Last weekend of gun season !

Doc_Holliday23

Got thundered out of the stand at 430 yesterday. Cold and windy this morning, nothing moving. I’m a tower for the last sit of the year right now. Hoping my buddy on the other side of the farm sneaks one in under the deadline.

bany

Yeah, good luck with that one. Good buck and I hope he shows for ya.

wm742

Me and the youngest will be in the big box by 6:30am tomorrow morning.
Since its last day and I've had one of my best seasons, I oiled up an old Marlin 49DL that I acquired a couple years ago. If that cream bodied black faced fox squirrel we normally see comes out, I'm at least getting something mounted for my little girl.

I'm gonna carry my other Marlin in .35 so if a heard of does come in(got pics with 7 does in one pic at this stand recently), we getting daddy daughter deers.

Between 2 rifles, pack(she doesn't know but I made bacon biscuits tonight for mid morning snack time), and the buddy heater, I'm gonna look like the redneck hobo version of Sanford and son walking in tomorrow.

Blackston

Since its last day and I've had one of my best seasons, I oiled up an old Marlin 49DL that I acquired a couple years ago. If that cream bodied black faced fox squirrel we normally see comes out, I'm at least getting something mounted for my little girl.

I'm gonna carry my other Marlin in .35 so if a heard of does come in(got pics with 7 does in one pic at this stand recently), we getting daddy daughter deers.

Between 2 rifles, pack(she doesn't know but I made bacon biscuits tonight for mid morning snack time), and the buddy heater, I'm gonna look like the redneck hobo version of Sanford and son walking in tomorrow.
Oh yea I can see ya pack muling to stand

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member

Sounds like a good time planned , good luck to y’all !

wm742

Well it worked out pretty good. Saw 14 deer all in shooting range. Ran 3 off getting to the stand. Then 2 moved by but only stopped behind trees.
Had 1 buck come through right after that. He didn't stay around long enough for me to tell what it was.
Had 8 come through 30 yards from us but she was having a hard time finding them in her scope. Couple just out of range in the woods. In the open they would have been down.
Then there was number 15. She had had such a hard time getting her scope on a deer and then this one walked out into the field. Trotted over to 40 yards and stayed broadside. Gave her all the time in the world to make the shot.
And boy did she. That's the exit wound from her 6.5 creedmoor loaded with Winchester Deer Season XPs. Perfect shot. Her old man usually isn't that good.
We started hunting here in 2018. She has missed a deer and could not get her riffle on a buck she saw twice but was on the wrong side of the stand. She was asleep next to me when I shot my biggest. And she was walking in with me when I shot my second largest. I would have let her shoot either one, but asleep in a ladder stand and 20 yards behind me on the second. This property has been tough on her.
She has killed a couple bucks with her mom, so this was not her first, but her first with her father.

Attachments

• IMG_20240114_091631709 (1).jpg
    IMG_20240114_091631709 (1).jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 47

au7126

Ant and all,

Glad y'all are still at it till the end.

The last weekend of deer season always makes me sad or maybe melancholy.

This year I told myself I'd get my freezer repacked early. Also that I'd hunt and camp at the cabin every given opportunity and then some AND then scheduled hip replacement surgery for last Monday. I missed 6 days of hunting.

Next deer season is going to be 1,000X better!
Had my hip replaced last Feb 9 and still not completely right. Good luck with yours

slow motion

Well it worked out pretty good. Saw 14 deer all in shooting range. Ran 3 off getting to the stand. Then 2 moved by but only stopped behind trees.
Had 1 buck come through right after that. He didn't stay around long enough for me to tell what it was.
Had 8 come through 30 yards from us but she was having a hard time finding them in her scope. Couple just out of range in the woods. In the open they would have been down.
Then there was number 15. She had had such a hard time getting her scope on a deer and then this one walked out into the field. Trotted over to 40 yards and stayed broadside. Gave her all the time in the world to make the shot.
And boy did she. That's the exit wound from her 6.5 creedmoor loaded with Winchester Deer Season XPs. Perfect shot. Her old man usually isn't that good.
We started hunting here in 2018. She has missed a deer and could not get her riffle on a buck she saw twice but was on the wrong side of the stand. She was asleep next to me when I shot my biggest. And she was walking in with me when I shot my second largest. I would have let her shoot either one, but asleep in a ladder stand and 20 yards behind me on the second. This property has been tough on her.
She has killed a couple bucks with her mom, so this was not her first, but her first with her father.
Congratulations to the young lady

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Heck yeah , congrats to her ! And dad