Major ammo and powder shortage

HughW2

Just saw this. Between Ukraine, Israel and Biden trying to kill off firearms industry there is a major global powder and primer shortage. If you need ammo, get it while you can afford it. Next year is not looking pretty. Just doing my part to help out or add to the shortage. Let the bidding begin.IMG_0354.png

Reactions: Dub

georgia_home

Bumping this. And it’s said it will get worse. more conflict making more .gov demand and less civilian supply. And report that not only price increase, maybe unable to commit to new delivery.

no comments at post time. Also nyt has article but paywalled

several other links of you google them up

earlthegoat2

The very reason that if I get into a new cartridge, I factor in an initial supply of ammo into the purchase price. 200 rounds for hunting rifle and 500 for any handgun plinker/target type rifle. I’m not a big reloader but I also buy components to load up if I need to in a pinch.

There are a few powders still around here locally too But maybe not for long.

transfixer

I've got a decent stockpile of factory ammo, as well as a stockpile of reloading components, mostly because I haven't been shooting much in the last 4 or 5 years, not like I used to, just joined a place with good pistol and rifle ranges so that is going to change, I'll likely have to start replacing components as I use them up , need to use up the stuff I've had the longest anyway

Adam5

Typical election year fear mongering that will likely cause some people to run out and buy all they can, causing a shortage. Alliant ceasing production? No big loss. They’ve barely produced anything for the last few years. Don’t forget that Vista is getting out of the shooting sports industry and selling off all shooting related companies they own.

Jim Boyd

I’m ok.

No new calibers in 2024 and maybe none in 2025.

Lemme get the 500 yard range in and cranked up and we will see what happens then.

Dub

I’m ok.

No new calibers in 2024 and maybe none in 2025.

Lemme get the 500 yard range in and cranked up and we will see what happens then.

I can understand that.
Your's is a noble project that will unlock the full enjoyment of shooting your existing guns. That is going to be an excellent place to enjoy shooting.

My 2024 gun-ammo plan was to only add one gun...nothing else.

Most of my shooting efforts will be spent on getting my reloading / gun maintenance / man-cave space sorted. We moved some furniture into my son's new house last Sunday. More will be going that way soon. It'll clear the space I need for the project.

2024 is nearing half over. I've procured the parts for that lone 2024 gun (action, chassis, barrel, trigger, scope, mount, bipod, grip....all here and ready for me to get'r'dun)....and gifted 3 handguns to my son along with all my existing 9mm & .45acp ammo. (y)

14hr shifts, doctor's appointments, medical procedures and daily house & yard chores delay me getting to the gun project fun. :mad:

Jim Boyd

I can understand that.
Your's is a noble project that will unlock the full enjoyment of shooting your existing guns. That is going to be an excellent place to enjoy shooting.

My 2024 gun-ammo plan was to only add one gun...nothing else.

Most of my shooting efforts will be spent on getting my reloading / gun maintenance / man-cave space sorted. We moved some furniture into my son's new house last Sunday. More will be going that way soon. It'll clear the space I need for the project.

2024 is nearing half over. I've procured the parts for that lone 2024 gun (action, chassis, barrel, trigger, scope, mount, bipod, grip....all here and ready for me to get'r'dun)....and gifted 3 handguns to my son along with all my existing 9mm & .45acp ammo. (y)

14hr shifts, doctor's appointments, medical procedures and daily house & yard chores delay me getting to the gun project fun. :mad:

I know you will do it RIGHT!

I just bumble along until I run into a hard object……