Marine Personal Property Tax Return

teebert

New boat owner here. Got one of these in the mail today and am totally baffled at how to fill it out. A search of the forums say you absolutely have to send it in while others say they've trashed them for 40 years. I paid around $300 taxes at the end of 2022 on a 2021 Nitro z17. They're wanting me to list fair market value. I'm a very simple man, I don't buy and sell a lot of boats or cars. Someone explain this to me like I'm 5. Can I leave it blank? Can I just pick any old number? Can I use last year's value and minus 5%? It says you need to list trolling motors too. Is all that really necessary?

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I have authored a number of responses to this question over the years. I deal with these as a profession and have given my opinion. If you can’t find anything, I will type something out Monday when I get to a true keyboard.

hopper

Is it from the county? or state? I've never seen one or filled one out. Had my boat since 2013.
Just got mine in the mail. Filled it out online and just made up what I thought it was worth. If they have a problem with it I'm sure I will here from them.

teebert

Thanks Dustin, and everyone for the replies. I think I'll just take my purchase price and minus 5-10%. If they don't like it they can assign their own FMV. That way I'm not ignoring them. They did list my old jon boat and give it a value of $5000. It didn't cost that much new with the trailer! They want me to list who I sold it to. My dad sold it to someone a couple of years ago. I have no idea who and he probably doesn't have the bill of sale. We'll see what happens.

little rascal

Been moved out of state 3 years now. Ga still sends the forms. Finally got 2 new ones today. They actually have fill in the blanks for if you haves moved.
Ya'll wouldn't believe the brain dead folks who work at tag offices and property tax offices and all the ancient equipment they have.
I will gladly fill these out out and HOPE it ends. After it was all said and done, I should have left my two boats registered in GA. Would have been cheaper and easier. Up here out of state, they make sure they get that tax on boat, motor, and trailer. You actually have to Title the Boat, Motor and Trailer.
To the previous question,,,, when you buy a boat in GA, you go fill out a registration application. When you get registered you will get a personal property tax form. If you have a modern vessel, u can got to Nada guides and get a price. If it's older and not a normal rig, you have to calculate it's depreciation and worth on your own. If it's below a certain amount you pay nothing. But still have to fill out and send in their outdated paper work to comply.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I have no trolling motor or fish finder on my boat. Shh.. My tax office said don’t worry because they check the value of my boat. Just put something realistic down and they aren’t going to send anybody to look at it. Of course I live in a rural county so things may be different elsewhere.

BoosterC

Boats are NOW titled in GA. To be legal you must pay this tax. Don't throw it away. People ignored it in the past before boats became titled in GA. It is assessed by your county Tax Assessor. You pay it like Ad Valorem of Auto.
The actual TAXED asseessed value will be some percentage (determined by your county) of the fair market value.

For FMV go to JDPower value and list the Low end of the JDPower for your boat. If you leave it blank the county may select a inflated high value to tax you.

Or you can type in a google search : Price, Yeear, boat model, motor, and trailer and look what other people are trying to sell them for. People will post a HIGH price. would NOT use that.

Here is JD for your single console boat with I guessed a 150 HP motor

Last edited:

teebert

Boats are NOW titled in GA. To be legal you must pay this tax. Don't throw it away. People ignored it in the past before boats became titled in GA. It is assessed by your county Tax Assessor. You pay it like Ad Valorem of Auto.
The actual TAXED asseessed value will be some percentage (determined by your county) of the fair market value.

For FMV go to JDPower value and list the Low end of the JDPower for your boat. If you leave it blank the county may select a inflated high value to tax you.

Or you can type in a google search : Price, Yeear, boat model, motor, and trailer and look what other people are trying to sell them for. People will post a HIGH price. would NOT use that.

Just saw this. Thank you very much sir!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member

The percentage isn't determined by the county. The assessed value (which you pay taxes on), is 40% of FMV. That is for Real Property and Personal Property (Marine and Regular PP). This is state law.

The amount of effort a county puts into the Marine side will vary, but each county should be putting a value on these boats every year. I'd guess any county around a major body of water is spending far more time than some county far removed from a public body of water. If you do not return a value, the county does have the right to place an estimate of value. In Georgia, any value over $7501 will generate a tax bill. This is any combination of personal property.

Last edited:

fishmonger

I tried to ignore this, and ended up with a lien on my house. They will get their money, you are better off just paying it on time and moving on. Besides, a boat is a luxury, and if you can't afford the taxes, you can't afford the boat. Yes, I hate it too, but, we have a choice to own a boat, so it is not a tax on everyone, as has been implied. I also don't get why boats aren't treated like other motor vehicles, I assume it is because some boats can be considered a 2nd home. I wonder if RVs get taxed like boats or cars?

trad bow

If the boat stays on private water and never leaves it, does it have to be registered and taxes(fees) paid?

BoosterC

If the boat stays on private water and never leaves it, does it have to be registered and taxes(fees) paid?
That is only true for boat registratiion, but we are not talking about registration (The DNR sticker and numbers). This s property Tax for a Titled possession (Serial Numbers), whether it is registered or not. Understand that DNR info is linked/shared with the tax assessor.

trad bow

All agencies are connected to each other.

jam

I tried to ignore this, and ended up with a lien on my house. They will get their money, you are better off just paying it on time and moving on. Besides, a boat is a luxury, and if you can't afford the taxes, you can't afford the boat. Yes, I hate it too, but, we have a choice to own a boat, so it is not a tax on everyone, as has been implied. I also don't get why boats aren't treated like other motor vehicles, I assume it is because some boats can be considered a 2nd home. I wonder if RVs get taxed like boats or cars?
Yes a RV advol taxes has to be paid when getting the tag each year.

Bobbrown

I just got one for a 14’ wood boat I built in my garage. The interesting part…under GA law I can’t sell it. So, I put down -0- as fair market value since there is no market. Interesting to see how they approach this.

Waddams

Sounds like with the frequency I go boating, I need to not buy that boat I'd thought I wanted and just plan far enough ahead to rent one occasionally!

Latest posts