Lake Winfield Scott?

I'm taking my grandson there this weekend and we're going to try some fishing. Can anyone help with bream, perch and bass? I'm thinking about a can of worms for bream and perch or would crickets be better?

The mtn man

There's not much in that pond this time of year. It's more of a stocked trout pond, it's shallow, and with all this hot weather I doubt trout are doing well in there, you might catch some bream that are on the smaller side, there are not as many species other that trout in there after it was almost drained a while back. There are a few bass in there, but those huge bass that were in there years ago are gone. As for perch , there's not many in there. There use to be some in there, but their pretty much gone now, the grass has gotten so bad in there, it's hard to bottom fish without getting a massive amount of grass tangles on your bait.

Coenen

There's not much in that pond this time of year. It's more of a stocked trout pond, it's shallow, and with all this hot weather I doubt trout are doing well in there, you might catch some bream that are on the smaller side, there are not as many species other that trout in there after it was almost drained a while back. There are a few bass in there, but those huge bass that were in there years ago are gone. As for perch , there's not many in there. There use to be some in there, but their pretty much gone now, the grass has gotten so bad in there, it's hard to bottom fish without getting a massive amount of grass tangles on your bait.
Hate to hear that! :cry:

ThomasCobb123

The brim have become very stunted.
Historical records will show that when ponds of a small size like Scott have a significant lowering of the water level (and the 'powers that be', for some reason, seem to always do it during the spawn) it can take 5-10 years for the pond to kick back into being a good fishing hole.
Some of the creeks around it, that look absurdly small, can surprise you though. Forget fly rods...use underspin lever reels or if you like spinning reels use them, or even a zebco 33. 4 pound line, a black gnat fly rigged 'drop shot' style, and one BB shot at the end of the line. "shoot" the lure upstream, some waters will be just a trickle...but you'll get bit. (they used to not allow live bait around there, but if that's changed, a piece of live worm will get things done.) The fish will be small though.
Would be interested in your results.
Been a long time since I was up there.

Thomas, The worst road rash I've ever had was on a Cushman Eagle in the mid 50s while wearing white pants. I'll report on our trip early next week.

ThomasCobb123

Thomas, The worst road rash I've ever had was on a Cushman Eagle in the mid 50s while wearing white pants. I'll report on our trip early next week.
Yep, mine "bit me" a few times from "leaning low" in those curves. Asphalt rash is brutal.(y)
Good luck at the pond.

j_seph

If you just want them to catch fish, around the 2 docks off 180 they should be able to catch small bream till they are bored. Was up there 2 weekends ago and bream were everywhere at the dock.

The mtn man

Thanks, that's where we'll try. By any chance do you know how deep the lake is?
I do as a matter of fact, according to my electronics on my kayak, it gets about 16ft at the deepest part, most of it is less than 10 ft.