onX hunt for finding property lines

leeledger

All the apps use the Q Public information. I know of three properties where those lines are off. The Q Public website has my property off by over 30 feet. Another place was surveyed when it sold. The Q public site has it off by 30 yards. Another place has 20 acres attached to the wrong property owner. No question its his land, but the website has the wrong lines.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Once had a neghbor at a club move my climber cause that app said I was on their side. They were 50 yards off.......completely disregarded all the yellow stripes on trees and ribbon posted by the last surveyor. Left a nice note and all that. I took it back to the spot and kept hunting and sent word to their landowner they were using an app that was off on the lines. No more issues.

Have guy hunting a place behind my place here who uses an app that is off, not just on lines but on who owns what. He's a nice dude but has 6 members in his 60 acre "huntin' club."

Surveys are expensive but they will tell the truth about where the line is. It ain't where I say it is, the app says it is, it is where it is.

westcobbdog

All the apps use the Q Public information. I know of three properties where those lines are off. The Q Public website has my property off by over 30 feet. Another place was surveyed when it sold. The Q public site has it off by 30 yards. Another place has 20 acres attached to the wrong property owner. No question its his land, but the website has the wrong lines.
Valid points and the only way you really know the lines is with at minimum a boundary line survey. If buying land be certain and get this plus one that shows "title" like easements. Not to sound negative I have seen surveyors goof up, too.

Last edited:

Robust Redhorse

According to onX, my dad has lakefront property!

But, I'm sure his property ends more than 100 yards from the lake. I wish it were true, because I used to have permission to fish that lake and it was a VERY GOOD private bass lake.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Apparently, from what I've been told, there are professional GPS systems/devices available to contractors and surveyors that are within inches accuracy instead of many feet , but the cost has three or four extra zeros on the end of the price.
And they probably dont have preloaded maps or property lines...
:huh:

roscoe54

I don't trust anything but a survey I have a friend who got into it with his neighbor about the property lines I try telling him to get a survey before he said anything He said he new the lines Well his neighbor paid for a survey his neighbor was right close to three acres Now him and his neighbor are no longer friends

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently, from what I've been told, there are professional GPS systems/devices available to contractors and surveyors that are within inches accuracy instead of many feet , but the cost has three or four extra zeros on the end of the price.
And they probably dont have preloaded maps or property lines...
:huh:
The Trimbles I use at work cost several thousand apiece, along with specialized software to process the data. And you still have to post-process your GPS data against a base station to get really accurate. And, that's assuming that you have good satellite geometry when you collect the data.

Ihunt

A few years ago, one of the tv Hunter personalities got a ticket for trespassing because he was using and assuming that ONX was correct.

Latest posts