Munson

DannyW

One of a kind.

I remember one particular call of his, a punt return, it went something like this:

"He fields the ball near the goal line. He's at the 5, the 10, breaking tackle after tackle, he's fighting and clawing his way to the 20! They finally bring him down at the 25. The officials place the ball at the 24. We'll call it the 26."

He just got so excited, and this an ordinary punt return, that he kinda lost it.

A good memory...hadn't heard his name in years.

Madsnooker

A lot of your peers would probably never guess you were from Ohio. The south will do that to you as quick as any area of the country. Even the "northern" part of the south that is FLA.
What's funny is every year I go back to Ohio deer hunting and when we go eat at the little country resturants the waitresses always ask me where I'm from because of my accent and when I tell them Cleveland the just look at me funny and say now way with that southern accent.:bounce:

ddavis1120

[QUOTE="
Lindsay Scott's "Immaculate Catch" is probably one of the best play by play calls of all time and certainly Munson's best. I still get excited every time I listen to it.

"Man is there gonna be some property destroyed tonight!" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

[/QUOTE]

If you recall Notre Dame had just tied with GT so the intensity of being number one was already palpable during the fourth quarter. Everybody that was listening knew what was on the line and it was like the football Gods opened up the sky and dropped that pass to Lindsey and guided him to the end zone.

Munson described the divine intervention perfectly!

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Good ole (old) Hodgson's pharmacy. We lived almost across the street. Corner of milledge and university. The house towards 5 points.
small world. Did you ever swim at The Downtowner? We sure did.
We went to watch the Bulldawgs play “back in the day” and listened to Larry Munson on the radio. He was a legend in my book. After one of the games I bought this record album and still have it. We probably only listened to it twice and it doesn’t have a scratch on it. I just went through some stuff we had packed away to find it.

View attachment 1107323View attachment 1107324
I've got that same album. Wish I could play it.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I can hear Larry now.

Alright, get the picture now. Dawgs in their red tops, red helmets and silver britches. Crowd of about 92,000, and man, are they loud. Here we go…

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Its kind of tricky, but i've been able to sync the tv with the radio broadcast a number of times. Waaaay better than listening to the idiot dawg-hatin commentators on the tv
How you do dat:huh:

georgiadawgs44

I loved Munson and sure do miss his calls. I remember when Colorado came to Athens to play us. They had brought their buffalo with them. I was listening to the pregame that day and Munson was beside himself that they were going to let that thing out on the field. Ole Larry wasn’t happy about that at all! They ran that Buffalo all the way across the field and Larry described how it was just tearing up the field! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

campboy

How you do dat:huh:

Ok here's what I do. I have youtube tv. I also have the Dawgs app on my phone. Right before kickoff I open the app and tap the bottom of the screen on "audio". The next screen that pops up you tap "live". The broadcast should start playing. On my tv I have the game paused right at the moment of kickoff. I listen to the broadcast and when I know the kickoff is coming I unpause my tv. It might not be perfectly synced up but I can usually get it close. Maybe some of the others here have a better way of knowing how to do it. Sometimes you have to pause one or the other to get synced up

westcobbdog

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: We were staying in St. Simons and H22 broke the sliding door. Not the glass and not on purpose, but it cost him the deposit on the condo.:bounce::bounce::bounce:
That’s hilarious.
I was with my Dad down in the corner of the end zone, folks were hugging and sniffling and sad and saying see you next year so and so, then that play happened. Fla really outplayed UGA that day and still lost. What a play and call by Larry.

FootLongDawg

I was such a fan of Larry Munson that I would listen to him even though he was not synched with my satellite TV. He would come across a good bit behind each play, but I didn't care. I was always amazed how accurate he was with his calls in his heyday. I remember 30 years ago almost getting into a fight with another Dawg fan I worked with when he told me he did not like Munson. He said he was a homer and too dramatic. I said DUH you freaking idiot, that is what makes him so good. Told him you ain't no Dawg fan if you don't like Munson. That really ticked him off.?

kingfish

Win or lose, listening to him was like hearing an old timer tell a really good story. Even during the off years, he was never negative towards the Dawgs. As a Gator fan, I would look forward to listening to him when I hunted up in Georgia. The term legend gets thrown around a lot, but in his case, it's pretty easy to call him that.

GTMODawg

BANNED
“Get the picture….dawgs in red with silver britches and read head gear….”

“Loran, wadya got”

“Give him 3 yards” or “give him 4 yards”.

If UGA had the ball a 5 yard run was three….if it was the other team a 2 yard gain was 4.

Munson was the greatest ever and it ain’t close. He was a story teller in the moment with a mastery of the language that would serve a Pulitzer Prize winning author well.

Munson sealed my fate as Dawg fan one night in October, 1978 when Rex Robinson won the UK game in Lexington and Munson never said the kick was good! There was no doubt listening to his reaction but he never said it was good. My Dad and I were in his bed listening to the radio and the rain outside and Lexington seemed like a foreign, exotic location that normal people like us would never see in person….yet a familiar voice was describing kids from Georgia conquering the Wildcats on the football field. Pure magic. We had been listening to Munson since I can remember but that was the first time I remember a call….even at 12 I knew that what I had just heard on the radio was more than a simple play by play account of a football game….it was grand dramatic theater and Munson was the writer, director and cast all in one.