Long range question?

Flaustin1

Bull barrels take longer to heat up so you can fire longer shot strings before the poi changes because of heat. Downside is it takes alot longer to cool down. They also help with barrel vibrations and harmonics. Another bonus is the added weight which keeps the rifle more securely in the rest/bags and allows for faster target aquisition if a follow up shot is needed. As far as match barrels go they are generally heavy bull barrels that have more precise machine work and sometimes tighter chambers.

miles58

Banned yankee
What Flaustin said. The thing I like best about heavy barrels is their stability. They weigh more so they take more effort to move when you get to trigger time. Longer barrels put more of that weight out far from your hand which helps too. Usually you can assume heavier is stiffer and more accurate as a result.

Dave

cmshoot

A "match grade" barrel is basically a barrel made to tighter tolerances. They use the same steels and the same methods, just make 'em better.

Gentleman4561

Also, bull barrels will absorb more heat.

I just bought a Remington 700 SPS Tactical. I sold the stock and bottom metal in it and recently purchased an HS precision stock which I am going to have inletted to feed from magazines. I will eventually upgrade the trigger. Its a great gun to start with. Also check out the Remington 5R.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten

I just bought a Remington 700 SPS Tactical. I sold the stock and bottom metal in it and recently purchased an HS precision stock which I am going to have inletted to feed from magazines. I will eventually upgrade the trigger. Its a great gun to start with. Also check out the Remington 5R.

Yeah, if you can swing the 5r Milspec to begin with, that's the way to go, if you plan on doing a lot of long range shooting. The SPS Tactical is a good rifle, but you loose a good bit of velocity in that 20" barrel. You'll be wanting to put a 24" barrel on it anyway to get that 100-150 fps or so back....it makes a difference at 800+ yards. The 5r is a bit more expensive rifle than the SPS, but I think it's worth the difference. I built out an SPS. It was a good rifle, but I'm just finishing up my 5r Milspec now. I should have just done that in the first place.

cephus91

x2 re the 700 SPS tactical. I am in the process of building one now. Added a HS precision stock as well, waiting on WOTAC scope to arrive (long story). Then trigger.

jbroadnax

Take the 30/06, true the action, re-barrel to a 6.5-06 or 280AI with a fast enough twist to shoot heavy bullets for the caliber of choice. Choose Krieger, Obermeyer, Bartlein, Rock or use the PacNor rebarrel service. Stick in a Timney trigger or better yet splurge for a Jewell. Shove it in a Pillar bedded Mcmillan stock or if you have to stick with the budget, choose an HS precision or Bell and Carlson with the aluminum bedding block. This rifle equipped with any 30mm scope will get you to 700 yards or more with one twist of the turret. Another good bet would be to buy a used custom rifle someone is selling. 260rem, 6.5x47 Lapua are supper choices!

bighonkinjeep

I understand the desire to build or have built a custom long range rig. I have a couple myself on several different actions. The improvements for small accuracy gains can be very expensive. I'm not sure what your budget is but if you want the best bang for your buck there are factory target rifles such as the Savage Target series http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/ which come competition ready for far less than you can build a comparable rig. Used benchrest guns are also an option to obtain a very accurate custom rig withoutbearing all of the build costs. Most "worn out" bench guns are more accurate than anything most recreational shooters will ever fire.

r_hammett86

went shooting today with a buddy who has a rem788 .308. I had my 78 30-06 and we started at 100 to check our zreo. moved out to 200 had no problems. 300 not to many problems to mention, got to 400 or right at and thats when i noticed i missed alot. we were shooting at a 12x8 plate of steel. for one, my scope (tasco 6-24x50) is junk:mad:. no eye releaf at all. i got hit 4 or so times:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe. my trigger is stiff and im sure im going to have to take it to have it adjusted. and my gun has a feather weight wood stock and no recoil pad... its like beying behind a mule. 20 rounds and i was done. after 5 or so i felt i was flenching which isnt good for accuracy as everyone knows. so i now have a feel for what im looking for. My buddys .308 was heavy and had a nice scope with awsome eye releaf and clear lences. it was cool watching the trace in the mirrage down range while i spotted for him. Im certanily hooked now:banana:. I just need to get things as my bank account allows it. :cheers: