Least Hyped Deer Calibers

Swamprat

Swamprat
We always have the "best caliber" for deer but what do you consider the least hyped that does the job.

Here is my top 3...

25-06
257 Roberts
7mm - 08

Personally I can also add .243....I have a late 1960's or early 70's Savage in that caliber. Weighs a ton but is a tack driver and has hung it's share of meat. Fun to shoot with no kick.

What say you all.....

bradleyjanes06

7.62x39 has caught alot flack over the years. I've killed several deer including 2 this year. Neither ran more then 50yrds

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I think the 7mm-08 has a pretty big following these days. I know I wouldn't trade mine for anything. I think it is the perfect caliber for whitetails.

deast1988

I shoot the .25/06, 7mm/08, .308,

I've killed 5 with a .257 Roberts. I think it is on the obscure side.

I'd say stuff like the .356winchester, 7x57, the SAUMs the WSSMs some of the oddball ones you never hear about. But will crush Whitetails.

.264winchester, 6.5Remington Mag, guns before there time that innovative but technology wasn't there to make them shine like they can do today.

I enjoy using my "mediums". Killed nice bucks with two different .356S and two different .375 Wins. One of my absolute favorite rifles is my BLR in .358.

GADawg08

love my .260...followed by my .270. and lastly the 30-30 still has its place in some areas I hunt. There's a video on youtube where a guy compares the 260 and 7mm-08 to a 308 as far as long range accuracy and energy. The .260 came out on top with the 7mm-08 a close 2nd

catch22

no one ever talks about the .280 but its a tremendous caliber that never caught on

that one and the 6.5 rem mag

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I have a 6 mm rem that has killed more deer than I’d care to mention , my dad is 65 and he bought it when he was 20 , and it is still doing its job now , he gave it to my 14 yr old daughter last season after her 2 nd buck with it , and it’s a great caliber for kids !

dhsnke

I think the 7mm-08 has a pretty big following these days. I know I wouldn't trade mine for anything. I think it is the perfect caliber for whitetails.

I can't agree more. It is the only caliber I have hunted with since 1993. Last 5 deer I killed went a total of 15 yards.

furtaker

The 280 and 6.5x55 are 2 good ones. I've killed deer with a bunch of different calibers including odd ball ones and I can't tell one nickel's worth of difference in effectiveness in any of them.

XJfire75

My next gun will be a 7mm-08. My dad has a Ruger compact rifle in that caliber and it’s lights out. I’ve shot a few deer with it including the one in my avatar. It’s flat shooting, accurate and will put down any deer in the country. Haven’t had to trail any of the deer my dad or myself have shot with it.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
I have and use in (order of use) 308, 25-06, 7mm08. The 7-08 I love but I've almost lost a lot of Bucks that I made great shots on due to the fact that the round doesn't exit and there is absolutely no blood trail. Had this happen Friday the 24th actually. Shot perfectly, hit the heart and the round made a left turn and exited out by the manjunk. Not a single drop of blood at the shot or where he was laying. Using Core-lokt can't remember the grain at the moment.