Its our Job..... Lets Do it

SwampWise

Hey guys...I started a thread earlier this week regarding the Ga. Turkey Population. I think its our job to do something about it and to be honest the only ones that will in my opinion.

From what I have read from my post everything from chicken litter, contaminated feed, disease ect... are possible culprits in the population decline.

We can do something about this, its within reach.

I have ideas and open to more but who is willing to step up with me and do our part. We need outdoorsman from all parts of the state to step up and gather this info so we can go to the state with well rounded data from reliable sources.

1. Lets test the feed & feeders ( corn, protein mixes for the deer etc...)
The most cost effective ways is going to use our local university systems biology depts. along with county extension agents and I think they will welcome it.

- corn & feed samples from your local suppliers (tractor supply and feed houses) Get them tested for disease and pathogens, chemicals etc... and get the results on paper.

- Test feeders - soil samples around the feeder, surface samples off feeders. Test them

- Kills - going to be tough this late in the season but a local Vet, university or biologist could possibly do blood test etc... and provide reliable results.

- You chicken litter guys should be able to get your hands on some and get it tested. I personally dont have access to it but it needs to come from out in the field.

This isn't really time sensitive but we need to start now before things get out of hand.

Where do we start ? How do we get there? How do we move forward?

Any ideas or opinions?

nick_o_demus

I commend you, sir! It is most definitely going to be left up to us. I'm in!

my two cents...

(1) We need to be more proactive in controlling the natural predator population both post season and during season if possible. If you can't take the time to hunt them, maybe you can spend a day setting traps or snares and check them every so often? But do something. This in my opinion is the easiest way to help and I'm always looking for a good excuse to get into the woods during the off season.

(2) If you have the funds/means of doing so test your feed of choice. Not sure where to begin on this one myself but someone on here knows. It would be nice to rule out or confirm the corn feed possibility since it is such a hot topic.

(3) Practice "feeding" with natural sources in food plots (assuming you have them). I know they like chufa grass. This will be difficult given the number of us that hunt both deer and turkeys on the same properties.

(4) Those among us who still believe the NWTF has the power to help need to have a serious conversation with your local chapter president. I talk to mine every week since we are colleagues (I might have some connections higher up as well). We can gripe and moan about what little they do but when push comes to shove how many of us have made a real effort to contact them regarding the need for their assistance? I will work this angle as best I can. Maybe a dead end, but maybe not.

(5) Contact your local DNR ranger. These guys hunt just like we do. Perhaps they can suggest which paths to take or who to contact for testing?
http://www.georgiawildlife.com/RangerContact?cat=9

(6) We need to understand our populations in the off season. I always hear guys say "I saw 40 turkeys today" while they're deer hunting. Put out trail cams, stop by in the early morning and listen for the flydown. to get a good idea of where they are roosting. I know at our camp they are always there in the winter but thin out in the spring. This might help steer us in the right direction if the population problem lasts ALL year.

(7) ETHICS!!! TEACH THEM! I love seeing your young'uns and their first kills. Makes me smile, but make sure they're doing for the same reason you were taught. Teach them to respect their prey. And don't be afraid to report suspected poaching.

I'm sure there are many more ideas out there.

Nick

j_seph

Is turkey declining or is it just the areas you hunt? We have had 5 mature birds killed on 500 acres and usually have 4 to 5 every year. We do not shoot Jakes and the fields that join us gets tons of chicken litter on them every year. Have seen as many as 30 birds out in the fields at one time.

nick_o_demus

Is turkey declining or is it just the areas you hunt? We have had 5 mature birds killed on 500 acres and usually have 4 to 5 every year. We do not shoot Jakes and the fields that join us gets tons of chicken litter on them every year. Have seen as many as 30 birds out in the fields at one time.

Only time will tell, but sitting around waiting and doing nothing in the mean time never helped anyone.

Sounds like a good year so far at your place! We've only had three birds all year on 700 acres (only 2 of us). No jakes. Hope you can end the season well.

4x4

KILL ALL COYOTES!!!

One of my favorite properties used to be loaded with birds. Past 2 seasons the coyote scat has been full of quills from turkey feathers. I have seen turkeys there, but havent herd a gobble in years.

I know thats not the only problem, but it is a problem.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Swampwise I'm interested.
I don't know what to do but I'm interested in helping.

May I also add the decline of coon huntin as a possibility.
Seems like when I was a teenager over 20 years ago now it was very common in NE Georgia for groups to be coon huntin everywhere.
I remember in my late teens the older hunters, our mentors, were always sad for all the large tracks of land getting sub divided and development everywhere.
Now coon hunters are rare and the land for them to hunt on is even more scarce!!!!
Huntin raccoons in my opinion and first hand experience was an excellent varmit control!!! Raccoon, possum, skunks, even a bobcat from time to time would end up on some kids skinnin board!!!

shootemall

I did a quota deer hunt a few years ago, and the dnr, cdc, and local university were there doing tests. They pulled all the ticks they could find off my deer, and i gave them samples from said deer, of lung, liver, spleen, kidney, blood and the lower jaw. They recorded weight, and antler measurements. I was cautious at first that cdc was there, but they reassured me all was safe. Maybe i can find that old email, reply all, and solicit their input on turkeys. I'm all for preserving this heritage for the next generation, and if my kids are into turkey hunting half of what i am, healthy turkeys would be quite the legacy.

erhunter

I think this is a great way to show respect for this bird who has given us and our families so much enjoyment.

It sounds like we need to develop a network of committed people by geographical area. We should agree on a top 5 critical issues that need work.

