Is it me or did the does give birth late this year ???

pete2018

I can understand see fawns with spots in archery season. But I I have been letting a lot of does walk just like this morning because the fawns are super small and still have spots ??? I hunt in south Ga..

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I saw some little bitty ones last week.

Ray357

AWOL
I can understand see fawns with spots in archery season. But I I have been letting a lot of does walk just like this morning because the fawns are super small and still have spots ??? I hunt in south Ga..
Around here, there was a very late, what I would call 3rd rut.

Hillbilly stalker

My buddy shot a doe 2 nights ago that had almost a full size fawn in her....she was ready to drop. She just looked real healthy not really like she was carrying. Does anyone know the gestation period for a deer ?

rugerfan

My buddy shot a doe 2 nights ago that had almost a full size fawn in her....she was ready to drop. She just looked real healthy not really like she was carrying. Does anyone know the gestation period for a deer ?

According to what I just read online, the gestation period is roughly 200 days. Which is what, around 6 and 3/4 months. So that deer was bred in March????

Hillbilly stalker

Must be....I think if we had a more defined rut they would be on a more predictable schedule. I shot a buck one year smoking a doe opening day of archery season which is Sept 15. My neighbor killed a good buck yesterday evening, neck all swoll and hocks all pizzed up. Usually just the youngsters are showing out this early. I guess it’s our fluctuating weather.

rugerfan

Must be....I think if we had a more defined rut they would be on a more predictable schedule. I shot a buck one year smoking a doe opening day of archery season which is Sept 15. My neighbor killed a good buck yesterday evening, neck all swoll and hocks all pizzed up. Usually just the youngsters are showing out this early. I guess it’s our fluctuating weather.

Yeah, I saw chasing last weekend, when I left the truck at 5:50 am, it was 46 degrees, high for that day was 64. Now this weekend the low is 62 and the high is going to be 80. I honestly believe that the rut comes in and out these days, due to weather and when does in the area come into cycle.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The funny part, some of the ones I've seen are nearly as big as mama, and some still are tiny with faint spots.

Cmcharles

In our area the doe population is way up. Too many does and they can’t all get bred 1st or 2nd go round. I know for me we need to tighten our ratio back up.

Jim Boyd

There are variances in nature but in general, the years even out

amoore28

I have seen three different does this season with twin fawn with spots in Turner County

Rackinup

BA548D92-AE9F-4E79-A3FB-99CE2B64807B.jpeg
I was wondering the same thing. (Date is correct, time is not lol)

buckpasser

2020 is screwed up every which way...

hambone76

We have a November and December rut at my lease. I’m sure in highly populated areas, like ours, there might be more breeding to occur another 28 and even 56 days later.