Move over law.

NOYDB

BANNED
Some can't seem to deal with moving to the side of the lane to make room. They feel that they have to drive with their vehicle centered in the lane instead of moving over 2 ft and riding the line.

Backlasher82

I watch COPS a lot. People hit the cruiser all the time

Crazy

Yep, they're concentrating so hard on the object they're trying to avoid that they run right into it. The moral of the story is don't rubberneck.:D

gunnurse

This debate will be a hard one to win for Wilburn Dycus. He was a Ringgold police officer who had to be extricated from his police car when it was hit by a truck pulling a trailer. The driver "didn't see the police car." He also didn't see the other police cars at the accident site on I-75 at m/m 348, even though they all had their emergency lights activated.

A police officer's life is not "worth more" than anyone else's, but it certainly isn't worth less. It's just a shame that some of these "revenue enhancements" that everyone is complaining about can't go to Wilburn.

lbzdually

Banned
This debate will be a hard one to win for Wilburn Dycus. He was a Ringgold police officer who had to be extricated from his police car when it was hit by a truck pulling a trailer. The driver "didn't see the police car." He also didn't see the other police cars at the accident site on I-75 at m/m 348, even though they all had their emergency lights activated.

A police officer's life is not "worth more" than anyone else's, but it certainly isn't worth less. It's just a shame that some of these "revenue enhancements" that everyone is complaining about can't go to Wilburn.

Prosecute the person that hit him with reckless endangerment. Sue the man in civil court for his medical costs. Both of those options have been on the table for many years and they directly deal with people being reckless enough to hit a police officer. Problem is, no law will ever stop stupidity, but there are reprocussions for being stupid after the fact.

T-N-T

Pretty sure the law and the fines should have been stiffer. Then maybe the full blown idiot would have seen the poor fellow he killed???

gunnurse

To clarify, Wilburn wasn't killed. But he will have to have surgical repair of fractures and will be off work for months in rehab.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I cant believe anyone has never been in the position that could not get over a lane. I have found myself where I could not more than once. Far as moving over to the left of the lane you are in, I don't think the police can or want to distinguish your movement of 2 feet. As some said above, abruptly slowing down will cause more problems than it will solve. I have a problem of a LEO making a case of you not moving over while ignoring the hundred of people that are driving 20 mph above the speed limit.

NOYDB

BANNED
Need, not just want to change lanes? Use your accelerator, either release and fall in behind, but use the accelerator to enter the spot behind the car. Or use the accelerator to speed up and pull in front of the car in the lane. If it's too late to do that (extremely rare) you weren't paying attention.

Too many act as if their accelerator ankle is cased in concrete and they can't move it to allow for conditions. Adjust your speed to allow for the conditions you are encountering now. And also for whatever you anticipate in the future.

GoldDot40

I have been in a towing/recovery business. I've spent way more time on the side of the interstate than I ever cared to.

I also have a brother who's a firefighter-paramedic...and several kin who are LEO. Had a neighbor growing up that worked for GDOT that was hit and killed on the side of the road...while standing behind his state truck with the lights flashing.

With that said, it is the law for a reason. Has nothing to do with generating revenue. It's about keeping public service personnel safe. Do some LEO officers abuse the law? Probably. I don't have sympathy for violators just because they get popped mainly for trying not to be inconvenienced. If you're paying attention, you usually can see flashing lights from nearly a mile away. People usually have PLENTY of time to perceive and react...yet I see people who wait until the very last second to even attempt turning on their turn signal.

I drive a truck for a living too. I average 1600-1800 miles a (5-day) week. There's not been many times at all where I came up on a emergency vehicle where I couldn't get over. The times I couldn't, I activated my 4-way flashers way in advance and slow to a 'safe' speed. If there's a car or multiple cars directly to my left that give me a hard time making room, I'll sometimes crowd them a little to give an extra few feet to the emergency vehicle. Never had any ill effects by using this practice.

swamp hunter

Something like 40,000 People are killed in Traffic accidents every year.
Think about that 40,000. Lay them foot to head and they'd reach Atlanta from my home at the edge of the Everglades.
That,s a lot of killing.
They need to give out Chill Pills at the Toll booths.
I sit in the slow lane at 68 miles an hour, and look 2 miles in front of me. Never been in that much of a hurry to die.