ML Bullets - Questions

Rich M

Okay - obtained a CVA Optima V2 and some ML bullets to test/try. Powder is T7. Fed 209A primers.

250 gr SST
290 gr TEZ
250 gr XTP + sabots (figure for 100+/- yards)
225 gr FTX + sabots (rated for 800-1800 fps)

Any suggestions for other bullets to try?

Powder loads?

Will chrono the loads and go from there.

Primary target is "just deer". Want to have at least one 200 yds capable load.

Hillbilly stalker

There are thousands of possible combo’s. I’ve always looked up the gun on big box stores website and read the reviews on the gun. In the comments you will start to see a pattern emerge for what load that peticular rifle likes . That’s where I start. It will save you money and range time. 200 yard plus is a pretty good crack for a muzzle loader. That’s asking a lot out of one. Yeah I know it can be done, it takes more tweaking and trigger time than most guys are willing to give it.

GregoryB.

I would think you would need a 150gr powder charge for that 200 yard shot. I know from personal experience that 150grs will wreck a cheap scope. You going to use a BDC Reticle for bullet drop.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
200 yards is a heckuva poke for a muzzle loader.

You gotta think lobbing it in there, and shooting 150 grains of powder ain't gonna do nothing but beat you to death.

A Hornady GP385 will kill a deer just fine at 200, propelled by 90 or 100 grains of powder.

You just gotta spend the time and trouble to make it happen, and figure for a couple feet of drop.

100 to 150 is about 6"

100-200 is about 2 feet.

If you can hit him good, you'll kill him good.

Muzzleloader projectiles are great to 100, but they ALL bleed energy quickly and drop like a rock after that.

No magic bullet, powder, pellet, or gun, despite what you may see in ads, or read online.

If I were gonna try it, my choice would be my TC Omega, 100 grains, and a GP385. Sturdy scope with a duplex reticle, sight for 200 on the bottom post, and see where the center winds up...Go from there.

Rich M

Thanks guys.

Those are bullets I have. Got the ssts on sale and found out they won’t expand at more than 150 yds.

Tezs should expand but are pricey at over $1 per shot.

xtps are for woods hunting. 100 yds kind of thing. $.55 per shot

ftx will expand at low speeds, might be good for 200. $.65 per shot

got a viper 2-7 on there right now but will swap it w vx2 3-9 shortly.

been doing the research thing and 130 gr seems to be the sweet spot for longer range.

need to see what can get w velocity w diff wt powders. I shoot 225 yds with a 1900 fps 357 mag rifle and 4x scope. With a 150 zero, 200 is within the max point blank bracket.

it’s fun stuff. need to just get to range and life keeps getting in the way plus it’s in the 90s every day thru October now down here.

I want 200-250 yds to go out west. Waiting to see if have drawn permit.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Just my opinion but if you’re looking for getting as much range and velocity out of your muzzleloader I’d use Blackhorn 209 as your powder. I’ve killed several deer at distances of 140-165 yards. I set my scope 3” high. I’m good to 175 yards without having to worry about bullet drop. It’s gonna shoot a couple of inches low at 175 but I’m still in well within the kill zone. I’m shooting a max charge of Blackhorn and a Barnes 250 gr EZ bullet.

Last edited:

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
i shoot 100 grains of 777 with a 180 grain 44 mag HP. Have never tried different loads. Sighted in at 100 yds.