Marine Personal Property Tax Return

Procraft3

New boat owner here. Got one of these in the mail today and am totally baffled at how to fill it out. A search of the forums say you absolutely have to send it in while others say they've trashed them for 40 years. I paid around $300 taxes at the end of 2022 on a 2021 Nitro z17. They're wanting me to list fair market value. I'm a very simple man, I don't buy and sell a lot of boats or cars. Someone explain this to me like I'm 5. Can I leave it blank? Can I just pick any old number? Can I use last year's value and minus 5%? It says you need to list trolling motors too. Is all that really necessary?
Read it carefully. If you keep your boat outside of your home county more than 180 days a year like I do. You tell them you do and you don’t have to pay it. Heard County doesn’t charge this tax but Coweta does.

donblfihu

I have moved from the county that sent me the form. What am I supposed to do?

donblfihu

The county where I lived in 2021 is sending me this form to send back to them. The form says it’s for 2023, I don’t understand why they’re sending me this, I haven’t lived there in over a year and the boat has not been there in over a year. Why should I respond to them I have nothing to do with them anymore?

BoosterC

The county where I lived in 2021 is sending me this form to send back to them. The form says it’s for 2023, I don’t understand why they’re sending me this, I haven’t lived there in over a year and the boat has not been there in over a year. Why should I respond to them I have nothing to do with them anymore?
I suspect that is where you have the boat registered with DNR. That registration is for 3 yrs. Update your registration address and send proof to the county that you moved. What county are your boat trailer tags?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I just devalue by a couple of thousand every year. I know the ladies that work at the offices and they told me not to sweat it cause they look up the value on boat and motor.

WayneB

I claimed hull damage when I renewed my registration with DNR, once repaired I assessed a $1,000 value to my rebuilt 1994 hull.
Have yet to see an assessor, and pay nothing beyond what DNR charges to re-register the boat.

Oldstick

I got those every year but only after we moved from one county to an adjacent county. This was over a plastic boat that cost 1200 brand new and was already several years old when we moved.

The notices started after I had registered the jon-boat trailer in the new county. There was no motor involved except a small clamp-on electric motor.

I just filled it out stating a value of 600 and sent it back. Did the same every year with a decreasing value and never got a tax bill. The notices finally stopped after I had returned a value of 100.

Oldstick

By the way, the same county I mentioned above also has a reputation for going after the value of tractors and other such heavy equipment unless one can prove they are part an actual farming or construction type business. Surprising if they don't audit 4-wheelers, lawn mowers, tools and other such.

LTZ25

I don't think the value of the motor counts toward the amount of tax they charge , I know this sounds funny but it's what I understand , also trailer value don't count .

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think the value of the motor counts toward the amount of tax they charge , I know this sounds funny but it's what I understand , also trailer value don't count .
Motors are included in the valuation. Trailers aren't because you pay taxes for them when you get the tag.

DustyRoads

Yep,renting is the way to go....Wonder how many(if any) state reps,etc. have vested $ in boat rental companies?
Seems state government is steering(Forcing) us this way.

WayneB

Motors are included in the valuation. Trailers aren't because you pay taxes for them when you get the tag.
yeah, I only get a new tag when they change the design. :) Overtaxed on things that shoudn't be taxable enough already. cheaper to pay a one time ticket than renew tags on something that only get occasional use.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Yep,renting is the way to go....Wonder how many(if any) state reps,etc. have vested $ in boat rental companies?
Seems state government is steering(Forcing) us this way.
There was actually a bill on the floor probably 6-7 years ago that would have done away with the marine "luxury" tax. From what I head it was a done deal, but it never made it to a vote that I know of.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
I've been using Kelly blue book for the valuation of my boat.

I live in Gwinnett though my boat stays in Hall County year round at my lakefront property. So I pay Hall County property taxes on the boat and also a separate tax bill on the lake property, not to mention HOA fees. Between property taxes, HOA fees, and advalorem taxes on vehicles and trailers I'm going broke.

Latest posts