Is Satan, Lucifer, Beelzebub, etc. all the same Devil?

Artfuldodger

I guess this talk of the end times and the Antichrist has got me wondering if it's all the same entity. Is the Antichrist the son of Satan born of a human woman?

Artfuldodger

Even in the early America's the Puritans warned against "imputing to the Devil too much of our own sin and guilt."
Just another aspect perhaps in that it's sometimes easier to blame the devil instead of ourselves.

But back to the main topic, did the early Church somehow since they had all the books newly assembled say something like "hey, all of these supernatural demons that are man's true enemies is really the same persona.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think most of these devils are all deep inside the human brain.

Big7

The Oracle

Artfuldodger

And in the dem*rat party. ?

The Devil is the Devil tho.
Only one.
You don't think he has different personas like the Trinity?

The Hebrew name Satan actually means “adversary,” and most often in the Hebrew Bible it is prefaced by the direct object, meaning “the adversary” rather than a distinct personal name.

I wonder if some council of Nicea sit down one day and said "all of these various accounts in scripture is Satan."

Artfuldodger

Who will be the mother of the antichrist? Will she also be a virgin entered and overcome by Satan or Satan's spirit? Maybe from a human father but perhaps Cruella will be entered at conception by the devil. Similar to people who are pocessed by demons.

That would take a lot of supernatural power and Satan would have to know when to do it. He'd have to get that knowledge from God. I'm assuming Satan doesn't know yet when to send his antichrist. Satan doesn't get to control the end times events. At least not yet nor the timing.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

I guess not even Free Will will let the Antichrist be saved. Sorta reminds me of Pharoah. Right?
I would sure hate to be the one to witness the Gospel to the antichrist. Every human must be offered a choice, even if we already know what that choice will be.

Madman

Who will be the mother of the antichrist? Will she also be a virgin entered and overcome by Satan or Satan's spirit? Maybe from a human father but perhaps Cruella will be entered at conception by the devil. Similar to people who are pocessed by demons.

That would take a lot of supernatural power and Satan would have to know when to do it. He'd have to get that knowledge from God. I'm assuming Satan doesn't know yet when to send his antichrist. Satan doesn't get to control the end times events. At least not yet nor the timing.
There has been, are, and will be, many anti-Christ’s.

Big7

The Oracle
You don't think he has different personas like the Trinity?

The Hebrew name Satan actually means “adversary,” and most often in the Hebrew Bible it is prefaced by the direct object, meaning “the adversary” rather than a distinct personal name.

I wonder if some council of Nicea sit down one day and said "all of these various accounts in scripture is Satan."

Various writings of the ECF's and St. Gregory the Great define him (singular) as the first fallen angel.

The clarity, given in the CCC states:

• Behind the disobedient choice of our first parents lurks a seductive voice, opposed to God, which makes them fall into death out of envy. Scripture and the Church’s Tradition see in this being a fallen angel, called “Satan” or the “devil.” The Church teaches that Satan was at first a good angel, made by God: The devil and the other demons were indeed created naturally good by God, but they became evil by their own doing (CCC # 391).