lets see or talk about patterns!

awesome

"Everybody back then patterned their gun using a Prince Albert, Bugler, or Carter Hall tobacco tin."

I'm not sure what my daddy shot turkeys with before 1959, but in that year my mother bought my dad a Browning a-5 3" mag with a 32" full choke vented rib.

I followed him around in the woods with that gun on his shoulder for a long, long, time. Until he followed me around in the woods. Every time I hear a gobbler in the woods I still think of him. I am so thankful that my dad taught me my afflictions in the spring and I have passed it on to my son as well. I just want to live long enough to witness my grandson call in a gobbler on his own.

s&r

baddave

hey S&R--i think that might be a good idea .. i shoot carlson .660 w/ the lbs .. i'm beginning to think it's too tight
s&r[/QUOTE]:confused:

FALCON z

I shoot the .660 with Lbs. Yes it is tight, my pattern above. But the factory 835 choke isn't tight enough IMO. I smoked one with it this year already but some where in between might be a sweet spot.

Gaswamp

30 yards, Hevi Shot 6.

It patterns equally well with any brand shell I`ve ever shot through it.

I thought you had to pattern at 40 yds and count how many were in a 20 and 10 inch circle to be successful

Swamprat

Swamprat
who are shooting Longbeard XR's with a factory full choke. No after market choke tube bought or installed.

Now, I shoot a Rhino and would not trade. That being said, If I bought a new shotgun tomorrow. Before I bought an after market choke tube I would shoot my gun with the full choke tube that it came with and team it up with Longbeard XR's. I like #6

s&r

I have a cheap ol Charles Daly, 3", full choke. Shoot #6's LB out of it and it hammers a turkeys head. Killed a few from 10 to 35 yards and jellied them.

Was gonna toy around with it this year but got a 870 and built that to a dedicated turkey gun.

Trying to say what he was saying, Don't discount the chokes they are putting in factory guns nowadays.

Bubba_1122

I thought you had to pattern at 40 yds and count how many were in a 20 and 10 inch circle to be successful

Guess I've bucked that trend as well.

Had some neck surgery a few months ago, so limited to what I can shoot (actually thankful I can shoot anything - had to modify a Bog Pod to hold the gun so I don't get the full recoil).

That said, I'm shooting an old Mossberg 410 pump with a full choke barrel (not tube - barrel). Shooting home grown TSS #9's.

I patterned it at 25 yards after I missed a bird a few days back. Had a nice pattern (3 shots averaged 226 pellets in a 10" circle - only problem is they were about 10" higher than I was aiming.

A friend suggested I go buy a new 410. His suggestions were between $800 and $1800. Don't think want to do that given I already have a 410.

Kilt a mighty nice bird this morning. Aimed at his knees and hit him in the head. DRT.

To each their own, but I think we tend to overthink things. The older I get the simpler I want it. Spent a couple of days last week fishing the flats. Used to would make multiple trips to the truck to get all my stuff to the boat before I'd head out. Then had so much stuff I couldn't find what I wanted while I was out there. It really became a chore.

Carried my fishing gear (other than rods n such) this time in pretty much a 12x14x6"dish tub. Was so simple and so much fun.

What's all that fishing chatter got to do with turkey killing? Nothing - except I sure like it simple and overthinking my pattern ain't on my list of things to fret about.

Gaswamp

Guess I've bucked that trend as well.

Had some neck surgery a few months ago, so limited to what I can shoot (actually thankful I can shoot anything - had to modify a Bog Pod to hold the gun so I don't get the full recoil).

That said, I'm shooting an old Mossberg 410 pump with a full choke barrel (not tube - barrel). Shooting home grown TSS #9's.

I patterned it at 25 yards after I missed a bird a few days back. Had a nice pattern (3 shots averaged 226 pellets in a 10" circle - only problem is they were about 10" higher than I was aiming.

A friend suggested I go buy a new 410. His suggestions were between $800 and $1800. Don't think want to do that given I already have a 410.

Kilt a mighty nice bird this morning. Aimed at his knees and hit him in the head. DRT.

To each their own, but I think we tend to overthink things. The older I get the simpler I want it. Spent a couple of days last week fishing the flats. Used to would make multiple trips to the truck to get all my stuff to the boat before I'd head out. Then had so much stuff I couldn't find what I wanted while I was out there. It really became a chore.

Carried my fishing gear (other than rods n such) this time in pretty much a 12x14x6"dish tub. Was so simple and so much fun.

What's all that fishing chatter got to do with turkey killing? Nothing - except I sure like it simple and overthinking my pattern ain't on my list of things to fret about.

using a bead?

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Bubba, to avoid overthinking target windage and elevation, keep the gun but mount a red dot on it. Cheaper than a new gun and eliminates Kentucky windage. Where the dot lies, the shot flies. Point and shoot. It is amazing that the old .410 with TSS can out shoot the old 12 gauge loads and without the kick. Gil

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
My lightweight Yildiz .410 at 40 yards. Without red dot or mount, 3 lbs. 3 oz. Top two patterns compared different primers with 13/16 oz. of TSS 9.5. Better pattern is lower one in top photo with 159 in the 10" ring at 40 yards. Bottom photo is Hal's 370MM #10. 370 grains of TSS10's almost 1/16 oz. heavier than the 13/16 oz. load. 193 in the 10" ring at 40. I suspect that one can get away with not counting holes and eyeball pattern density, but since it pays to zero the gun's POA with POI (or is it vice versa?), it doesn't hurt to count holes.

Here's a couple of old patterns for the 20 ga. Baikal. Top photo is buffered 1 5/16 oz. of #9 TSS (367/oz.) Bottom photo is of unbuffered load same weight. Both at 40 yards, 10" and 20" rings. I like the bottom load for hunting.

Last edited:

killerv

I just shoot them, cut their heads off and hold their necks tight to a faucet or water hose to check my patterns.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My lightweight Yildiz .410 at 40 yards. Without red dot or mount, 3 lbs. 3 oz. Top two patterns compared different primers with 13/16 oz. of TSS 9.5. Better pattern is lower one in top photo with 159 in the 10" ring at 40 yards. Bottom photo is Hal's 370MM #10. 370 grains of TSS10's almost 1/16 oz. heavier than the 13/16 oz. load. 193 in the 10" ring at 40. I suspect that one can get away with not counting holes and eyeball pattern density, but since it pays to zero the gun's POA with POI (or is it vice versa?), it doesn't hurt to count holes.

Here's a couple of old patterns for the 20 ga. Baikal. Top photo is buffered 1 5/16 oz. of #9 TSS (367/oz.) Bottom photo is of unbuffered load same weight. Both at 40 yards, 10" and 20" rings. I like the bottom load for hunting.

Both of those are fine little guns, Gil. I`m wishing I had Curtis build me a 20 to go with my 12 back then.

Joe, I might get with you before the summer on that.