It's been a solid 20 years,,,

GA1dad

Since I had zipper peas. Twenty plus years back my first wife wanted a divorce,,, and took her momma with her. Her momma cooked the best zipper peas,,, and I have sure missed them. Well today I stepped up and had a go at them. Shame on me for not trying sooner,,, they turned out great!!! Also had some pulled pork from the freezer that I thawed out. This was some fine, country grub!!

20221016_172725.jpg

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Pour just a little bit of bacon grease or lard in the pot, add either some bacon, cured side meat, fatback, hambone, smoked hog jowl, or a smoked ham hock, and fry for a minute or two. Touch of salt, the peas, whether they be zippers, purple hulls, cream 8s or 40s, crowders, butterbeans, don`t matter. Cover with water and simmer them babies for a couple of hours till they good and tender.

Dang, I done flung a cravin` on my own self now....

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Zipper peas are my very favorite.:rockon: Put a bit of bacon grease in the pot and your good to go.

OwlRNothing

We love zippers, but they're hard to find sometimes in regular grocery chains. Kroger had some this spring, but mostly we find them at veg. stands or small stores. They're delicious with a ham bone in 'em or other seasoning.

GA1dad

Pour just a little bit of bacon grease or lard in the pot, add either some bacon, cured side meat, fatback, hambone, smoked hog jowl, or a smoked ham hock, and fry for a minute or two. Touch of salt, the peas, whether they be zippers, purple hulls, cream 8s or 40s, crowders, butterbeans, don`t matter. Cover with water and simmer them babies for a couple of hours till they good and tender.

Dang, I done flung a cravin` on my own self now....

Thanka Nic.

Yep, pretty much what I did. Browned a couple of thick pieces of fat back with a chopped onion, then added water and beans to the pot. I also added some smoked black pepper at the end. I looked around and couldn't find any ham hocks. Next time I see them I'm gonna stock up. Since I'm the only bean eater in the house, I am having left over beans for lunch this week,,,, and of course I course they are getting better each day.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
One of our absolute favorites also. We luckily had a really good crop of them this year and our freezer is well stocked with them for the winter.

Joel

One of our absolute favorites also. We luckily had a really good crop of them this year and our freezer is well stocked with them for the winter.

I HAD a good crop going myself until the electric fence was left off for just one night. Blame deer mowed down 18 50' rows in one night. Reckon they'll be trading me some backstraps for those peas!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I HAD a good crop going myself until the electric fence was left off for just one night. Blame deer mowed down 18 50' rows in one night. Reckon they'll be trading me some backstraps for those peas!

Oh man! I feel you on that one. A few years back I talked myself out of picking mine on night. I came back the next day and it looked like a lawnmower had run over them. I was sick to my stomach.