keeping your powder dry

frankwright

Inline and sidelock I cover the muzzle with electrical tape to keep any water out.
Hunting with sidelock I do everything I can to keep nipple area dry. I tuck it under my coat when sitting or wrap it with a piece of tarp wrapped around it.

Hillbilly stalker

Balloon on the end of the barrel. I keep one in the patch box. A real loose piece of celefane over the hammer and nipple. I try not to hunt in the rain tho, unless I’m on a good un that needs to die quick like

SASS249

I use a flintlock. Thin bead of grease around the pan, lower the frizzen and you have a pretty waterproof seal, Do need to seal around frizzen and barrel. This will work but usually I just stick a feather in the touchhole, close the frizzen, keep the rifle as Nic said under my arm or coat withe barrel pointed down. Only takes a second to prime and shoot.

However, hunting in the rain is not my favorite thing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Damp air, nothing. If you have a rifle that damp air will affect your charge, you need a new rifle. Ditto if you need to put anything over the end of the barrel. I have never had any issues with dampness, really. I have hunted all day in the hard rain with a caplock many times, and never had it fail to fire. And I don't put any crap over the end of my barrel or such. Like Nic said, keep the barrel pointed down and the lock/breech under your arm. I don't like hunting in the rain with a flintlock. I have had a few misfires with those. But, if it isnt pouring, the keep it under your arm works too. I don't see how it could be an issue with an inline unless it's built awful shoddy.

JoPa

I cut the fingers off a latex glove, slip one over the barrel, keep the rest in my pack.

Darkhorse

Most years I hunt with a flintlock rifle 95% of deer season as I have done for over 40 years. In all kinds of weather. But now, if rains in the forcast I take a centerfire.

florida boy

I sure appreciate the info guys ! I will be hunting in colorado for 9 days and storms blow up on the mountain sometimes . I finally drew the tag i wanted this year and surely dont want to take the chance on a missfire .

Hillbilly stalker

If you have a sling on your muzzle loader, sooner or later you will point the muzzle straight up. Especially if your out west where they hike way back in. A .99 cent pack of balloons is pretty cheap insurance against moisture. Watch any WWII documentary where our boys took the beaches and notice what they have over their muzzles . And thems center fire rifles. Good luck with your hunt and take some pictures for us, that's one place I've always wanted to see.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I wonder what sort of balloon or tape all my CSA ancestors used when it was raining during the War?

ryanh487

One thing to keep in mind - don't keep your rifle in a nice warm cabin, camper or tent and then take it straight out into the cold when the muzzle is sealed with tape or a baloon. You'll get condensation in your barrel. Just leave it in the truck overnight so the temp stays constant.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
They did fashion a nipple cover by carving up lead balls to cover the hole then let the hammer down on top.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
They did fashion a nipple cover by carving up lead balls to cover the hole then let the hammer down on top.

Earlier than that the frontiersmen and longhunters would skin out the knee from the hind leg of a calf, elk, or young bison, dry it, cut it to length, add a bone or antler closure pin, grease it good, and use it as a lock cover.

Darkhorse

They called it a "Cows Knee". I know what you're thinking but your wrong, that's what they called it. I have one I keep greased with a waterproof boot dressing. Mine is made for a left hand lock and has 2 long leather thongs that wrap around the lock area and ties tight.
I also use a hammer stall which covers the frizzen. And yes, some people call this a "frizzen cover".

F.A.R.R.

I cover the whole lock with a leather “cows knee”. Greese up the cows knee with something like Montana pitch blend and it will shed rain nicely.

With a flintlock on wet days you need to pay a lot of attention to your priming powder in the pan and change it out lot- it can absoard moisture easy and turn to black soup if not tended to.

If your gonna be carrying a flint lock or cap lock shoot it out at the end of the day on rainy days , clean it up ,and load a new charge.

In lines loaded with black powder stubstites and a 209 primer can handle a lot of wet weather

Last edited: