Killing yellow jacket nest under leaves?

telsonman

So I've been looking for another yellow jacket nest in my yard for a few months now. Found one in mid summer right by our front walkway under some pinestraw. I had to use a rake a few times to get to where I could see where the nest was. It took a while because I would rake once, then run inside like a little girl, then do it again a couple hours later. When it was night time, I sprayed it down with hornet killer and then doused it with gasoline.

My question here is about a new way to get to the nest. I'm still going to douse it with gasoline because that kills them quick. I just want an easier way to see the nest. The rake method is pretty ballsy, and I don't feel like getting stung. Could a leaf blower or something work, or am I going to be forced to man up and rake those leaves?

bobman

rake it early in the am when its cold then just put 7 dust on the ground at the entrance they track it inside and it kills them all

matthewsman

easy

Find the entrance hole. Put some gas in a coke bottle. Go out there after dark. Put coke bottle upside down in the hole. No more yellow jackets.

jason4445

I had the same thing last year, built right next to the foundation of the house under a foot or so of leaves. I went out at night and raked three times quickly and took off. I turned on the flood light and there was a ball of yellow 6 feet in diameter. Then I turned on the outside porch light and they attacked that. So many jackets on it they almost completely blocked out most of the light from the fixture. The next night I did the gas thing. The next day I raked the rest of the leaves and it was a three level nest each level was the size of a dinner plate.

BriarPatch99

Just make sure there is only one entrance hole ... I've seen them with three before. We used to rob them for fish bait... the grubs make fine bream bait.

Jimmy K