Late frost - got my “watch for it” going on….

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Those look AWESOME!
There’s a water oak in the background helping the sawtooth look full. It’s odd to me that I have some water oaks pretty much fully leafed out, and some water oaks just starting to bud.

Jim Boyd

Looked like my water oaks already have full Caitlin’s on them.

One of my mature pecans is JUST starting to bud out.

Jim Boyd

My persimmons have not budged.

Triple C

I was at the farm last weekend. All my pear trees were in full bloom. Been 3 years since they survived late frosts to produce fruit.

Stepped out on the back porch here at the house a few minutes ago and snapped this pic of 2 of my native persimmons here. Probably another 10 days or so before they show blooms. Pretty much guaranteed to have plenty of fruit this fall.

IMG_0625.jpeg

Admire you boys that plant fruit trees. I did it for the first 3 years I owned my farm. Watered em. Nursed em. Pruned em. Won’t plant another. Give me native persimmons for the win.

Jim Boyd

I was at the farm last weekend. All my pear trees were in full bloom. Been 3 years since they survived late frosts to produce fruit.

Stepped out on the back porch here at the house a few minutes ago and snapped this pic of 2 of my native persimmons here. Probably another 10 days or so before they show blooms. Pretty much guaranteed to have plenty of fruit this fall.

View attachment 1296651

Admire you boys that plant fruit trees. I did it for the first 3 years I owned my farm. Watered em. Nursed em. Pruned em. Won’t plant another. Give me native persimmons for the win.

I hope to convert some native persimmon males to Meader and Fuyu females in the next several weeks!!!

Love the pic Triple C!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

View attachment 1296651

Fine looking place!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
27* here this morning. Frost you could track a rabbit in.

Jim Boyd

27* here this morning. Frost you could track a rabbit in.

I think we are past it.

Thinking the pecans and persimmons are next.

One of my pecan trees had very light buds while the others were all dormant last week.

Bet they look different this week

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
This is the time where the weather tempts you. You want to plant your garden, worry about tree blooms, want to move the tender new stuff out of the greenhouse, but you know that there is apt to be one more killing frost. I`m setting here watching doves making a nest as I type this. Fighting the temptation.

Jim Boyd

This is the time where the weather tempts you. You want to plant your garden, worry about tree blooms, want to move the tender new stuff out of the greenhouse, but you know that there is apt to be one more killing frost. I`m setting here watching doves making a nest as I type this. Fighting the temptation.

Fighting the good fight!

My die is cast as all of mine are trees.

Not gonna plant my corn or sunflowers til late April. Will wait til the commercial ag goes in and at least then, SOME of the mouths will be busy elsewhere.

Jim Boyd

Not sure it matters, but FWIW, the white clover is blooming slightly.

fatback

South Lowndes Co. Pear trees are budding out. Pecan trees started to leaf out earlier this week. No chance of frost in the 15 day forecast. Maybe we won’t get a late frost this far south. IMG_7122.jpegIMG_7121.jpeg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Had a light frost this morning in Northern Troup co . My dad lives 25 miles south of me and said he had none . I live close to the lake and I feel that makes it a little cooler . Sure was cool on the water at daylight