Madison County 2020

Lshaw97

Seen several does and a small buck yesterday evening. The cameras are showing some mature bucks. I love being in the woods!

Esau

I got to hunt again this weekend. Saturday morning was very good. I sat on an edge between a pine thicket and a hardwood ridge. Acorns were falling. I saw 5 deer including one pretty nice 2.5 year old 8 point. He was grunting and annoying the does. They are not interested yet. On of my hunting buddies saw a mature buck chase a doe through a food plot. Things are looking good still.

Kootie

Opening day we saw plenty of does with fawns and just a few small bucks. My son saw 30 deer on Saturday (not normal for us). It seems every doe has fawns with them.
We hunted 23-24th with similar results.....seeing lots of does with fawns. They seem to be really preferring our food plots over corn or acorns. Scrapes and rubs are showing up and our trail cams are showing mature bucks, even in daytime so I think we are on track for our normal peak rut of around mid November.

the Lackster

I seem to have hit the October lull but my place in Jackson county looks like it might have started heating up yesterday. Saw what would have been the 2nd biggest deer for me on the rifle opener but he has been keeping his head down this past week.

Esau

Good deer. Congratulations!

Andy12

I will be taking off work tomorrow and all next week. Plan to hunt everyday in Madison county.
Will try and post reports on what I’m seeing concerning the rut.
I’ve got 2 different bucks on camera that will go 130 or better, just need them to make a mistake.

Lshaw97

I will be taking off work tomorrow and all next week. Plan to hunt everyday in Madison county.
Will try and post reports on what I’m seeing concerning the rut.
I’ve got 2 different bucks on camera that will go 130 or better, just need them to make a mistake.
Good luck! Keep us updated. I plan to take thanksgiving week off of work, myself.

Andy12

Good luck! Keep us updated. I plan to take thanksgiving week off of work, myself.
What part of the county are you in?
Thanksgiving is very late for the rut in my part of the county.
The 5th - the 15th always seem to be the best days.

Lshaw97

What part of the county are you in?
Thanksgiving is very late for the rut in my part of the county.
The 5th - the 15th always seem to be the best days.
I hunt around Ila and Hull areas, the week of thanksgiving usually let’s me catch a few mature bucks on there feet. Desperately seeking, as ive heard it called haha

the Lackster

I hunt around Ila and Hull areas, the week of thanksgiving usually let’s me catch a few mature bucks on there feet. Desperately seeking, as ive heard it called haha
Thanksgiving week for me is pretty good here might not see the numbers but thats normally my best odds at a good deer. I rattled two in Tuesday right at dark but couldn't get a good look at them. Had a 15 inch 8 walk within 10 yards of me when i stopped to work on my camera. Im in here again today. See what happens.

Andy12

Small bucks are doing a little chasing.
Saw a doe by herself yesterday evening but for the most part they are still grouped with fawns.
Deer movement was good yesterday. Didn’t see a deer this morning.

Range

Had my camera out. Nothing but a handful of does. Slow. This week 3 bucks showed up. More activity. Saw 1 buck from the stand this weekend. 1 buck last weekend. Should have shot one but he needs another year. It's out of my control though. Hope everyone is having a great season. Oh and at work I saw 2 bucks chasing in Clarke.

Lshaw97

Saturday morning had a young (2.5) 8 pointer come in and investigate my grunt call. Rainy and hot next week

Esau

Hey Folks,
Life got in the way of my deer hunting the last several days. I have been remodeling a bathroom for my wife and moving my daughter to a new apartment. I have snuck off a couple of times for a brief sit. We are seeing plenty of deer on our place. One of my friends son got a really nice one Saturday. They are hitting the acorns hard and using food plots a little bit. I put up a stand one afternoon after work and sat down in it right after putting it up. I saw a doe and a yearling almost immediately and then a 2 1/2 year old buck a little later. he came through and made a scrape about 30 yards from me. I sat on a big food plot for a couple of hours Saturday and saw a very nice 8 come through, he was on the move and not slowing down. I am still only hunting with primitive weapons so I need to get a bit closer in order to take one. I sometimes think I should just get out the rifle and get some meat, but I stick with the hard way. I have been hunting in Madison, Oglethorpe and Elbert counties for 41 years now. To me the 2nd week in November through Thanksgiving has been the best times. My 2 biggest bucks ever were both killed on November 26th. Good luck guys.

the Lackster

Hey Folks,
Life got in the way of my deer hunting the last several days. I have been remodeling a bathroom for my wife and moving my daughter to a new apartment. I have snuck off a couple of times for a brief sit. We are seeing plenty of deer on our place. One of my friends son got a really nice one Saturday. They are hitting the acorns hard and using food plots a little bit. I put up a stand one afternoon after work and sat down in it right after putting it up. I saw a doe and a yearling almost immediately and then a 2 1/2 year old buck a little later. he came through and made a scrape about 30 yards from me. I sat on a big food plot for a couple of hours Saturday and saw a very nice 8 come through, he was on the move and not slowing down. I am still only hunting with primitive weapons so I need to get a bit closer in order to take one. I sometimes think I should just get out the rifle and get some meat, but I stick with the hard way. I have been hunting in Madison, Oglethorpe and Elbert counties for 41 years now. To me the 2nd week in November through Thanksgiving has been the best times. My 2 biggest bucks ever were both killed on November 26th. Good luck guys.
Thanks for the report, good luck buddy!!