Making the shot\Recovering your animal after the shot

Public Land Prowler

Every year I see it and hear it over and over...Guys couldn't find a deer or hog they shot...Some of them go slip back in the stand a few days later only to flush up buzzards 100yds from their stand...Buzzards that are feeding on the animal they failed to recover.

Now it may just be me,but the way I was raised there is absolutely no excuse for losing an animal less than 100yds from where you shot it.I have some tips to share that will hopefully help some people find the animal after they have shot it.

I know not everyone is blessed with 20/13 vision near and far like me,and I know not everyone is able to see color as well as me either.Color blindness can really hurt you when you are trying to see the difference between reds and browns.If you have that problem.

I have a recovery kit that I use.It consists of about a dozen cayalume sticks(glow sticks),flagging tape,and backup flashilght,and spare batteries.If I were color blind I would try any of the bloodtracker lights,or get a friend that is not color blind to help.I have never tried peroxide,or any of the glow in the dark fluids you spray onto the brush.I've never needed it.

First thing I do when I climb a tree is to look at all my surroundings.I pick out any bush,log,or stump that could possibly make me think it is a deer when the last light is fading out.At the same time I am ranging these items,and any other tree,funny shaped tree,or landmark to see what distance they are from me.This helps alot right at dark when you look around,and notice a blob that wasn't suposed to be there.That alone has helped me get a few deer I may have overlooked.

Now let's imagine we have seen a deer,and are going to try to get the shot.Notice what marker(s)he is near.If you can range him great,but if you already have ranged before hand it is really not necessary.Now that you have him associated with a land mark let's make the shot.First off if you can't get a clean shot due to brush,or a bad angle DON'T SHOOT!You may get another opportunity.Also alot of guys regret shooting nub bucks they thought were does..Again if you aren't sure of the target 100%,and don't have a clean shot,or just don't feel confident..don't shoot! Either way don't chance wounding an animal.

A Standing broadside double lung shot of course is ideal,but if the deer is walking slowly you can simply place the gun in front of him in a shooting lane,and when he walks into the scope,and his shoulder is centered with the crosshairs..SHoot...If you try to keep the crosshairs on the deer as it walks you may never get him to stop for a shot,or could hit him in the stomach as he steps.I also like to notice when his front foot on my side steps down.As soon as it steps down I shoot..Because I know he has 3 other legs to move before that one moves again.

As soon as you shoot(bow or gun),watch to see where the deer runs to.Lay the weapon down as quickly as you can to free up both hands,or atleast use one hand if possible to cup your ear(s) to listen for the deer to crash...Also note any landmark he was last seen at when he ran away.(Off colored tree,larger than normal tree,anything).

Now here comes an important part.Things will look different from the ground.If possible.Stay in the stand until a friend can come.Then direct him to the spot where the deer was,and to where you last saw/heard it if he can't find blood.

If this is not possible,climb down keeping your eyes fixed towards the spot where the animal was.I have thrown my hat in the direction the deer was,I have also let my gun down,and settled it with the barrel pointing towards the spot where the deer was.That way you can be sure of which way to walk.

The next thing to do Is pull out a glow stick and put it out at your tree.I use red to remember that color is for my stand.Now walk towards where the deer was,and find the marker the deer was near when you shot it.When you arrive there put out an orange,blue,or yellow glow stick.Start looking for blood making small circles.

Hopefully you will find some blood.If you do you can put out a glow stick there.Start moving in the direction you heard/saw the deer go,and every 40yds or so put out a green glow stick.I just use green for blood marking.Keep one with you so incase you lose blood you can put it out to keep up with the last blood.These glow sticks are awesome to help you find your way back to your stand,and to also get an idea of what path the animal took as it left.You can look back and see where he came from.

If you have not found any blood start doing small circles,in the direction the deer went.Look for kick marks,broken limbs on little bushes.Look for blood spray on palmetto's,or where a deer may have brushed against a tree.

Assuming you did find some blood.What kind is it?Is it a good hit?Everything looked good,but there is stomach matter on the arrow?Alot of times a hit can be good,and come out with stomach matter just because of the angle.

Is it crimson red,maybe some foamy pink in there?That's what you hope for.Let's go get him..

But these below can throw up a red flag,and you may want to back out for a little while.

Is it dark red with some bubbles?That could very well be 1 lung,and a liver.Only dark red could be liver.

Is it a non-fatal meat hit? It will leave a reddish blood and a poor to fair blood trail that tapers off after a few hundred yards?..My general rule of thumb is UNLESS HE'S POURING BLOOD..if he has gone over 100yds you start losing odds on finding him,over 200yds,getting way slimmer..etc.

Does it smell like stomach matter?Do you find stomach matter?

I have seen deer hit in the neck bleed real good..taper out..then he will blow a puddle out as he clears his airway.Bleed good again,taper out,and then blow a puddle.That deer won't make it.If a deer is blowing out puddles he has blood entering the airway.

