Learning patience as a dad.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Took my boys rifle hunting Sunday evening and Monday morning. We hunted Sunday evening then camped that night and went again Monday morning.
My oldest sat with a fellow GON member as he’s already shot his first deer, my youngest was with me as we were trying to get his first. Sunday was warm, sitting on an oak hill surrounded by bottom land. First off he forgot our 4 wheeler key at camp, (my fault should have made sure he had it). Camp is a considerable distance (20 minutes) from the spot we start our travel to the stands, which is accessible by truck. No biggy, we get to the stand and he’s moving all around, thinks every squirrel is a deer, pulling leaves off the tree above us, rubbing his boots on the stand platform. I keep reminding myself, he’s just a boy. Evening ends with no deer sighted.
Camp is good, we eat beef, pork, chicken and veggie stir fry cooked on a Coleman stove then sit around the fire a bit. The boys enjoy some chocolate chip cookies.
Monday’s hunt starts, he forgets his recoil pad. Still figgety, then nods off for 30 minutes. Oldest boy is seeing deer all over the place, but none legal or either close enough to shoot. Our spot is dead. He finally comes too about 8:50, and dang if a deer doesn’t blow just out of sight. Finally see a doe, about 75 yards out. She’s not comfortable, pretty sure she’s catching our scent. Then another doe is with her and they ease out of sight. Well dang they’re gone, but wait they come back. Baby boy is all excited, we watch them for a few minutes and one of them presents a perfect broad side shot at about 60 yards, which is 10 yards further than I intended to let him shoot. I’m talking to him, calming him down, repeating deep breaths right behind the shoulder. Take your time, you’ve got all day. Rest is good, he seems decently relaxed. Take your time, squeeze the trigger when your ready. Boomwhop he fires, but flinches and the doe runs off. I’m fairly sure it’s a clean miss, 30 minutes of looking confirms my suspicion.
I’m kicking myself, I should have made him wait for a closer shot, shouldn’t have been aggravated about the key. Shouldn’t have worried about the recoil pad.
Lessons learned, two hunts and a camping trip equals time well spent with my boys. Things are forgotten, even by me. Waiting for a possible better opportunity is often times the best thing to do. Letting your kids be kids is important. Focus on the good times fellas, there aren’t ever enough of them. Til the next hunt.
And congrats to all the kids getting their first deer this year, love seeing the pics.

Matt.M

Great job spending time with him in the outdoors! Misses will make him slow down and concentrate on the next shot opportunity.

Last edited:

Blackston

I ended Saturday morning in a stand with my little girl in tears I really blew it uncomfortable stand , and an already figgetty youngn not a good combo then Saturday evening all we had was a 125 yd shot I didn't let her take Didn't think the day could handle more tears over a miss, have kicked myself all week. We gonna keep trying on the weekends I have. It's hard bein a dad separated from your youngns

Whenever I carried my kids fishing, I never took a pole. I knew that I would be plenty busy tending to them. lol

I had my two boys in a 4'x4' tower stand. They squirmed around, pulled the bark off the tree, etc. Neither of them were big enough to shoot a rifle. They were hungry and bored. They finally went to sleep on the floor of the stand and woke up to the sound of that 300 win mag going off. They were super excited that I killed a deer while they were with me.

Kids, It's all in what you make of it.

FOLES55

That miss will mean more to him in the long run. He will become a better hunter in the future because of it. Stay the course and enjoy the hunts as they unfold, because the harvest will happen in perfect timing.

bubbafowler

With my little one I learned quickly. No stands. Use a Caldwell field pod in a ground blind or box stand. Increased her range and don't have to worry as much about finch as with just a shooting rail

SakoL61R

Getting your kids out there is the first step. Good on ya for that! Know a few that leave theirs at home in quest of some "prize" that doesn't matter.

I started to carry my two with me when they were 4. Ground blinds, (safe!) ladder stands or just walking. Anything to get them interested and out in the woods.

Kids being kids....They run the course of being noisy, fidgeting non-stop, wanting to "get down" after 15 minutes (just before prime-time...), etc. Carry something they can be occupied with. And something they can nap on. And snacks/drinks. Gotta make it fun. Been there, done it all. I just roll with it because when they're out there with me, it's a gift from the Lord no matter what happens. They want to get down, no problem. Still hunt, show them tracks, rubs, scrapes, etc. Believe me, they will have fun.

I thank the Lord that mine was able to take his first with a clean, one shot kill this past Sunday morning. Lots of practice on the range, hunting with me in years past and God's good graces made it happen. He definitely had the fever, and so did I.

