Misadventures of the cat trapper

sprewett

Mostly, be on the sidelines again this year due to a lot going on and lack of $. But.... I still got feral cats that are causing problems so I got a box trap out with leftovers from one of the squirrels I cleaned today. I am excited as anything to check trap in the morning.

chase870

Possum Sox
Mostly, be on the sidelines again this year due to a lot going on and lack of $. But.... I still got feral cats that are causing problems so I got a box trap out with leftovers from one of the squirrels I cleaned today. I am excited as anything to check trap in the morning.
I bet a Big Mean Feral Tom Cat in a box trap in exciting for sure

sprewett

Checked again a bit ago, something has been messing with it but never went into the trap. I am wondering if it is the fox I have seen. Anyway got a trail camera that will tell me. Bait is still there because they can't pull it through.
Question @sportsman94 or @Doug B. Should I try to brush in the sides of the box a bit so they have to go through the door to get to it?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Your chances of getting a fox in a box are VERY slim.

But, feral cats like canned cat food better than squirrel parts.

Just open the lid, and place the can in the middle of the cage behind the pan, where he can't reach thru to it very well.

You'll get em...

Toliver

I'll send my wife over to help you. She has one of them have a heart trap in the back yard next to her chicken pen. So far she's caught a cotton tail, 2 possums and 1 armadillo. There has been no bait in it. Beats anything I ever saw.

sportsman94

I'll send my wife over to help you. She has one of them have a heart trap in the back yard next to her chicken pen. So far she's caught a cotton tail, 2 possums and 1 armadillo. There has been no bait in it. Beats anything I ever saw.
Just means she’s on location. Send her on my line to help me pick some spots next!

Toliver

It's inside a chain link fence in our back yard. I'm not even sure how the armadillo got in there. I guess he just bulldozed his way under the wire. If she catches a fox I'll let you know and I'll start renting her put for trapping consultation.

sprewett

It's inside a chain link fence in our back yard. I'm not even sure how the armadillo got in there. I guess he just bulldozed his way under the wire. If she catches a fox I'll let you know and I'll start renting her put for trapping consultation.
I am trying to catch feral cats I just figure it is a fox messing with it. I do have some coins as well guess it could be either one. But anyway I look at it appears I got out fixed! Hahaha

Toliver

I've trapped many cats. Used to do it for a living. Canned cat food. Pop the pull tab just enough to let the scent out. Pour just a little of the juice out inside the trap. They can't steal it from the outside and few cats will pick up the can. So they have to fool with it and inevitably step on the plate.

Doug B.

Checked again a bit ago, something has been messing with it but never went into the trap. I am wondering if it is the fox I have seen. Anyway got a trail camera that will tell me. Bait is still there because they can't pull it through.
Question @sportsman94 or @Doug B. Should I try to brush in the sides of the box a bit so they have to go through the door to get to it?
You don't necessarily have to brush it in. I do try to put something on the outside like a rock or stick of wood where the pan is. That is just to keep a coon or cat from reaching in from the outside and tripping the trap. Some cage traps have a smaller mesh at the bottom to keep that from happening.

sprewett

I know last year y'all had told me about cat food and I used it frequently and saw a ton of action. I just didn't have any and decided to use the squirrel parts leftover. This morning trap was sprung but nothing inside. Looking forward to pulling my sd card this evening to see what done it.
I know I ain't very successful but honestly I just enjoy the process and anticipation.

sportsman94

I know last year y'all had told me about cat food and I used it frequently and saw a ton of action. I just didn't have any and decided to use the squirrel parts leftover. This morning trap was sprung but nothing inside. Looking forward to pulling my sd card this evening to see what done it.
I know I ain't very successful but honestly I just enjoy the process and anticipation.
I kind of like the cat and mouse game when something keeps getting the best of you. Of course, I like catching right away as well, but if I have the time and the energy then making adjustments until you catch something is rewarding. I’m working on some beavers right now and I I haven’t had the catches I think I should based on the sign that’s in there. I keep making small adjustments and new sets waiting to take them out the next time they come through

B. White

I've got a big one and small one I keep near rabbit pens in cold months. 6 big rats, multiple squirrels and dillers will all run in it with no bait.

Toliver

I've got a big one and small one I keep near rabbit pens in cold months. 6 big rats, multiple squirrels and dillers will all run in it with no bait.
I'm glad you let me know this. I can now tell her she's not the only one and knock her down a notch or two off her high horse.

GeorgiaBob

I'm glad you let me know this. I can now tell her she's not the only one and knock her down a notch or two off her high horse.
Do you really want her off that horse? From a lofty and joy filled seat, she might be less likely to notice your feet of clay.

Our wives may be very different, but in my case, the more certain she is of her particular talent/skill the less likely she is to supervise me in a different endeavor.
:biggrin2:

Toliver

Do you really want her off that horse? From a lofty and joy filled seat, she might be less likely to notice your feet of clay.

Our wives may be very different, but in my case, the more certain she is of her particular talent/skill the less likely she is to supervise me in a different endeavor.
:biggrin2:
It was wishful thinking on my part anyway. She is absolutely certain of her superiority over me.

sprewett

I kind of like the cat and mouse game when something keeps getting the best of you. Of course, I like catching right away as well, but if I have the time and the energy then making adjustments until you catch something is rewarding. I’m working on some beavers right now and I I haven’t had the catches I think I should based on the sign that’s in there. I keep making small adjustments and new sets waiting to take them out the next time they come through
Can't wait to see pics of the beavers you catch