Lower back pain and sciatica

georgia_home

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Best advice right here. See a Neurosurgeon, not a orthosurgeon. I had almost identical surgery as you hillbilly except mine was L3, L4, L5, S1 all tied together with rods/screws in a cage configuration same as you. At the time, I was facing permanent nerve damage and possible wheelchair confinement eventually. The pain was so bad I didn't care what they did. That was almost 11 years ago and while I am not pain free, I am working and living a mostly normal life with the exception of lifting heavy objects. Good luck to the OP. Oh, and my doctor was none other than Dr. Peter Holliday in Macon. At the time he was ranked #2 in the state behind some other doctor in Columbus. Do your research in advance!
Great advise. Same happened to my son. He was in his 20's and didn't want to be in a wheel chair the rest of his life. He did walk with a cane for a while.

Shadow11

It's strange how certain things only effect certain ppl. I can cut wood all day, split wood all day, work in the garden all day, bend over and carry bags of concrete or rocks all day.... No problem.... But, if I just simply bend over my truck hood to do a simple repair, after 5 minutes I can barely move. I don't know what it is, but it seems to have to be at that exact height/angle with my arms out. It kills me. Nothing else does that.

hunter 85

I just had surgery yesterday. I can’t remember the medical names but they removed two herniations and one bulge out of the nerve canals and ground bone away from the nerve and canal at l3-l4, l4-l5, and l5-s1. I was having issues with my right leg and si hip area. The pain was so bad I lost the use of my right leg and wasn’t able to walk or drive in October. I had injections and 6 weeks of pt that got me back to walking. I forced myself to go back to work ( mobile heavy equipment mechanic) in January. I was able to get by and made it every day. I have had no pain med of any kind today script or otc and am in less pain than any evening I got home from work. This is the first time in probably 2 years that I have been able to sit in my recliner and just enjoy watching a movie and not spend the whole thing bouncing around trying to be comfortable. I will say every one I spoke to said to not get hardware installed unless absolutely necessary.

thumper523

I had a Neurologists repair my L3-L5 with a laser procedure back in 2010. I was in severe pain and walked crooked with a cane. The next morning I was walking upright with minimal pain. Only needed meds for about 3 weeks. If you see me work now, you would never know. He was a Neurosurgeon with the Atlanta medical group out of Emory.
One thing I learned is to keep those core muscles strong, your balance and stretching, this will help tremendously.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I just had surgery yesterday. I can’t remember the medical names but they removed two herniations and one bulge out of the nerve canals and ground bone away from the nerve and canal at l3-l4, l4-l5, and l5-s1. I was having issues with my right leg and si hip area. The pain was so bad I lost the use of my right leg and wasn’t able to walk or drive in October. I had injections and 6 weeks of pt that got me back to walking. I forced myself to go back to work ( mobile heavy equipment mechanic) in January. I was able to get by and made it every day. I have had no pain med of any kind today script or otc and am in less pain than any evening I got home from work. This is the first time in probably 2 years that I have been able to sit in my recliner and just enjoy watching a movie and not spend the whole thing bouncing around trying to be comfortable. I will say every one I spoke to said to not get hardware installed unless absolutely necessary.
Forgot to mention my son had hip regeneration surgery after his back surgery recovery. Not nearly as invasive as the back surgery. I think the PT after surgery helped the most.

bighonkinjeep

Neuro surgeon only is very solid advice.
Instant releif is indeed possible in some cases.
Another really good neuro surgeon is Dr. Max Steuer (pronounced stoy-yer)
Excellent long term results.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
That should give anyone hope. Glad you’re better