Core Lokt

I'll add my .02

Hunting with our kids..... It can be tough in the beginning for sure. First thing I did was get them shooting the gun they would be hunting with as soon as they wanted to and before they started hunting. They use a .243. I'd take them hunting before it was their turn to be the shooter. and had to make myself make it about them. 20 min, 30 min,1 hour hunts. When they were ready to go we left. Another thing I did was played the game "what was that". Every animal sound we heard I'd teach them what it was. That was fun. They are pretty good at identifying sounds in the woods now.

My oldest was 11 when she killed her first deer and my youngest was 9, two girls. It took lots of me holding my tongue, saying be quiet and and patients. Not doing it like I would. Lots of deer spooked but making it fun so they wanted to keep going. they are now 19 and 21 and love hunting. They have both killed at least 1 dear each every year every year except last year and that was by choice. It was a slow start but well worth it in the end.

Good luck and have fun with it man!

Jack Ryan

I think you are about always better off with newbies (including kids) in a blind, where they can be forgiven a few errors like moving a little or getting frigidity. TAke it in to consideration when you are setting up a hunt, it not for YOU. It's for a beginner and plan it that way setting THEM up for success.

Getting your kids out there is the first step. Good on ya for that! Know a few that leave theirs at home in quest of some "prize" that doesn't matter.

I started to carry my two with me when they were 4. Ground blinds, (safe!) ladder stands or just walking. Anything to get them interested and out in the woods.

Kids being kids....They run the course of being noisy, fidgeting non-stop, wanting to "get down" after 15 minutes (just before prime-time...), etc. Carry something they can be occupied with. And something they can nap on. And snacks/drinks. Gotta make it fun. Been there, done it all. I just roll with it because when they're out there with me, it's a gift from the Lord no matter what happens. They want to get down, no problem. Still hunt, show them tracks, rubs, scrapes, etc. Believe me, they will have fun.

I thank the Lord that mine was able to take his first with a clean, one shot kill this past Sunday morning. Lots of practice on the range, hunting with me in years past and God's good graces made it happen. He definitely had the fever, and so did I.

I'm with you on the Range time.
I was always a stickler when it came to firearm safety.

Become a good marksman
Then become a good hunter
If you are a good enough marksman, you can skip tracking class. lol

theoldguy

All of my children are grown now and are working on raising their families, except for our youngest son whom I introduced to hunting when he was very young. He just loved to go with me and look for deer. Had plenty of opportunities to harvest one, just never did. I guess he enjoyed just being out there breathing the clean cool air and being with me. He is currently deployed in the middle east and has been for going on 8 months. I'm hoping he gets back before the season is over with so that we can go one more time. Scares me to think that I may never get another chance every time he leaves.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
It's so awesome that you're taking your boys at a young age. I did the same with my daughter & son. Wouldn't trade those times for anything in the world! Yes, it takes patience. Lol. Keep it up though, it'll pay off.
My daughter likes to sit with me but has never shown an interest in taking a deer. My son killed his 1st doe at 8 years old. Killed his 1st buck at 12.

When he was little he was fidgety & noisy. He learned how important it was to be quiet & still. Normally he would fall asleep. I have lots of pics of him sleeping. He's turning into a really good hunter. He's now 14 & about ready to start sitting his own stand. I'm gonna miss sitting together.
Cherish those times Brother. They grow up too quickly!

grady white

yep ...patience is key and good on you for remembering that they are kids ...my two boys sit with me on almost every hunt ...I don't want to hunt without them .They will pick bark of the tree, **** , snap twigs, and on the way in they are as loud as all get out ...dragging their feet and stepping on every stick in sight , I leave with a smile every time though, I have noticed them getting more serious the more they hunt and the smile on their face when they killed their first deer was out of this world! They will remember that when they are old men and I'm already gone on to glory to be with the Lord Jesus Christ!

glynr329

I started taking my boy when he was 3 because my 2nd son was born. It was not easy because sometimes I would think about me. I was so wrong at the time. He is no longer with us and I would give anything to have him. Beat the water with his fishing pole or say daddy I am cold and want to go one more time.

Don't get me wrong he became one of the best fisher men ever and killed more deer than I wanted to clean. We hunted many years and enjoyed every min. Today I pretty much hunt alone and not a day goes by I don't miss him.

jakebuddy

It’s just a deer.
I don’t remember all the deer my dad and I killed but I also can’t remember a weekend we were not hunting or fishing together and I think that’s more important.

Acarter2018

I ended Saturday morning in a stand with my little girl in tears I really blew it uncomfortable stand , and an already figgetty youngn not a good combo then Saturday evening all we had was a 125 yd shot I didn't let her take Didn't think the day could handle more tears over a miss, have kicked myself all week. We gonna keep trying on the weekends I have. It's hard bein a dad separated from your youngns
I know what your going thru brother. I get my oldest 2 every other weekend and it sucks. My son is 11 and is doing everything he can to get his mom to let him move in with me and my wife. Rips my heart out having to take them back when they want to stay with me