Madison County 2020

Esau

Those folks down in Oglethorpe have a great thread every year. I am going to try and post what I am seeing in Madison County a little more often. Please join me! I got to go this past weekend. I saw several deer, even got to watch two little bucks spar with each other. I saw some hawks, ducks a Great Blue Heron and a coyote. I hunt with a Traditional longbow, so my range is 20 yards and in, so I didn't have any shots. The weather was great and the animals are there. I think it may be a very good year.

Triple C

Keep posting updates Esau. The 1st thread I go to when checking in is the Oglethorpe thread to see who's posted. Love the OC thread and no reason the Madison County thread can't duplicate the activity like the OC thread.

Esau

I haven't heard about that yet. I will ask some buddies, they talk to more folks than I do.

Souhternhunter17

Hunted this past Sunday in Madison Co. Saw 3 does and was able to connect on one of them. I hunt in both Oglethorpe, Madison, and Oconee as well but I will post here as I hunt in Madison Co.

Esau

I talked with a buddy of mine. The deer in the picture was taken on a farm behind his. Great deer! He was saying it will score high 160's to possibly 170. Congratulations to the hunter, truly a deer of a lifetime!

Esau

North East part of the county up near the Franklin/Hart county lines.

Esau

I got to go Saturday and Sunday afternoon. I sat in some hardwoods Saturday afternoon. The white oaks are beginning to drop a few acorns. I thought it might be good. I did not see a deer. lots of birds and squirrels. Sunday I went back to a pinch point I like to hunt. I saw 7 or 8 deer, one small buck. I have to make a move to get within bow range of them. The winds there are tricky and I don't want to mess it up. I am going to wait for a day with a steady 5-6 mph East wind.

Kootie

Thanks Esau

I own property and hunt in Madison County.....I do not bow hunt but do firearm hunt so I'll try to post updates as well.

What I can report is:
Fawns are plentiful
Persimmons and muscadines are the best I've seen and deer are on them
Overall herd looks strong
Last week we started seeing lots of rubs
Anticipate a good season

Esau

I Got another chance to do a little hunting this weekend. I went Yesterday afternoon. I made a little walk about. I stalked up on 5 deer. The first one still had spots so I let it walk. The next 2 busted me at about 35 yards. The final pair were in a food plot about 15 minutes before sundown. I got to within 15 yards of a nice fat doe. I got my feet set and ready to draw. I needed her to take about 2 steps and then I would have a shot. Her head was down and things were looking good. She raised her head and took those 2 steps, but she was looking right at me. I froze and we played the game of who would move first. I just needed her to put her head down or look away and I could draw and shoot. Instead she kept looking at me. I stayed still and didn't make eye contact. she couldn't figure out what I was and the wind was in my favor. Her survival instincts paid off and she took off and went back the way she came. She only went about 30 yards and started back feeding. There was no way I could move on her now, and other deer were coming into the plot. I backed out and called it a good hunt. Hunting on the ground with a long bow is hard!

It seems the deer are still not on acorns yet they are still hitting persimmons and are hitting our food plots really hard. Lots of deer and tons of this years fawns. I'm excited for the remainder of the season.

Esau

This weekend was a little bit slow. I tried to dodge the rain and still get in some hunting. I hunt with a sidelock muzzle loader, so it is very important to keep my powder dry. I did see deer, I did see bucks. I did not see a deer I wanted to take. The weather is improving this week. I think I will take a couple of days off at the end of the week to get in a few good sits before the crowds hit the woods this weekend. Good luck to all and be safe.

the Lackster

Saw a decent buck and a few does this afternoon. All were hammering white oaks.

Esau

I hunted from Thursday through the weekend. I have seen lots of deer. The deer I have been seeing are hitting the hardwoods for acorns and food plots for browse. I have seen 2 bucks actually chasing does. I do not think the does are interested yet but the bucks are. I am seeing scrapes opening up and the rubs are getting more numerous. Things are looking good. I just wish i had more time off work to be in the woods. Good luck folks and enjoy this glorious time of year!

the Lackster

Saw the buck i would like to shoot Saturday morning, dang cows spooked him. They were under "the" tree. So far every deer i have seen on this place this season have went to the same tree to eat. Had the cows not been there i could have killed him. He trotted through the cows and then stopped on the other side. Crosshairs on, hammer backed, one limb in the way. Had to watch him walk off.

Esau

Stay after him.
Saw the buck i would like to shoot Saturday morning, dang cows spooked him. They were under "the" tree. So far every deer i have seen on this place this season have went to the same tree to eat. Had the cows not been there i could have killed him. He trotted through the cows and then stopped on the other side. Crosshairs on, hammer backed, one limb in the way. Had to watch him walk off.

Latest posts