Is this snake friend or foe?

Chrisl8n

I've seen it in the pond at the house 2 or 3 times. I don't know if it's a copperhead or a water snake. It doesn't look to have the viper shaped noggin on it but I'd hate to be wrong.IMG_20150506_233335938.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It`s a watersnake.

Don`t rely on a triangle shaped head for a positive ID on a snake.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
this is the pattern you look for on a copperhead.

It kinda looks like a Hersey Kisses...

Attachments

• copperhead.jpg
    copperhead.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 2,179

Chrisl8n

Thank you fellers. I'd prbly still have to change my drawers if it struck at me. I've only seen it at night when I'm walking around the edge looking at the minnows sleeping and the crawdads....crawing. But it gets your attention.

Barry Duggan

Only a foe when it's fighting you over your stringer of fish.

mdgmc84

To my dogs it's a chew toy, heard them causing a ruckus the other day and they had got one, one had it's head, the other had it's tail and they were playing tug-o-war with it. Harmless water snake thankfully

watermedic

They can me mean as heck.

They will strike at you from 5 feet away too.

But they are harmless.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Banded Watersnake.

Harmless, but like others have stated, mean, have a nasty bite....

I quit trying to catch them a long time ago...

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Always heard triangle was venimous?Is that rt Head wise?

No, not always. Several non venomous types can have a triangle shaped head. A surefire way to ID a pit viper is to look at the eye. If it has an elliptical (cat eye) pupil, it is venomous.

egomaniac247

I heard(?) that water snakes have some type of something in them that if they bite you, your blood has a hard time coagulating and hence you'll bleed for a while.

I've never come across a water snake that I considered picking up because they are some ornery cusses.

I heard(?) that water snakes have some type of something in them that if they bite you, your blood has a hard time coagulating and hence you'll bleed for a while.

I've never come across a water snake that I considered picking up because they are some ornery cusses.

Water snakes, and many other snakes, have a mild venom. It's not fatal or potentially fatal unless you're a frog. People react to the venom differently. I don't have any reaction to their bite, because I don't mess with them. There are some questions I can stand not knowing the answer to.