NCAA Pausing All NIL Investigations

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
And that's the end of college football right there.

Cool Hand Luke

Watched the Johnny Manziel story last night. He was a messed up dude but a baller in college. Made A&M millions but didn't get a dime of it. Made his own money selling autographs behind NCAA's back and got half game suspension. He'd be a millionare if playing today. That was only 13 years ago........

bullgator

I guess I’m on the opposite side from many of y’all. I’m only interested in the amateur student athletes. The ones who played for the college they wanted to represent the most of their offered options. The ones that wanted to represent their favorite school or the state they grew up in. The ones who valued the education made available to them. The ones who understood the percentages of a multi-year pro career and the likelihood that the education would be the path to financial independence. The ones that appreciated the fact that their parents probably couldn’t afford college tuition. Pointing out greed is like an inverted circular firing squad…….just fire away in any direction because they’re all guilty.

Cool Hand Luke

I guess I’m on the opposite side from many of y’all. I’m only interested in the amateur student athletes. The ones who played for the college they wanted to represent the most of their offered options. The ones that wanted to represent their favorite school or the state they grew up in. The ones who valued the education made available to them. The ones who understood the percentages of a multi-year pro career and the likelihood that the education would be the path to financial independence. The ones that appreciated the fact that their parents probably couldn’t afford college tuition. Pointing out greed is like an inverted circular firing squad…….just fire away in any direction because they’re all guilty.
Who you think the last D1 star played for the reasons above? Sad, but I can't think of any in the modern era.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Yep. :rockon:

bullgator

Who you think the last D1 star played for the reasons above? Sad, but I can't think of any in the modern era.
I believe there are some now. I know Tebow did. I believe Chubb and Stetson did. But let’s face it, if you dangle money carrots in front of them most won’t have the character not to chase it and make their decisions based on the other factors.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Maybe we're looking at this all wrong. Look on the bright side. Between ticket sales, TV deals and dreck sales the pro teams make enough money to pay for themselves plus pay some rent for the stadiums. Now the alumni associations can devote their money to their college's deserving and already underfunded Title IX Pinochle, Air Hockey, PacMan, Foosball, LBGTQ field hockey and Lacrosse teams. For UGA there will probably be enough money leftover to fund a Jai Alai team. Heck, lots of Florida kids go to UGA so it will be just like home to them. Throw in some parimutuel betting and you got a stone cold winner athletic program. What's not to like?

James12

I’ve said it a half dozen times on here. The NCAA (like the PGA to a degree) had their chance to find middle ground.

This is the NCAA quitting.

MudDucker

Staff member
You have to go way back to find a time when players played just for their college and not as a stepping stone to the pros. I remember some guys like that in the 80's.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
You have to go way back to find a time when players played just for their college and not as a stepping stone to the pros. I remember some guys like that in the 80's.

The 70's for sure. :rockon: