Matt. 5:31, 32; 19:3-9; Lk. 16:18 On Divorce And Remarriage

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but you seem to imply that many here would happily pick up rocks and join in.
Yep, I very much imply that, to be brutally honest. Everybody starting threads all about sins and whatnot lately.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
5. Them other folks were going to kill her by throwing rocks at her.
Yes, still true - He was her rescue.

That’s the difference in calling adultery sin; Jesus recognized it when He said go sin more, and accusing a person of adultery (stone throwers).

That said, I still believe there are some things that do not need to be preached to a person until they have a revelation of Jesus.

Internet preaching might can target a desired audience based on age, social status, and geography but it heavily lacks in the area of identifying an audience based on their needs.

You run the risk of condemning instead of convicted when you don’t know your audience and what they’re facing.

LDB can attest to the fact that his number of viewers drastically crashed - there’s a reason.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

From the moment of conception we are eternal beings.

How can an eternal being obtain everlasting life?
Rom. 6. [23] For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

We are born to die and have an eternal death due to sin. The gift of eternal life is from God, through Jesus.

tell sackett

How can an eternal being obtain everlasting life?
Rom. 6. [23] For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

We are born to die and have an eternal death due to sin. The gift of eternal life is from God, through Jesus.
We all have eternal existence somewhere. The question is eternal life or eternal death.

Artfuldodger

We all have eternal existence somewhere. The question is eternal life or eternal death.
My point was we inherited eternal death the day we were conceived due to Adam's sin. Eternal life is something we can gain through Jesus. The opposite of life is death. There is no eternal existence of a dead person.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
5. Them other folks were going to kill her by throwing rocks at her.
And who was those other folks? The religious elite of that day with the rocks in their hands. That does suggest at the very least be wary of religious folks without love and lacking in mercy.

We who are grafted in should be watchful over ourselves!

gemcgrew

But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

It's for Life.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

It's for Life.
If your wife ran off with another man, what are you going to do?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
That too, would be for Life.

I don't know that a believer ever wanders far from any experience apart from "where is the Life in this?"

But remember what Gem has said in regards to his relationship to hypotheticals.

When a wife did that I found out the Life was telling me I had thought I could love a wife and yet ignore Him. What a wonderful thing to have the one you have ignored be patient enough to wait for a hearing. So He could tell me the single thing I was lacking...attention to Him...was all that would both define and inform my every experience.

He has every bit of reality's attention; so it became plain the only place inattention could be found was in unreality.

Who is kind enough to enter to say a word there?

Where for a moment I thought I was wronged...something changed.

Hades is so real...it's unreal.
So you believe that God approves and joins EVERY marriage?

“hath married the daughter of a strange god. The Lord will cut off the man that doeth this”

If He ask you what does light have to do with darkness, is He going to bless darkness, the son / daughter of another god because they are now one with light? If neither are His, is He in it?

People are hanging yokes of guilt on themselves for things that happened before they came to God. 1 Corinthians 6 is a good read “which WERE some of you but now you’re washed”

Before God it doesn’t matter what you did, you’re washed when you come to Him, Judgement begins at the House of God. Now, you’re saying you believe His Word, you’re accountable to do things a certain way. If you never come to Him you’re already judged by His Word. No need in throwing the word adultery at the world.

This adultery topic the way it’s presented here does not know it’s audience. Everyone on this forum does not claim to know God. Some had bad relationships before they knew Him - those things are washed. Topics such as this aren’t made for internet preaching. They’re one on one Bible studies or from the Pastor to his congregation.

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
How you got from what I wrote to:

Is beyond me.
If your wife ran off with another man, what are you going to do?
I read “That too, would be for Life” to mean her running away and you being still bound to her. It’s important to note that those things happen but before we preach adultery in a situation, we need to see if it’s a marriage that God has actually approved and joined.

Edit to add: If I read it out of context, it’s only meant to be just a question at best, nothing confrontational. Some folks do believe that every marriage is “joined” by God, regardless.

Last edited:

BanjoPicker

Adultery
The willful violation of the marriage contract by either of the parties. Through sexual intercourse with a third party. The divine provision was that the husband and wife should become "one flesh" each being held sacred to the other. So taught Jesus: "Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female . . . Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh" When the Pharisees, with the apparent hope of eliciting some modification in favor of the husband put the question, "Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?" Jesus replied, "Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so . . . Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery," (Matt. 19:3-9). In perfect accord with this also is the teaching of St Paul. (Eph. 5:25-33; 1 Cor. 7:1-13; 1 Tim. 3:12). It will be seen that according to the fundamental law it is adultery for the man as well as the woman to have commerce with another person than the legal spouse. In ancient times, however, exception was made among the nations generally in favor of the man. He might have more wives than one or have intercourse with a person not espoused or married to him, without being considered an adulterer. Adultery was sexual intercourse with the married wife, or what was equivalent, the betrothed bride of another man; for this act exposed the husband to the danger of having a spurious offspring imposed upon him. In the seventh commandment (Exod. 20:14) all manner of lewdness or chastity in act or thought seems to be meant (Matt. 5:28).

Roman. The Roman law appears to have made the same distinction as the Hebrew between the unfaithfulness of the husband and wife, by defining adultery to be the violation of another man's bed. The infidelity of the husband did not constitute adultery. The Greeks held substantially the same view.

LittleDrummerBoy

Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. - 1 Corinthians 6:18-20

I often hear that since all sins are equal, we shouldn't worry about sexual immorality any more than other sins. But that's not what this verse says, is it?

Sexual immorality stands out to me both because of this verse and because it is on every NT list of disqualifying sins:

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. - 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. - Galatians 5:19-21

Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood. - Revelation 22:14-15

Madman

We don’t always like to hear what God tells us that he expects of his children.

A question arises from the witness’s proclamation; “What God has joined together, let no man separate”.

The question; did God make the union?

LittleDrummerBoy

As I've grown older, I've grown frustrated with some teachers over the partiality of the message, especially those I see on TV and hear on radio. For example, let's say I'm teaching a lesson on the sin of gluttony. I can show you a list of verses in the Bible as long as my arm that says gluttony is a sin. If I left it at that, that would only be maybe 1/3 of the lesson. If I was to go further and explain that forgiveness is available and how to accept that forgiveness, that's a lot better but still not a full lesson. Finally, if I directed someone to a ministry that helped overweight people (like myself) spiritually, mentally, and physically with the sin they're struggling with, that's a full lesson. And, I might add there might even more lessons related to gluttony that I haven't even thought of. Other eating disorders maybe?
Anyway, that's all I'm trying to say about avoiding partiality and giving a full message. And again, this is not a criticism of you or your ministry, just an observation I've made over the years.

Thanks for taking the time to explain with such a reasoned and well-considered reply.

The question I've been thinking a lot about regarding balance is applicable time scales. Is an unbalanced message necessarily an error or partiality if the audience only got a fraction of the broader message due to choice or circumstance? The speaker's message at my church last Sunday morning was a bit on the "fire and brimstone" side, for example. In the hour long version edited for YouTube, it might seem out of balance with just the sermon. But I thought it was well-balanced and impartial as a fraction of the 2 hour entire service including music, prayer, communion, worship, sermon, and more prayer.

For most ministries, I try and be slow to draw conclusions about balance or partiality based on a small sample size as one often gets with 30-60 minute sermons as often edited for TV, radio, or internet. But for myself, realizing that a significant fraction of my YouTube viewers don't make it past the 2 minute mark, I'm trying to do a better job including both grace and truth in the first 90 seconds.