Least Hyped Deer Calibers

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I bought a .308 many years ago and can't seem to find a reason to buy any other caliber.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Opened my eyes to new calibers for sure.

I own a .280 as well as a .243 but my go to gun is my .308. Bought it in the early 80's and has always been a tack driver and has killed a pile of deer. Have killed deer with the .243 and .280 but for some reason have the most confidence in my .308.

glynr329

Been taking the 6.5 Creedmoore most of the year but back to the reliable 7 mag. deer always dead. Period!
Probably the best gun that doesn't get the hype that should is 35 really can't beat it in the woods.
Guns that I have had the worst luck with 243 and 270.
Guns that I got rid of and wish I had it back 25-06 also 30-06.
One gun I bought that I was scared I wouldn't get my money back and never used was 3030 gave 30 dollars for it.

Is it great we have a ton of calibers that we can love and some we can hate. Confidence, practice and bullet choice is the key.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have and use in (order of use) 308, 25-06, 7mm08. The 7-08 I love but I've almost lost a lot of Bucks that I made great shots on due to the fact that the round doesn't exit and there is absolutely no blood trail. Had this happen Friday the 24th actually. Shot perfectly, hit the heart and the round made a left turn and exited out by the manjunk. Not a single drop of blood at the shot or where he was laying. Using Core-lokt can't remember the grain at the moment.

Interesting comment, BIL hunts with 7mm08 out west. He has consistently killed big Mulies and speed goats with his.

Mauser

Really like my 7x57 Mauser and my Marlin in 35 rem. But also have BAR 's in 308,270,and 7mm rem mag. Heck I just like all guns lol

M77 Ruger

I own a 270 wsm, 270win, 30-06, 7mm, 25-06. If I had to sell all of them and only keep one I would keep the 25-06 followed by the 270 wsm. I have them all in Ruger m77 mark II all weather accept the 270 wsm in a tikka t3x. The 25-06 is a tack driver and hardly any kick. I shoot it the best of all my rifles and I have never had a deer go more than 10 yards and I have made several right at 400 yard shoots on 200+ lb bucks in Agriculture fields. I have been hunting with the tikka 270 wsm this year as my wife bought it for me last year for our Anniversary but I want lie I have missed the 25-06 being in the stand with me this year. I haven’t killed a deer yet this year with the 270 wsm and normally I tagged out by now so maybe it’s my lucky gun to.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Been shooting the ought six for 40 years. I tried many others, the ought six remains. My lifelong BF gave me a .257 Weatherby Mag, it is a absolute bang flopper.

Buckstop

6.5 x47, 6.5 x55, 257 Rob, 257 WBY, 264 Win Mag, 7 x 57, 280 Rem, .284 Win.

I’d include the 25-06 Rem too but that one is getting a lot of use on our club these days.

1gr8bldr

25 calibers don't get the credit they deserve