Prophetic? NIL ending predicted?

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
From the beginning I predicted that NIL would end with only one outcome, and now it appears that outcome may be at hand.

The Great Split is no longer a far-fetched idea or a long-shot theory. It is instead a looming reality in light of legal challenges facing college athletics, most notably the costly House antitrust case against the NCAA and the power conferences
Insiders say the case will require the industry to reshape itself. In fact, according to former Duke and Notre Dame athletic director Kevin White, such conversations are transpiring at the highest level of the industry
After the meeting, White spoke more to Yahoo Sports about the models, some of which would have the power conference schools “leave and take their resources with them,” he said
“We have a 107-year history where we’ve successfully tethered higher education to sport and it is at risk,” he told committee members. “We are approaching an irreconcilable position between the academy and college athletics. That is frightening.”

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
They gonna kick the money boys out of the NC 2 A.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I promise you the lawyers are the only ones who will get rich. The NCAA will have to accept a players union, negotiate salaries, etc.. and they will officially be NFL minor league football.

At which point CFB will probably die because the money schools will own it. Other schools will just cancel their football program.

ddgarcia

I promise you the lawyers are the only ones who will get rich. The NCAA will have to accept a players union, negotiate salaries, etc.. and they will officially be NFL minor league football.

Some good might actually come from this, there’s a chance that schools will be forced to assure a recruits degree in Basket Weaving is a viable occupation, and they may actually have to earn a C- to pass a class? One can only hope, LOL.
Actually, what's most likely to happen, is the schools are going to "lose" their football and basketball teams. This is what scares them, losing all that revenue. The schools CAN NOT pay the players under Title IX, so they will have to divest those teams to form a separate league that will be NFL/NBA Lite. They will still be the GEORGIA Bulldogs in name only. The team will lease the naming rights and the stadium from UGA but that will be the ONLY connection they'll have to the University. ALL that revenue that the school enjoys will be GONE, along with all the things(non-revenue sports) it supports.

ddgarcia

And all schools won't do this. It will only be a group of 30-60 of the top programs and the rest will likely revert to the old model. Heck even the top school may again one day have school teams, they just won't have the players that they get now unless they are willing to play under the old amateur model and accept a mere scholarship for their services.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
And all schools won't do this. It will only be a group of 30-60 of the top programs and the rest will likely revert to the old model. Heck even the top school may again one day have school teams, they just won't have the players that they get now unless they are willing to play under the old amateur model and accept a mere scholarship for their services.

When the pro version starts dying on the vine because nobody is watching or buying tickets that's exactly what will happen. And since players get paid now that scholly needs to be taxable ordinary earned income.

lampern

Schools just need to can any sports that are not profitable

Why should schools pay water polo players or a school like UGA fund basketball players?

bullgator

At which point CFB will probably die because the money schools will own it. Other schools will just cancel their football program.
It’ll be as popular as minor league baseball. The fall woods are gonna get crowded

Doboy Dawg

It’ll be as popular as minor league baseball. The fall woods are gonna get crowded
Not here, the Savannah Bananas sell out every game since they turned the team into a Harlem Globetrotters show. It’s circus themed baseball. Not my cup of tea, but hey they’re selling out Grayson Stadium. Which will probably expand to suck in more cash.

Hopefully they won’t turn college football into arena sports. Flag football would be as exciting, like watching grass grow on a golf course.

bullgator

Not here, the Savannah Bananas sell out every game since they turned the team into a Harlem Globetrotters show. It’s circus themed baseball. Not my cup of tea, but hey they’re selling out Grayson Stadium. Which will probably expand to suck in more cash.

Hopefully they won’t turn college football into arena sports. Flag football would be as exciting, like watching grass grow on a golf course.
I’m sure the Bananas don’t peel off 90,000 into their stadium for games, or sell team merchandise the way CFB does.

Doboy Dawg

I’m sure the Bananas don’t peel off 90,000 into their stadium for games, or sell team merchandise the way CFB does.
You should go to a Banana’s game if you can get a ticket. They don’t have that capacity but I wouldn’t be surprised if they could fill it. They have a lucrative scam selling team merchandise. Their followers are cult like?

I miss the Savannah Sand Gnats and traditional minor league play, but it wasn’t making money. Sadly the Bananas are profitable.

ddgarcia

As long as the teams keep their college affiliation those seats will fill.
Don't count on it. Lot of folks watch only CFB because we can't stand the whining liberal millionaires go on about how abused and under appreciated they. How they're "slaves" to the Man and not paid what they're worth. The kneeling for the Flag and National Anthem and all the ignorant left wing political speech they regurgitate.

