My 5th summer garden: Expansion and more beans

BowSniper

Garden 1.jpgThis is the beginnings of our garden. Was just yard like the grass around it and we have now tilled it about 4 times to mix it all in and break it up a little more. Will probably have to fence it in once the deer find it. Also hoping we get enough sunlight to raise good veggies. Oddly excited to try this gardening stuff. Always hated working in a garden as a young'n but now, being all grown'd up", and living in Brandon's world, I need all the help I can get with groceries. Have been following along to get ideas and advice and will lean on yall as needed in the near future. Will try to remember to update with more pics as we progress.

BowSniper

livinoutdoors

Has his priorities in the right place
View attachment 1300483This is the beginnings of our garden. Was just yard like the grass around it and we have now tilled it about 4 times to mix it all in and break it up a little more. Will probably have to fence it in once the deer find it. Also hoping we get enough sunlight to raise good veggies. Oddly excited to try this gardening stuff. Always hated working in a garden as a young'n but now, being all grown'd up", and living in Brandon's world, I need all the help I can get with groceries. Have been following along to get ideas and advice and will lean on yall as needed in the near future. Will try to remember to update with more pics as we progress.

BowSniper
Good luck to you and i'll say sometimes how much direct sun you do or dont need will suprize you. We have very very very bright summer sun here in the south (duh!) And a little bit of shade isnt a huge deal.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Oddly excited to try this gardening stuff. Always hated working in a garden as a young'n

I don't think it's odd. I get more fired up for garden season than I do for deer season......there's just something about filling a plate up with your own veggies. We got into canning as well last year and that was like cracking open a whole new level. I never had a garden as a kid, and spent my whole adult life wanting one but never had a palce to put one till I moved out here. Now I absolutely love the chores that come along with it, and the payoff in the end.

Keep the pics comin!

j_seph

I changed up this year. We been planting garden last 7 years and tried something different at least 5 times. We are trying a commercial grade weed barrier this year. Tilled garden ,then we stapled in the weed barrier cloth over the garden. Burn the holes in where we place the plants at. Was some work to do but if it works as others have shown it may be a game changer. We got 2 rows of pink half runners in which was the hardest part IMO due to the number of holes. We shall see.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I changed up this year. We been planting garden last 7 years and tried something different at least 5 times. We are trying a commercial grade weed barrier this year. Tilled garden ,then we stapled in the weed barrier cloth over the garden. Burn the holes in where we place the plants at. Was some work to do but if it works as others have shown it may be a game changer. We got 2 rows of pink half runners in which was the hardest part IMO due to the number of holes. We shall see.

Very cool. Ill be interested to see if it works.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
it finally got dry enough to plow the garden here on Tuesday. I ran the offset harrows over it 2 times Tuesday, and then the tiller over it a couple of times today. My dad came down with his tractor and we played with the plastic mulch layer until I got it adjusted where it would lay out the hills, cover them in plastic, lay the drip tape and cover the edges of the plastic. That took the best part of an hour. I put down the fertilizer for the hills, and we laid down the plastic mulch for 3 rows about 100 ft each. That should give me plenty of 'maters, squash, cukes, canterlopes, peppers, and such. If we don't get rain before I get off work tomorrow, I am gonna lay off some rows and put the Mountain Half Runners in the ground tomorrow.

After I got my plastic mulched rows in, I went to my Dad's house and helped him put down 3 rows of plastic mulch. His is closer to 150 ft long. All 3 rows took about 15 minutes to lay the plastic and drip tape down. I told Dad... Well, I just did all the weeding of your 'mater, squash and cukes for the year.... He was all smiles.

sportsman94

Bought one yesterday im worried may not survive the deer season…….:lotta local Billy’s round here won’t look twice fore pullin the triggerView attachment 1301300
Pretty sure I saw his twins being shot at Don Carter last year. Better reinforce that fence before October!

I planted/replanted everything yesterday besides one row of peas and one row of beans. Our germination was pretty poor on butter beans, beans, and peas the first time so I sowed pretty heavy. We’re getting some rain today, but nothing like they called for. I need to get the drip tape laid out so I can put some water to it

elfiii

Admin
Staff member