It Won`t Save You

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
The men coal mined in my family. The women and children worked the garden during the day. After a day of coal mining those guys often worked until dark. Not an easy life but productive.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The men coal mined in my family. The women and children worked the garden during the day. After a day of coal mining those guys often worked until dark. Not an easy life but productive.
No coal holes around here in our Precambrian bedrock, but it would probably had been the same if there were.

Redbow

I don't remember a single older member of my family who held a public job, except a few who went off to Michigan and worked at GM. Most of them farmed a little piece of land to make their own food, raised a little crop of tobacco and and did some carpentering and such on the side to get enough cash for taxes and stuff you couldn't grow. Dad never had a bank account until he was old, didn't trust them at all. I reckon Grandpa and Grandma never had one.
My Grandpa and Grandma on my Mom's side of the family never had a bank account. They both remembered when many people lost all their money when banks were closed during the big depression and they never trusted a bank to keep what little money they scratched out on the farm. Funny thing though, my Grandpa went to the bank in Selma NC every spring and borrowed 100 dollars from the banker there to buy seed and fertilizer for planting his crops. Just word of mouth with borrowing the 100 bucks the old man never signed anything for the money. The banker knew my Grandpa's word was his bond the bank would get its money back when Grandpa sold his first barn of tobacco and they surely did.

oldfella1962

Their precip comes as snow….

Elko County, Nevada gets 12 inches of rain, on average, per year. The US average is 38 inches of rain per year.

Elko County averages 59 inches of snow per year. The US average is 28 inches of snow per year.
Yep - convert that snow to rain (10 to 1 ratio on average) and Elko County Nevada would get only another 6 inches of rain giving to 18 inches total. And factor in that many other counties in Nevada that don't have mountains get less than that! And the Great Basin is seriously desolate. No thanks to living in Nevada, but that's just my personal preference.

scout1961

You kill a deer. There is no electricity and you have no salt, and you`re here in the South. You and yours can`t eat it all before the rest of it spoils. What are you gonna do with it?
I work with some Nigerian/Americans/Gwinnetians and they sprinkle at little Myrrh on their rotting meat and it lasts a lot longer… Also I have learned to never eat any of their meat products!!!

leroy

Unless you got a group of like minded family ( and friends) in a TEOTWAWEKI situation, lone wolfing it is going to get you slotted and your stuff taken ASAP.

Cant pull security 24/7 or defend a position against group of determined attackers.

Just something to ponder on.

Yep, complete darkness if power is gone other than firelight or generator both of which will attract said attackers.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hunter gatherers got the vast majority of their calories from gathering, not hunting
Depends on what they're gathering. You can eat fifty pounds of leaves a day, and it won't keep you going like a pound of meat.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
100% correct. Hunting is tough and it's a far less renewable resource. The woods will feed you, but you need to know how to get it
Yep. Traps and snares and deadfalls are your friends, too. I know all about edible plants in great detail, but I also know that I couldn't live off of them. A few hours turning over rocks in the branch catching crawfish is worth a week of harvesting greens. Nuts in the fall are also a major source of protein and fat and calories to be collected and stored. Walnuts, hickory nuts, hazelnuts, chinkapins, and acorns are much more cost effective to harvest than poke sallet and branch lettuce.

treemanjohn

Banned
Yep. Traps and snares and deadfalls are your friends, too. I know all about edible plants in great detail, but I also know that I couldn't live off of them. A few hours turning over rocks in the branch catching crawfish is worth a week of harvesting greens. Nuts in the fall are also a major source of protein and fat and calories to be collected and stored. Walnuts, hickory nuts, hazelnuts, chinkapins, and acorns are much more cost effective to harvest than poke sallet and branch lettuce.
Most definitely. Nuts would be king in the fall. Native Americans had a lot of stuff that's in short supply now. What was the land of the plenty is now condos

Our population would be the biggest downfall. Feeding everyone would be a dog fight. There would be a deer left in the state of Georgia within 6 months if the stuff hit the fan.

jrickman

Most definitely. Nuts would be king in the fall. Native Americans had a lot of stuff that's in short supply now. What was the land of the plenty is now condos

Our population would be the biggest downfall. Feeding everyone would be a dog fight. There would be a deer left in the state of Georgia within 6 months if the stuff hit the fan.
This right here…

You better have your small game skills sharp, have some chickens, and maybe some meat rabbits if you don’t have the land for real livestock. The rivers and lakes will be fished out with a quickness, and deer will be nearly extinct. The scourge of hogs may save us in the end, but I wouldn’t plan on it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Our current population is not sustainable without large-scale agriculture and a means to transport meat and crops quickly and reliably from one area to another without them spoiling.

treemanjohn

Banned
This right here…

You better have your small game skills sharp, have some chickens, and maybe some meat rabbits if you don’t have the land for real livestock. The rivers and lakes will be fished out with a quickness, and deer will be nearly extinct. The scourge of hogs may save us in the end, but I wouldn’t plan on it.
Smart folks would trap hogs and try to raise them. Rabbits are an excellent choice, but it sure would be nice to have a reliable source of fat.

That said once you get your farm going you better be able to defend it with a fury.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This right here…

I think most of the people would be gone before all the game and fish are. Half the hunters on here don't even know how to clean a deer, or care to learn. It's not just about big game, either. Small animals are more reliable in the long run. A big animal is a bonus. And fish aren't going anywhere.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Smart folks would trap hogs and try to raise them. Rabbits are an excellent choice, but it sure would be nice to have a reliable source of fat.

That said once you get your farm going you better be able to defend it with a fury.
There are only three sources of good, edible cooking fat in our area that I know of. Bear, hogs, and ducks. Groundhogs and coons, too, but it wouldn't taste like Crisco. Deer tallow is not very good for cooking. You can make oil from walnuts and hickory nuts, but it's not easy or productive.