Take your time,and look high and low.Blood on one side of brush,and not the other can indicate which side of the brush he was on.Listen for flies to indicate where blood or the deer may be.Let one man look for blood,and the other stand at the last blood.There is no need for everyone to tromple around and possibly step on blood.

So you are following a blood trail,and it disappears?What in the world??And he's been bleeding good...I have seen a few things happen.When the deer gets real low on blood they will make a mad dash and just dive into the brush.They have bled out,and don't have anymore to leave a trail.Generally they will be within 50yds of the last blood.I have also seen deer backtrail 10 to 15yds,and then take off on a new path off of the original one.

Well all else has failed,you lost the blood,and you can't find him..What to do?

1-Walk the trail back,and look to see if he has back trailed.

2-Walk in the direction he last was going and make more small circles.Search brush piles,even small ones.

3-If with a friend make passes 10yds apart,for 40 or 50yds.

Here's some more tips..

If a deer is hit hard he will try to plow through anything to get away.If he isn't hit as hard he will take an easier path.(unless a downhill panic run)

Squirrels can tell on a deer when it comes running in their presence and passes.I found a doe last year that I couldn't find a drop of blood from,after I simply walked over to where the squirrels were chattering like crazy.

Alot of times fatally hit deer will run downhill,or atleast in a straight path.

Deer that have time to think usually turn around to go back where they come from,or will try to make a loop back to where they come from.

Flag up doesn't always mean the deer was missed,but generally a hard hit deer will keep it's tail tucked.

Watch body reaction when you shoot.Did it drop in the back end?(too far back)..Did it buck like a bronco?(possible mid-body hit),was he plowing like a bull dozier?(front legs out of commision)

Don't forget creeks,water holes,brush piles,even a small bushes can hide a deer.I have seen deer in a brush pile with no white visible.Sitting up like they fell asleep like that.

I hope some more will throw in some tips,or experiences of when they didn't give up.

j_seph

Good tips, I believe the main mistake folks make are getting in to big of a hurry and not paying attention to where the deer was, and direction went. Had a friend of ours shot a doe at Tuckahoe with a crossbow. He showed us where he shot and where it went(so he thought) He had to sort of twist as he went up the tree and down. We looked for an hour or so and no blood. We went back the next day and came in from the opposite side from where the deer was supposed to be and found the deer 60yds away. We back tracked her with no problem. She was on the opposite side of the tree from where he said, He said she was east when she was on the west

SELFBOW

Pay attention to blood splatter. It will indicate direction of travel. If you pick up on this you can realize whether he has back trailed.

XJfire75

Great post!

Deer dogs can be used. Just keep up with them. My Jack Russell found my doe on the spot and I just thought she was chasing another deer trail or squirrel. She ran to it got scared and came back and stayed with me. Finally found the deer after we let her show us again.

huntingonthefly

Gone but not forgotten
Very good and thorough info. And you don't even charge for it, lol!
One of the reply threads reminded me of a Golden Rule. Before giving up a search, ALWAYS look in the direction you ''know'' the deer DIDN'T go! Also on the bronco kick- I've seen several deer do that after a heart shot- sometimes all four legs- gun and bow.

Gentleman4561

Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to put this into practice.

burkehunter

I love when people put posts on here like this because to me it bothers me more when I shoot and lose one then it does for me not to shoot anything at all.

I found a deer for my dad last season by listening to the crows. We couldn't find blood, but when we walked in to start trailing (my dad came and got me out of my stand), I heard some crows carrying on way down in the hollow below my dad's stand. We were getting frustrated, so I followed a hunch and walked in the direction of where I heard the crows. I found a slide mark, then some blood. I found the deer about 30 yards farther down the hollow. The crows had been eating on his right hindquarter. I guess we spooked them away when we walked in.

I found another deer for my dad about 7-8 years ago because I noticed a buzzard setting in a dead tree out in the clearcut. It had been several hours since he shot the deer, and we had lost blood. We were about ready to give up when I remembered seeing that buzzard on the way in. I walked towards that tree way out in the clearcut, and when I got closer, 2 more buzzards flew up off the ground. The deer was laying right there. The deer had ran a huge circle around my dad's area and died in the exact opposite direction from where we thought he had run.

shortround1

Gone But Not Forgotten
Great post!

Deer dogs can be used. Just keep up with them. My Jack Russell found my doe on the spot and I just thought she was chasing another deer trail or squirrel. She ran to it got scared and came back and stayed with me. Finally found the deer after we let her show us again.
you hit it right, while i have friends that are great trackers, one can see blood when no one else can. i am getting older and have always been color blind, i can see blood but it looks like a heavy dew to me. thatz why if i am going alone i take my lab, she can find anything.:cool::biggrin2::yawn::D:pop:

Gadget

Good tips Randolf

Hate to lose any animal, drives me crazy, I'll look for days.

chambers270

Great post!

