My 5th summer garden: Expansion and more beans

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I planted mine on March 2nd. I was a little late getting them in but to me they are one of the easiest plants to grow. Bury a spud and mound dirt around them and then wait.

Whur do u get the spuds? From what I understand store bought tater spuds won’t grow. And don’t u have to keep mounding em up?

Whitefeather

Management Material
Whur do u get the spuds? From what I understand store bought tater spuds won’t grow. And don’t u have to keep mounding em up?
I found mine in Newnan. They’re pretty readily available. I mound mine once and then just mulch them with straw if needed to keep the spuds themselves from getting sunlight. Pretty easy and bugs aren’t really a problem yet.

Whitefeather

Management Material
After all the rain and next week’s temperatures I went out and sprayed Dr Jack’s Copper Fungicide on all my plants this evening. I’m trying to stay ahead of it this year. It always seems like I’m always playing catch up.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Granny knew her okry
and her cotton. She wouldn't plant cotton until after she planted okry. Granny always planted by the signs too. I don't know anything about what the signs are in the month, or any of that, but I know Granny seems to always have a good garden. I remember her in her early 80's, on a walker in the garden, hoeing out her tomatoes

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
and her cotton. She wouldn't plant cotton until after she planted okry. Granny always planted by the signs too. I don't know anything about what the signs are in the month, or any of that, but I know Granny seems to always have a good garden. I remember her in her early 80's, on a walker in the garden, hoeing out her tomatoes
Since you opened the door, allow me to ask, did granny just plant a small amount of cotton to spin into thread? Did she raise enough to sell to the gin? Just curious as to how people lived and got by.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Since you opened the door, allow me to ask, did granny just plant a small amount of cotton to spin into thread? Did she raise enough to sell to the gin? Just curious as to how people lived and got by.
Before all her chillins married and moved out, they where share croppers that raised cotton to sell. My Grandpa was given a share of what he raised to sell or use how he needed to to support his family. My family came up red clay dirt poor. My Grandpa never had a place of his own until my uncle bought him a farm after my Dad got married and move off. My Uncle made good money in a grading business he started after WW2, and was able to get his parents out of the sharecropping housing and into a place of their own. Dad tells me stories of him dragging a pickin' sack down the rows of cotton and he had to pick 50 pounds a day when he was 7 or 8 years old. There wasn't any outhouses close to the cotton fields and he tells some pretty disgusting stories about potty trips, tape worms and dysentery too.

After I came along, and was old enough to remember, Granny only planted a little cotton to make yarn for crocheting her dollies and arm covers for her living room chairs.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Before all her chillins married and moved out, they where share croppers that raised cotton to sell. My Grandpa was given a share of what he raised to sell or use how he needed to to support his family. My family came up red clay dirt poor. My Grandpa never had a place of his own until my uncle bought him a farm after my Dad got married and move off. My Uncle made good money in a grading business he started after WW2, and was able to get his parents out of the sharecropping housing and into a place of their own. Dad tells me stories of him dragging a pickin' sack down the rows of cotton and he had to pick 50 pounds a day when he was 7 or 8 years old. There wasn't any outhouses close to the cotton fields and he tells some pretty disgusting stories about potty trips, tape worms and dysentery too.

After I came along, and was old enough to remember, Granny only planted a little cotton to make yarn for crocheting her dollies and arm covers for her living room chairs.
Your family and mine share many things alike. My maternal and paternal grandfathers neither one owned any land of their own. Both were cotton farmers as well. The paternal side had an easier life than my mother’s side. She was raised fatherless after 15, granddaddy died and left six children to be raised by their mother. I’m curious to put little bits of information together to figure out how those people made it.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Your family and mine share many things alike. My maternal and paternal grandfathers neither one owned any land of their own. Both were cotton farmers as well. The paternal side had an easier life than my mother’s side. She was raised fatherless after 15, granddaddy died and left six children to be raised by their mother. I’m curious to put little bits of information together to figure out how those people made it.
The only way they made it was by scraping by on very little, not wasting a thing, and lots of prayer. Dad was raised on one pair of shoes a year, and he got those just before school started, if Grandpa had the money or the credit to get them. If he didn't, they had to wait until some money came in. My Dad has some rationing stamps from WW2 where my Granny could get sugar, shoes and such for her family. They were stamps she never used to get anything. I asked my Dad, Why didn't Granny get you shoes, or get sugar if she had the stamps allowing her to buy them. He said, If you don't have the money to buy them, the stamps don't do you any good.

My Grandpa told me stories of taking Granny to town once a month in there Ford T model. It was about a 20 mile drive, on muddy, pot holed roads from Shoal Creek to Gainesville. He told me that while my Granny shopped for what they needed, he would pull the oil pan off the T, he had to reline the main bearings with pieces of leather so they could make it back home. When they got home, the job had to be repeated before they could go anywhere else.

The T didn't have windows or any way to keep out the weather. When Dad was around 12 or 13, which would have been around 1950, Grandpa got a A model with roll down windows. Grandpa was a 'backer chewer. They were going to town right after they got the A, and Grandpa, being use to just turning his head and spitting out the windowless opening, forgot to roll down his window. When he spit, it splattered all over the window and right back in his face. Dad said Grandpa had a few choice words to say about that window and Henry Ford.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
The only way they made it was by scraping by on very little, not wasting a thing, and lots of prayer. Dad was raised on one pair of shoes a year, and he got those just before school started, if Grandpa had the money or the credit to get them. If he didn't, they had to wait until some money came in. My Dad has some rationing stamps from WW2 where my Granny could get sugar, shoes and such for her family. They were stamps she never used to get anything. I asked my Dad, Why didn't Granny get you shoes, or get sugar if she had the stamps allowing her to buy them. He said, If you don't have the money to buy them, the stamps don't do you any good.

My Grandpa told me stories of taking Granny to town once a month in there Ford T model. It was about a 20 mile drive, on muddy, pot holed roads from Shoal Creek to Gainesville. He told me that while my Granny shopped for what they needed, he would pull the oil pan off the T, he had to reline the main bearings with pieces of leather so they could make it back home. When they got home, the job had to be repeated before they could go anywhere else.

The T didn't have windows or any way to keep out the weather. When Dad was around 12 or 13, which would have been around 1950, Grandpa got a A model with roll down windows. Grandpa was a 'backer chewer. They were going to town right after they got the A, and Grandpa, being use to just turning his head and spitting out the windowless opening, forgot to roll down his window. When he spit, it splattered all over the window and right back in his face. Dad said Grandpa had a few choice words to say about that window and Henry Ford.
Neither of my granddads ever had a car or drove one. My paternal granddaddy was born in 1876, that’s the year of The Battle of the Little Bighorn. His father a Confederate veteran took his family to Texas for a while after the civil war. Texas was where Granddaddy was born, they came back to Georgia sometime after that. My granddaddy and grandmother eloped horseback and raised Six sons farming. When my mother died and we went through some of her belongings, it told about her poverty, buttons on a piece of thread,rolls of string tied together in one piece,saved everything. She inheirited a house from her her stepfather where grandmother and grandfather retired to in town. My mother’s family had a hard time in North Louisiana in the depression and war years. Momma’s stories would leave some people unbelieving. My life started on a small farm that daddy bought after he came home from WW2,he struggled for about 4or5 years and got a civil service job at Warner Robins in about ‘52. We got a new Motorola tv and a custom line Ford in 1956. High cotton times. Could rant more, maybe another time.