I think we must, unfortunately, involve the NWTF from the start and leverage what they may have for our efforts.

We may need to take this offline and get an email listserve and phone list of interested/willing/committed people and divide up the work by counties.

I will be committed that on my lease and my father in laws property to rid as many predators as possible, create the dusting areas they need, not mow down all the potential cover areas. I will look into the feed issues discussed.

I live in the Kennesaw area and I'd be happy to lead any local efforts to reach out to property owners, lease holders and talk about our mission.

I think we owe it to this bird and I think we can do it

billy336

Not being allowed to trap coons and possum year round is dumb. No hatch, no birds. I average 70 coon and a dozen possum per year on the 640 I manage here in FL. How many are on your hunting ground? More than you know.....

coastalredneck

I've been after turkeys since I was 9 years old. Exclusively in SE Ga. With that said I feel it's the habitat that has changed bird densities. Clear-cutting increasing every year but was very popular in the early 2000's.. That being said a lot of places that held great populations got thick as u know what and turkeys don't like the thick woods. Also leading to their demise as predictors can get a turkey in thick woods

jakebuddy

You can trap coons and possum all year contact game management about a land management permit you have to have a legit management plan with maps and written plan of how trapping and shooting will be significant its not hard to get but like I said it has to be legit.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I commend you, sir! It is most definitely going to be left up to us. I'm in!

my two cents...

(1) We need to be more proactive in controlling the natural predator population both post season and during season if possible. If you can't take the time to hunt them, maybe you can spend a day setting traps or snares and check them every so often? But do something. This in my opinion is the easiest way to help and I'm always looking for a good excuse to get into the woods during the off season.

Might want to check the trapping regs on that "every so often" thing.;)

Other than that I agree. This is the #1 thing you can do. It's not just coyotes, bobcats and foxes either. Coons and possums are nest/egg destroyers. Make the effort to make predator hunting a part of your conservation effort.

And if you are baiting, consider not doing it anymore.

geebler

Not being allowed to trap coons and possum year round is dumb. No hatch, no birds. I average 70 coon and a dozen possum per year on the 640 I manage here in FL. How many are on your hunting ground? More than you know.....

I agree. Alabama just passed a new law allowing coons and possums to be killed all year. I wish Georgia would follow suit as no doubt most places are inundated with them.

sea trout

I'm sorry I don't get the negatives with supplemental feeding still????
I mean......I see whats being said about the concentrated congregation spreading disease.....but they're a flock animal. They're scratching under the same water oak tree, eating the same food plots, dusting in the same bowls whether we add food to their diet or not.

The corn being unfit for turkeys is one thing that I kinda understand. That's kinda our job.....I think we shouldn't have to spend all the effort however. I think feed stores, walmart, academy, and so on, should hear our concern for the health of our flocks and herds and we should demand a clean product! They should hear that and make sure they have a clean product on the shelf for sale.

Gaswamp

I'm sorry I don't get the negatives with supplemental feeding still????
I mean......I see whats being said about the concentrated congregation spreading disease.....but they're a flock animal. They're scratching under the same water oak tree, eating the same food plots, dusting in the same bowls whether we add food to their diet or not.

The corn being unfit for turkeys is one thing that I kinda understand. That's kinda our job.....I think we shouldn't have to spend all the effort however. I think feed stores, walmart, academy, and so on, should hear our concern for the health of our flocks and herds and we should demand a clean product! They should hear that and make sure they have a clean product on the shelf for sale.

Wild animals depend on and are sustained by good habitat, not supplemental feed.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Joe,
To me turkeys are in general decline all over franklin and stephens county.
If you have access to the right spots there are still flocks to hunt. I can show you areas with turkeys and adjacent areas that don't have any. They used to but not anymore. As the overall population decreases they tend to congregate in the best habitat available. If you don't have access to that property your out of luck.

As to the OP. I have already decided to do something. I went to war with the yotes about 4 years ago. I have taken 26 with the gun. Next winter I am going after the nest predators too.

sea trout

Wild animals depend on and are sustained by good habitat, not supplemental feed.

100 percent I agree!!! There is no substitute for appropriate habitat! And I don't supplemental feed yet, except our many food plots, but I've been interested about supplementing corn in the future.
I want to learn why it's not good for animals to congregate under a broadcast spreader?
I can understand a feeder, where animals eat from the same trough. Mixing of saliva and such.
But I kinda view a corn spreader and browsing, as if browsing under the same oak tree, fruit tree, clover plot.

I'm not arguing or stressing my point, I just really wanna learn some reasons.
Thanks!!

Timber1

BANNED
Start making your license fee checks out to me instead of dnr and then Ill make it my job. Until then my job is to kill gobblers and dnr's job is to make sure I have enough turkeys to do my job. First thing they can do is hire more law enforcement. I haven't seen a game warden in several years. They could go around the edges of John's Mtn. WMA on the leased and private land during turkey season and have enough baiting cases to pay for a couple new leo's.
I am sure this is the case on many wmas.

j_seph

Start making your license fee checks out to me instead of dnr and then Ill make it my job. Until then my job is to kill gobblers and dnr's job is to make sure I have enough turkeys to do my job. First thing they can do is hire more law enforcement. I haven't seen a game warden in several years. They could go around the edges of John's Mtn. WMA on the leased and private land during turkey season and have enough baiting cases to pay for a couple new leo's.
It is up to each of us to do our part, not to rely on one entity to do it for us. Not basing but your response seems a little on the selfish side

NUTT

Do you actually see people hunting over bait there or is this just a rant? Are you turning in these violations? That's YOUR job as a sportsman and don't expect a check for it.