Let that start going on, which they won't be able to stop then, and we'll start spending all of our weekends in the woods and on the water. Also, many support the team because of the school. Once it's no longer the schools team some of that support, along with the revenue, will disappear as well. Just like many of the BIG money supporters abandoned their institutions of the antisemitic rhetoric coming from them.

Will some still support it? Yes, no doubt, but I don't think it will be near what it is now. My wife already balked at it. She went to buy our son a new jersey because his last one is well worn and all but outgrown. She came home and said no way, no how. They wanted $110 for one. I said welcome the world of NIL. Those that supported this garbage really thought that the schools were going share THEIR money. And another prophecy was fulfilled when I predicted that the schools wouldn't give up squat, they'd merely raise their prices and make thise dumb enough to pay them, pay for it and STILL keep their money.

MudDucker

Staff member
Rumors of the demise of college football are greatly exagerated and no, the sky is not falling.

Liberty

I've never been one to spend a day on the couch to watch ________ play a game when the fish are biting, the dove are flying, or the deer are moving. Maybe more folks main hobby shouldn't be watching someone else do theirs. Watching Bill Dance fish does not apply to the last line of my previous statement.

bullgator

Don't count on it. Lot of folks watch only CFB because we can't stand the whining liberal millionaires go on about how abused and under appreciated they. How they're "slaves" to the Man and not paid what they're worth. The kneeling for the Flag and National Anthem and all the ignorant left wing political speech they regurgitate.

Let that start going on, which they won't be able to stop then, and we'll start spending all of our weekends in the woods and on the water. Also, many support the team because of the school. Once it's no longer the schools team some of that support, along with the revenue, will disappear as well. Just like many of the BIG money supporters abandoned their institutions of the antisemitic rhetoric coming from them.

Will some still support it? Yes, no doubt, but I don't think it will be near what it is now. My wife already balked at it. She went to buy our son a new jersey because his last one is well worn and all but outgrown. She came home and said no way, no how. They wanted $110 for one. I said welcome the world of NIL. Those that supported this garbage really thought that the schools were going share THEIR money. And another prophecy was fulfilled when I predicted that the schools wouldn't give up squat, they'd merely raise their prices and make thise dumb enough to pay them, pay for it and STILL keep their money.
I agree.
If they’re not enrolled students the alumni will lose interest. Those of us that watch the recruiting of local high school kids will lose interest. Watching the attitudes of entitlement grow will cause a loss of interest. Having your favorite university sponsor a minor league team isn’t the least bit appealing.
You are also correct on the money matter. Folks seem to love hearing about corporate taxes being raised because they refuse to realize that it’s passed on to the end consumer.
I’d like to see colleges get out of athletics and let everyone see how good they had it.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Rumors of the demise of college football are greatly exagerated and no, the sky is not falling.

"College football" died many years ago along with the "student athlete". There are a few of those left but they are so greatly in the minority as to be difficult to spot.

Semi-pro College football is alive and well and it allows for the occasional armature student athlete. It will probably continue but a monkey wrench is coming for the works. Things will change but it is tough to know how much or in what direction.

SpotandStalk

I understand your reasoning in the first paragraph, and agree wholeheartedly, but I’ve heard so many times…”They pay players and I’m done”, yet here we are, as popular as ever. Those same players kneeling in the nfl were the same players many college fans worshipped. Same person, same attitude, same beliefs.

I’m not throwing stones but some in this very forum stated they’d be done if players are paid. As long as those kids are affiliated with “my” school ppl will watch. College football has folks hook, line, and sinker.

SpotandStalk

20 yrs ago folks were gonna quit because “they’re allowing thugs to take over”

40 yrs ago “it’s not about education”

And on and on. College football has done nothing but gain momentum

ddgarcia

Same person, same attitude, same beliefs.
Yes, but current college athletics they are not allowed to spew it/show it and openly disrespect the fans, OUR beliefs/traditions and OUR Country. Once it becomes NFL Lite and they are employees and NOT students anymore, such actions will be allowed.

Unlike the "elite" academic institutions in this country, the athletic institutions realize just who it is that "butters their bread". They know WE won't tolerate that woke, liberal crap and keep a tight leash on these kids espousing it. That will no longer be the case when they are actual paid, contracted employees and NOT students.

Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, NYU and many others are currently paying a HEAVY toll for allowing the bigoted, antisemitic students free reign to spew their hate. And that's from people who were once students of those institutions. Imagine the backlash a UGA or OSU will face when ball players can say what they really think of us. And without the wisdom and restraint of age and experience to be able to reason through possible repercussions for those actions.

Latest posts