Just watchin' "Bucks"!!!!!!!!

H

HT2

I tell ya what.....

I've seen quite a few "decent" bucks this year that were bucks that I could have shot. I do enjoy taking a good buck, but it's gettin' to where I "ALMOST" and I mean "ALMOST" just sittin' there watchin' a buck and his demeanor of what he does, as much as I do taking one.......

Think this is weird, or am I just gettin' old????? :p :p

I know what I might call a "mediocre" buck, might be a trophy to others.....I respect that, but I'm also glad that I'm able to make that choice in the county that I hunt in, and also the club I'm in........I really, really enjoy watchin' the bucks, in hope that a really, Good One might come thru one day....

Anybody else at all like this????? ::huh:

Junebug

i hear ya' HT2...

The last 5 years or so I have passed on dozens of bucks (does too)...and it gets easier and easier every time. It probably does sound wierd to some folks but the more I do it, the easier it gets, the more enjoyable it gets. I just like watching deer...all wildlife for that matter.

The way I determine whether to shoot or not is if he gives me a serious case of the shakes!

Junebug

Last edited:
H

HT2

June.....

That is exactly right!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how many times I've saw a "marginal" buck, IMO, and never ever pick up my gun.....

It's fun sittin' there watchin' a buck that you know you ain't gonna shoot...... :clap:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Same here Tim...and I have never taken a real good buck. Just have never cared for taking a medium sized buck...want a bruiser or a doe.

Jim

H

HT2

J T.....

Alright JT....

Everybody likes a little butt....

Nobody likes a smart butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Duff

HT,

I have learned alot over the last few years by watching bucks like you are talking about. At least I've got to see alot of things I never would have before, by not shooting the first buck that stepped out.

But think about what you posted. QM club, QM county? Letting bucks walk?? Could you imagine saying that 10 yrs ago? We should consider oursleves lucky that hunting in GA is where it is at today. I know some areas are better that other, but overall its a pretty good state to hunt in.

Good luck, and I hope you haven't raised your standards so high that you have let that buck you got a pic of in your plot walk :bounce:

CAL

You boys aren't getting old!I think you all are successeful hunters.One thing you have realized, you don't have to shoot everything you see to have a good hunt.I find sometimes we learn more by sitting still and looking than we do by shooting the first thing we see.Has worked for me in the past anyway. :cool:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
CAL said:
You boys aren't getting old!I think you all are successeful hunters.One thing you have realized, you don't have to shoot everything you see to have a good hunt.I find sometimes we learn more by sitting still and looking than we do by shooting the first thing we see.Has worked for me in the past anyway. :cool:
Nothing quite like watching a deer that has no idea you are there. What a learning experience every time it happens.

Jim

H

HT2

Duff.....

Nope that one that walked in my Food Plot has "BEEN TAKEN"!!!!!!!!!!! :( :(

That buddy of mine, shot him last Tuesday Evening.......He was a good buck!!!!!!!!!

True 8-pointer with 8 inch brow tines and the G-2's were 14 inches long!!!!!!!!! Inside spread was 18 inches and the outside spread was 21 inches!!!!!!! Very good buck, with really good mass!!!!!!!! If I didn't shoot him, I'm glad he did......He didn't shoot him out of my box stand in the cut.......The deer was approx. 1/4 mile away in the swamp at the duck pond.......I do believe there is a couple more on camera that we got pictures of that are still running around though.......

I hadn't seen him while I was hunting or I would have busted him!!!!!!!! He was one of them kind that you wouldn't have to think about.......No Brainer!!!!!!!! :fine:

We did try the "QDM" deal years before the "QDM" practices were implemented in Hancock County......It really didn't work very well for us......We abided by it, but nobody around us did......We would let a small buck walk and just a few moments later, you would here somebody on an adjoining cut loose and shoot him.........

I'm glad the whole county is "QDM" now..... :cool:

TurkeyCreek

Tim,

i know exactly what you are talking about. it does add a whole new experience to hunting by not shooting every buck you see and watch them and learn from them. i've heard folks say that us "QDM-fans" are taking the fun out of hunting, but i say its just the opposite. while i do agree that there definate drawbacks to QDM, letting smaller bucks (and even some "shooter bucks") walk really do add to the experience of being in the woods and watching nature. i would have never seen bucks rub trees, make scapes or chase does if i still operated like in the old days and shoot at the first sign of antlers. me and a couple of my buddies had been passing on small bucks for years and guys in our club (including my Dad) just could not understand it.

taking a camera, either a still or video, to the stand will add even more fun for ya.