Mosquito yard spray

3ringer

Has anyone had their yard sprayed for mosquitos. Is it effective or a waste of money. I was wondering if I had my yard sprayed and my neighbors didn’t , will it still work. I am so tired of having to spray myself down everytime I go out. Looking to have it done next season since winter is just around the corner.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Never used a control company. I did plant several citronella plants around the back porch and didn't have any mosquitos.Have also heard to spray certain essential oils to keep them at bay.

LonePine

I started monthly spraying this year and have to admit that I'm happy with it. I was very, very skeptical but my wife kept pushing so I finally gave in. I refused to believe that it would work but seems to be effective. Apparently, mosquitoes can't sustain long periods of flight, so they are constantly landing. Treating your yard and bushes is effective even if your neighbors don't because they have to constantly land on your treated property. It doesn't kill every one and even the pest control folks acknowledge that but say that it should reduce mosquitoes by 90%. Also requires re-treatment after extended periods of rain but most of the companies will re-treat for free if that's the case.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and look for some mosquito control yard spray. You hook them to your water hose and spray. Ortho, Cutter, Spectracide, they all make some. I used Spectracide earlier this summer because the yard where we're renting is unbearable without bug spray. First application lasted probably 3 weeks before it got bad again. The next application, I don't think the applicator worked properly. Even after spraying front and back yards, I don't think anything but water was coming out. I think it was a faulty sprayer. But I can say the first time definitely worked.

95g atl

Use to have to spray myself every time I set foot outside and still would get bit somehow!

Few years ago, buddy of mine turned me onto monthly spraying. Main issue was he did my property as a "promotional special" to get others interested. 3+ acres here. Once he said he can't do it for what he did his promotional special, so I went and bought the Stihl blower myself and chemical. I can say i've been more than happy. It's not hard work and I like to do spot treatments if need be.

IMO, it is worth every penny whether you buy the equipment and do yourself OR hire a service. I use to get torn up being outside for a few mins, now I can stay outside ALL DAY and rarely get a bite. If I get a few bites, I know it is time to fire up the blower again.

Neighbors do NOT have it done close to me. Everyone here has acreage and my property backs up to a large suwanee wooded park (which they don't spray either). It is EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE just spraying my property. However, if I go over to a neighbor's house 100 yards away where they don't spray, I'd get bit over and over....

In fact, i'm such a believer, I have a blower I leave at my hunt club and when I first arrive at camp i'll spray the entire area. Takes about 20-30 mins and everyone is very thankful. In fact, it even takes care of our chigger issue in the weeds around camp. Spiders too.

Finally, in my opinion, the box store treatments are only so-so. To get the professional results, you must use the professional chemicals (which you can buy locally - you just have to know where). Box store chemicals tend to be "watered down" in my opinion.....but your results may vary.

Good luck.

hopper

We could not even step foot outside since we moved in without spraying ourselves.
Bought the yard spray from lowes or HD "Off Backyard" 3 weeks and hardly even see a skeeter. I spayed partial front and back of yard has been a dream come true. I bought 2 bottles and only went through one. Each bottle does 16,000 sqft. Took about 30 min.
Just attach to hose and go.
Good luck.

DAWG1419

Buy the stihl backpack mister and bifen xts from doityourself pest control. Add in archer if you want. That’s all they do. Very easy. We thought about offering the service but we haven’t yet. Or just add the bifen xts to a backpack sprayer like you spray round up out of and soak all your bushes.

someguyintraffic

Bifen is going kill everything including pollinators and is hazardous to aquatics.

Put Bacillus Thurengeinsis dunks in water and rain barrels.

Lilly001

How does the spray effect non target species?
At my place in Fl the rainy season brings out a host of critters.
In fact as I type this the frog noise outside makes it almost impossible to hear the TV.
I would hate to kill everything.

champ

Plant Wax-Myrtles all around Your property if You're able to. May not help an awful lot with gnats but it certainly keeps mosquitoes at bay.

Barfolomew

We had this done last year and this was my conclusion:
  • It kills everything, even pollinators so you can't have a garden
  • The larger your lot, the better it will work as the bugs have more ground to travel to get to. If you have a small lot and your neighbors don't spray, then you'll still get eat up.
  • Removing brush and ivy to reduce standing water or overhangs that shade moist areas cuts down on the bug problem about as much as the spraying
  • Ask yourself if you really are going to spend any appreciable time outside, if the answer is no, then why even do it. We try to only spend significant time outside if we're going to be moving around, it's under 60 or there is a good breeze. Otherwise, its too hot to sit outside anyway. I don't get bit while mowing the grass or doing other yard work, unless it is calm and wet; so I don't do those chores during that time period.
As we wanted a garden and removed a lot of the brush, we didn't spray this year. We have about the same mosquito volume as last year with spraying.

3ringer

Just ordered some Bifen . Thanks for the help

fishingtiger

I used to do it and it worked. Killed mosquitos along with bees, butterflies and all the other good bugs that I liked seeing in the yard. I stopped doing it and now just wear long pants and long sleaves when doing any yard work if the skeeters are out. I put fans on my porch which keeps them away.

GaMudd

At our last house I fogged for mosquitos with a combination of Pyrethrin and Permethrin (sp) that I ran through a barn fogger. This worked well for about 7-10 days if it didn't rain. I really can't speak to the affect on all other bugs, but it did not seem to diminish the lightning bug population. 3ringer, you are just up the lake from me, if you want to try this setup, I still have some supplies left over. Just let me know.