I have found deer when they quit bleeding by finding broken branches where they made the mad dash.

Another time it took me a while to find one because it was laying on its stomach and all the white was covered.

Good luck to everybody this year!

Davexx1

Lots of good info posted.

I would add that an experienced dog can find a deer when people can't. Sometimes, especially with a marginal hit, there just isn't enough visible sign for a hunter to follow. In good conditions, a dog can trail the deer when there is no visible sign.

To use a dog effectively you must know and do some things. The dog needs to be called in quickly and before the trail becomes too stale to follow and before people and/or other deer walk all over the wounded deer trail. If you attempt to trail and find your deer and it appears you are not having success, stop right there and get the dog immediately before you walk all over the trail and scatter wounded deer scent all over the area. That will greatly help the dog and increase his chances of finding the deer.

If you have a family pet such as a Beagle, Lab, Terrier breeds, or similar, take that dog to the hunt camp with you and start working with him and letting him smell every shot/dead deer possible. When possible, take the dog to a shot deer trail and let him work it out slowly and go right to the dead deer. After a few times, you will usually notice an increase in excitement and desire to follow the deer trail.

In some cases the dog may not be able to trail the deer but may "wind" the deer nearby. Pay attention to how the dog acts as he hunts and if he suddenly becomes focused on the breeze from a certain direction, he may be smelling a dead or alive deer laying upwind of your location.

I have trailed many wounded and dying deer off in one general direction for a great distance then suddenly the trail turns off to one side and starts a loop back toward where they came from, then fall over dead.

Mark any/all blood and sign as you work along the trail. That gives you a good visual reference in case you have to back up and start over.

Good luck to all.

Dave

Slings and Arrows

Mark any/all blood and sign as you work along the trail. That gives you a good visual reference in case you have to back up and start over.

Dave

Yep! Every one carries toilet paper. It marks a blood trail quit well and is biodegradable.

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
You touched on it PLP but one thing that has helped me find more than one deer has been my nose.

When the blood runs out, they are probably close. Use your sniffer. Most bucks have a strong scent to them. Does in heat do as well. If you run out of blood, start walking in small circles making sure to stop and sniff every once in a while.

Another thing if you are following a blood trail is to STAY OFF OF IT. Don't walk on the same trail the deer was walking on. Walk parallel to it. This will keep you from messing up any sign that you may have missed.

Also, don't just look at the ground. Look from your chest height to the ground. If you shot from an elevated position, the entrance wound could be as high as 3.5 feet from the ground. If there is no exit, this is the only hole they will be bleeding from and it may take some time before blood soaks the fur and makes it to the ground.

Lastly, don't just look at the tops of leaves. Especially on bushes. Turn some over and look for blood underneath them. As a deer passes them the front legs turn leaves over, the blood drops on the underside of the leaf and then the leaf flips back when the deer passes by.

All in all, be patient. It is not a race to find the deer. Don't forget to stop and look back at your markers from time to time. It will give you a much better idea of the path that the deer is taking.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I take it personal, if I can`t find one. I really enjoy trackin` one though.

EMC-GUN

Great info PLP! I have only killed 4 in my hunting time (2 years). Found all of them. I have seen statements on this site like "I'm pretty sure I got a good hit, but couldn't find it". That is unacceptable! Dishonorable as well. I shot 2 with Mosin Nagant M91 and 2 with a 45-70. All of them made it to the freezer! I have had a few moments when I was at a loss, but hunkered down, said a prayer and focused and then found them. 2 expired right in front of my stand. The other 2 ran. One about 60 yards the other about 40 yards. Talls grass and a lot of under brush. Still got them though!!!

pnome

Thanks for the info PLP.

I had a situation last season that I would like your comment on.

I shot at a deer that was about 125yrds away. I saw it buck up like a bronco, and kind of almost flip. It landed and shuffled a bit on the ground. It then got right up and trotted toward me up the field a bit. When it got to within about 50yrds it turned and run downhill into a creek bottom. When I was watching I couldn't tell if it had been hit at all. It didn't appear to have any injuries.

When I got down I went to the spot and the only thing I found was a small tuft of white hair. No blood at the spot, and no blood along the field or down the hill.

I figured I just missed, what do you think?

Pnome, I'm not PLP, but I hope you don't mind if I weigh in.

I had a similar thing happen back in 1997. The 8-pt bucked his back legs and took off. I thought it was his death run. I found a pile of white hair at the shot site and nothing else. I'm confident that I just grazed him behind the front legs. I had developed a flinch at the time, and I felt myself pull the rifle down just as I pulled the trigger. I did the same thing on another deer in 1996, but was fortunate enough to break both front legs and get a second shot.

I think you grazed your deer the way I did. I've seen several wounded deer buck so hard that they fell down before jumping back up and running off. Yours probably bucked so hard it fell down, maybe even knocked the wind out of itself.