Prophetic? NIL ending predicted?

SpotandStalk

Imagine the backlash a UGA or OSU will face when ball players can say what they really think of us. And without the wisdom and restraint of age and experience to be able to reason through possible repercussions for those actions.

If we already know what/how they truly feel shouldn’t the support have ended before they get to the money? After all, it is all of our support that gets them to those multi million dollar contracts.

It seems most folks already know these players beliefs but it doesn’t bother them to the point of not watching “muh team” on Saturdays.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
If we already know what/how they truly feel shouldn’t the support have ended before they get to the money? After all, it is all of our support that gets them to those multi million dollar contracts.

It seems most folks already know these players beliefs but it doesn’t bother them to the point of not watching “muh team” on Saturdays.
True, yes, but as with life, most of us aren't friends with people only because we agree about everything. In most cases we choose to highlight our similarities and not the differences. However when one chooses to highlight the differences and openly denigrate the other over them, that is when the association ends.

Madsnooker

I guess im in the minority here. College football is as alive as it has ever been. I don't see it changing. Only 2% of college football players move on to the NFL. Almost all of the college players won't make a ton of money. The elite ones, yes but that's very few. It will all work its self out as the market has always been correct. To call it NFL lite is simply not even remotely true. Anyone that thinks 98% of college football players, that will never a see down in a preseason game much less a real NFL, is gonna make up some league that is not tied academically to a college is mistaken. Logically that model could never work long term.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
To call it NFL lite is simply not even remotely true.

Ummm yes it is. There will be about a dozen colleges that will lock up all the 5 star players because the have the money to do it. All of the other FBS schools will be the homecoming Queen's court and it will never change and interest will immediately drop off.

ddgarcia

I guess im in the minority here. College football is as alive as it has ever been. I don't see it changing. Only 2% of college football players move on to the NFL. Almost all of the college players won't make a ton of money. The elite ones, yes but that's very few. It will all work its self out as the market has always been correct. To call it NFL lite is simply not even remotely true. Anyone that thinks 98% of college football players, that will never a see down in a preseason game much less a real NFL, is gonna make up some league that is not tied academically to a college is mistaken. Logically that model could never work long term.
And this has been my point all along. There have been MANY "minor league" attempts over the years and all have failed. Unfortunately now, whether we the fans, the colleges, whoever like it or not, that is what MAJOR CFB will have to become. Colleges simply CAN NOT, under Title IX, directly pay the players and the model they have created with NIL is unsustainable. A minor league will have to be formed, and players will have to make a choice. True pay for play (NFL LITE) right out of high school or go with the old "amateur" model of a scholarship ONLY (and all that entails).

FBS ball, as we know it, is in its death throws. As I've said all along, 30-60 schools will divest their football(and ultimately there round ball) teams and form NFL Lite. They'll still CALL themselves the Gergia Bulldogs, Ohio State Buckeyes, USCw Trojans, etc, but only because they lease the name from the school. That is the ONLY connection they will have. They may(will) still play in the same stadiums, but again, only because they lease it from the school.

Once that's done, thise players will no longer have to be students, in fact most probably won't be because it won't be a requirement. They will then be on an actual contract to the team for X number of years, likely with a stipulation for being drafted. Thise undrafted will be allowed to continue to play as long as feasible as supporting cast to fill the team roster. They can and will be traded and will be actual employees/private contractors the the team/league. All the things the schools can't do now under the NCAA and Title IX.

SOME of the top players may opt for what's left, it'll basically all be FCS ball then, but it will be under the "old" model of the "amatuer" scholarship and all that entails.

Unless Congress rewrites or eliminates Title IX(Yeah, that's not gonna happen) divestiture of and creation with these teams is the only way to go forward IMHO.

bullgator

Just reading this thread makes me care even less about CFB. I only wonder if it will die a slow, painful death……or a quick one they never expected.

SpotandStalk

Ummm yes it is. There will be about a dozen colleges that will lock up all the 5 star players because the have the money to do it. All of the other FBS schools will be the homecoming Queen's court and it will never change and interest will immediately drop off.

It’s not far from that now.

Madsnooker

You mean like it is now????? ;)

By the way, All the 5* players represent a minuscule amount overall.

I just don't think the sky is falling buts that's me. Maybe I will see it different down the road?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

bullgator

I can see CFB surviving with a different fan base. Some traditional college fans will move forward with the changes. Many of us will lose interest in the new atmosphere of entitlement athletics and move on to other interests. The void of our departure will be filled with a new and younger “FanDuel” type of fan…..one who could care less about the traditions, history, rivalries, alumni, and the colleges themselves.

Madsnooker

Yes, you will. :wink: See ddgarcia's #26 above.
No that scenario won't happen or if it did wouldn't last long as the masses aren't going to pay for that. The market always wins and there is no market for football under that scenario. The smart money men will not dump millions into something they know will die on the vine. That's why personally I think that won't happen.

ddgarcia

No that scenario won't happen or if it did wouldn't last long as the masses aren't going to pay for that. The market always wins and there is no market for football under that scenario. The smart money men will not dump millions into something they know will die on the vine. That's why personally I think that won't happen.
Read the linked article in the OP. That's EXACTLY where they're headed. It's the only way it can be done unless Title IX is modified or undone. And IMHO neither will be done for the "fairness" aspect. Even if they did try to modify it I'm sure they'd only screw it up worse.

ddgarcia

@weagle and all the rest who said this wasn't going to happen.

College football’s recent behavior almost demands we’re headed in the direction of an NFL-style, region-free, professional super league.

It's getting old being right.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

You'll see. :wink:

weagle

@weagle and all the rest who said this wasn't going to happen.

It's getting old being right.
You have me mixed up with someone else. I said years ago it was happening and that people were just pretending college football was an amateur sport.

Where we differ is I said it needed to happen and you think it will end the sport. The only thing ending is some peoples fairy tale belief that college football was amateur just because the players were not making millions while the coaches, colleges, and networks were cashing in on the Billions in revenue.

Well we've had a couple of years of the players getting paid and the sport is only getting stronger.

The teams will split off from the University proper in the near future to avoid title IX issues, just like I've always said. The dog fans packing the campus on Saturdays won't care in the least as long as the product on the field looks the same and they can hunker down and bark like dogs at each other.

Somewhere down the line (I'd say 10-15 years), it will all go full NASCAR mode, but it won't be because they are paying the players. It will be because the people in corporate board rooms are far removed from understanding the fan base, just like NASCAR.

ddgarcia

You have me mixed up with someone else. I said years ago it was happening and that people were just pretending college football was an amateur sport.

Where we differ is I said it needed to happen and you think it will end the sport. The only thing ending is some peoples fairy tale belief that college football was amateur just because the players were not making millions while the coaches, colleges, and networks were cashing in on the Billions in revenue.

Well we've had a couple of years of the players getting paid and the sport is only getting stronger.

The teams will split off from the University proper in the near future to avoid title IX issues, just like I've always said. The dog fans packing the campus on Saturdays won't care in the least as long as the product on the field looks the same and they can hunker down and bark like dogs at each other.

Somewhere down the line (I'd say 10-15 years), it will all go full NASCAR mode, but it won't be because they are paying the players. It will be because the people in corporate board rooms are far removed from understanding the fan base, just like NASCAR.
Well good.to know your so happy about the death of a sport we all loved AND all the things that the revenue generated by supported. I for one believe it to be a shame that all those opportunities will be lost.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

What will Auburn fans do? I can't imagine a pro team will help down there. :bounce: