Lathem Lately?

RamblinWreck

I'd say you did very well for your first visit. Let me know when you come back; I'm off pretty much all week, and live close to the lake. I would like to get some sonar pointers from you, if you don't mind. I have a Lowrance Hook2 splitshot with GPS charts on the yak, and I'm learning to use it.

Coenen

I'd say you did very well for your first visit. Let me know when you come back; I'm off pretty much all week, and live close to the lake. I would like to get some sonar pointers from you, if you don't mind. I have a Lowrance Hook2 splitshot with GPS charts on the yak, and I'm learning to use it.
Home water for me is Lanier. Being confident out in deep water is a must. I could see how a lake like Lathem would throw a lot of guys off their game. The depth and severity of the drop offs from shore was stunning.

I'm a 'Bird guy, but can probably help you muddle through with your sonar. The real trick is getting a handle what you're seeing, and learning to trust that image. Combine that with GPS, and you should be able to zero in on your best areas and maximize your time on the water.

I'm a 9-5 guy, so I'll be trying to sneak up on the weekends. Hopefully we can hook up!

RamblinWreck

I'm not thrown off my game, I have no game when it comes to the sonar because this is my first one. I'm more interested in how to target fish with the dropshot; the fish I've been seeing are suspended 10-15 ft and the bottom might be at 40'. I've had much better luck spybaiting, just count it down to that depth, and slowly reel it by them. Caught my biggest Lathem spot that way Friday.

Coenen

I'm not thrown off my game, I have no game when it comes to the sonar because this is my first one. I'm more interested in how to target fish with the dropshot; the fish I've been seeing are suspended 10-15 ft and the bottom might be at 40'. I've had much better luck spybaiting, just count it down to that depth, and slowly reel it by them. Caught my biggest Lathem spot that way Friday.
I meant getting thrown off as a general statement. Lots of fishermen love to target stuff they can see, even if it's not producing.

I'm not an expert by any means, but that's pretty high up for the DS, IMO. I've caught fish that high up for sure, but I think it really comes into its own down below 15ft. Most of my fish yesterday were taken between 18 and 25ft. Honestly, I think you've got the right idea with the spybait. Ever think about tossing a swimbait? Seems like that'd be a good look as well. Those are two techniques that I'm looking to add to my repertoire now that I'm feeling pretty good about the drop shot.

RamblinWreck

From last Friday: 2 on the spinbait, 1 on a worm:
latbass1.jpg
latbass2.jpg
latspot1.jpg

Coenen

Was out pretty much all day yesterday, tough sledding, don't think I was really hitting the right button tactically. Surface temps were steady in the mid-80's pretty much everywhere, actually up a bit from last week. Bagged a healthy 17" Largemouth right near the put in on a shakey head, then went cold until mid-afternoon when I got a schooler about the same size on a Whopper Plopper 90. Had a couple other fish take a whack at topwater, but nothing committed. Bagged one more small fish on the dropshot, and that was my day. All fish were LM.

Schooling action was very sporadic, and you've got to get on them quick. I think the Plopper helped, giving it a couple good rips after it hits the water might call them back up. Gonna try Castaway Baits (in)famous Emerald Popper next time I'm up there and see what that does for me. Talked to one other guy who said he did pretty well with a Rat-L Trap, had been thinking of tossing a lipless out there, guess I should've been doing instead of just thinking.

I've got half a mind to bring my bait rods up and planer boards up there, and put out a spread of minnows "striper" style, just to see what happens. It's only weird if it does't work, right? :p

jocko755

Some nice fish catches. I haven't tried Lathem in 4 years. I found it frustrating the 1 time I fished it. But it looks like I need to hit it again.

I hate the gate and 8am opening. I like to get out EARLY. Is there any other place to launch?

hopper

Was out pretty much all day yesterday, tough sledding, don't think I was really hitting the right button tactically. Surface temps were steady in the mid-80's pretty much everywhere, actually up a bit from last week. Bagged a healthy 17" Largemouth right near the put in on a shakey head, then went cold until mid-afternoon when I got a schooler about the same size on a Whopper Plopper 90. Had a couple other fish take a whack at topwater, but nothing committed. Bagged one more small fish on the dropshot, and that was my day. All fish were LM.

Schooling action was very sporadic, and you've got to get on them quick. I think the Plopper helped, giving it a couple good rips after it hits the water might call them back up. Gonna try Castaway Baits (in)famous Emerald Popper next time I'm up there and see what that does for me. Talked to one other guy who said he did pretty well with a Rat-L Trap, had been thinking of tossing a lipless out there, guess I should've been doing instead of just thinking.

I've got half a mind to bring my bait rods up and planer boards up there, and put out a spread of minnows "striper" style, just to see what happens. It's only weird if it does't work, right? :p
I would like to see that. Keep us posted if you go for it.

dank1296

Just free line some large shiners out the back on 2 rods and troll a small deep diving rapala closer to boat that will keep you busy.I hope to get out there Thursday morning for 1st time in 2 weeks

Coenen

Got in another trip today, even with the holiday it was pretty much deserted. Result was pretty much a 180 from my trip Saturday.

The wind was a bit of a test but I bagged 8-ish, mostly spots, all on the dropshot. the majority were small fish, but a couple of them were pretty respectable. In true "spotted bass" fashion they were on points, in the windiest, crappiest areas to try and fish. I was relying pretty heavily on sonar looking for bait. If there was bait, I'd circle or zigzag looking for fish. If they were around, they were catchable, if not downright aggressive. I made several drops that got hit on the way down, be aware that a slack line may not mean bottom!
I would like to see that. Keep us posted if you go for it.
We'll have to do a get together up there before the weather turns cold. I'll run that setup, you can see it in person. No shame in my game.

Last edited:

Coenen

Still playing the dropshot game this morning.

On the water at around 9, off around 2, really I was done fishing closer to noon when the first little thunderstorm rolled through. I made for the ramp, and when that cell fell apart turned around and went back out, but never really found them again. When the second(bigger) storm showed up, I set a personal best for getting the 'yak unloaded and back on top of the car!

Water was still low 80's, the weather had them chewing. Lots of topwater, action, and definitely more sustained than it has been in the past weeks. I think I bagged 4 bass(3 spots, 1 lm) and one bream about the size of a pie plate. All on the DS, same setup and lure color I've been using.

I put together a proper combo for the DS finally, a Fenwick HMG with a Daiwa BG 2000. I fished it last week, and caught a bunch, but finally had a fish really test it today. It was flawless.
20180909_104859.jpg

RamblinWreck

Nice.

I was going to go today but got sidetracked, and then it rained.

EDIT: Going back Tuesday. Fishing Lanier Wed for a change.

Last edited:

RamblinWreck

Hey, anyone fish for bream on Lathem? I bought me some crickets, and am going to try my luck next chance in weather. Also interested in catfish; I might go by the Asian store and get me some herring for cut bait. I know the guy who works at the lake office said they stocked a lot of channel cat.

Last edited:

hopper

Hey, anyone fish for bream on Lathem? I bought me some crickets, and am going to try my luck next chance in weather. Also interested in catfish; I might go by the Asian store and get me some herring for cut bait. I know the guy who works at the lake office said they stocked a lot of channel cat.
Yep they did, and put feeders out. Think they stocked last year. Should be a pretty good cat lake in couple yrs.
I caught one of the biggest shell crackers while bass fishing there in spring on a dead ringer. I know they are there.
Let us know how you do.

SeaGhost130

Get a box of red wigglers and target the coves. There are some plate sized shellcracker and blue gill there. I went a few weeks ago and caught a ton!

Coenen

Got out yesterday 9:15 to 3pm or so. Bagged 4, 3 on DS one schooler on a popper. Surface temp was back up. The cloud cover and wind really seemed to help the bite. Whenever the clouds rolled through the action would pick up, and once everything calmed down it'd die off again. First three fish were nothing to write home about.

Hooked up number 4 at about 2:30, just found a couple marks hanging over a ledge on sonar. Sent down the DS and hooked up something solid. Actually thought I had bottom for a split-second until it started swimming away. Turned out to be a big ol' largemouth. First real giant I've run into on the lake, and he put that DS setup to the test. Cherokee County might get a few more of my dollars before I get back to chasing striped fish on Lanier.

RamblinWreck

Only caught a few small bream on crickets, it was kinda windy. I'll try red wigglers next time. I did catch a nice bass on a drop shot, 21.5" on the hawg trough. Another personal best!

I bought an annual pass; money well spent IMO.

dank1296

Bought one to about 4 trips ago probably spent 35-40 before got smart. im gonna hit it wednesday morning for a few hours. I like they run for a year from when bought unlike Mary Alice Park which runs theres Jan--Jan

Coenen

Bought one to about 4 trips ago probably spent 35-40 before got smart. im gonna hit it wednesday morning for a few hours. I like they run for a year from when bought unlike Mary Alice Park which runs theres Jan--Jan
If you're putting in at Mary Alice on Lanier, drive the ten minutes across to Little Ridge. Buford Dam Bait and Tackle is right there, and the ramp is free.

Been kicking around getting a pass. I'm already about $30 in, but I know I'll be hitting Lanier hard here soon. I like the Hooch tailwater a lot as well. So many good fisheries around this area, it's tough to pick. We're lucky to be spoiled for choice, I suppose.