friend to ask some questions this weekend. But looking at the aerials and having the address to the property I looked on Google Earth street view and was wondering about access. I'll know more this weekend once talking to the owner. However, just looking at the aerial do you recommend bringing a canoe and using it to get to spots to setup climber. Also, most of the trees look small compared to Georgia. Do people hunt out of climbers? popups? ?????? Thanks for all the encouragement. Now I'm mad at myself for not pursuing this until now.

Capture2.JPG

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I texted my friend to ask some questions this weekend. But looking at the aerials and having the address to the property I looked on Google Earth street view and was wondering about access. I'll know more this weekend once talking to the owner. However, just looking at the aerial do you recommend bringing a canoe and using it to get to spots to setup climber. Also, most of the trees look small compared to Georgia. Do people hunt out of climbers? popups? ?????? Thanks for all the encouragement. Now I'm mad at myself for not pursuing this until now.

View attachment 969018

Very few trees that will accept a climber. Most use lockons, ladders and blinds. You probably wont need the canoe for access, but it's always a good option. No different than getting into a hot spot on a middle GA WMA.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I've actually had pretty good success with climbers in a lot of places out there, but it won't work all the time that's for sure. Loc ons are a must have

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I've actually had pretty good success with climbers in a lot of places out there, but it won't work all the time that's for sure. Loc ons are a must have
True. We always have one in the truck just in case, but almost never pull it out of the truck in Iowa or Nebraska and much of Kansas.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Here's my camera man Jim. We were side by side in climbers here in 2015.

BornToHuntAndFish

Since you already have access to land, hope you do not delay hunting Iowa.

The further north you go in Iowa, the higher the potential for worse or tougher weather conditions.

Bill Winke of Midwest Whitetail grew up in NE Iowa, but he bought his 1,000-acre farm in South Central Iowa. His favorite day to hunt is Nov. 7th which can help you plan your travels.

Mark Drury of Drury Outdoors from Missouri bought his hunting land in Southern Iowa.

The Hunting Public folks (Aaron, Greg, & Zach) who use to work for Bill Winke are also in South Central Iowa.

Hope you get to hunt Midwest Iowa whitetails as soon as possible. Good luck. Keep us updated.

Generally little more timber in the south part of the state except for along the Mississippi river on the East.
I also hunt Zone 9 and it will change your deer hunting life once you experience it. People up there don't bat an eye at a 130". You cant describe the feeling when you're sitting in a stand and knowing the next deer that walks by could be a deer of a lifetime.
Ive also hunted Brown and Pike County Illinois and NE Iowa is waaaay better.
We just got on a lease for 660 of the best acres of land you can imagine in Zone 9. Luckily I have some friends that hooked me up on the land and I'm going to send some cameras up in Sept that hes going to put out for me. Including a Spartan cell camera !!!!!!!!!!

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
On the ground tied to a pull up rope. If I could figure out how to embed I'd post the video