Need a tractor: buy vs renting

snuffy

Also ordered a PTO extension from Amazon.
Think my top link may be okay

TomC

Also ordered a PTO extension from Amazon.
Think my top link may be okay
Probably depends on your implements but I did not need pto extensions to use my Pat's (tiller, finish mower, bush hog). Longer top link can be helpful for reasons other than the Pat's and probably worth picking up just to have. Not that much $ if you buy an off brand top link like those sold at Tractor Supply.

ssramage

It would probably be more financially sound for me to rent one based on how infrequently I use mine... BUT there's nothing quite like that first hit of diesel smell when I crank it up and drive it around the yard with the kids on my lap. The therapy alone in that is worth the price of admission.

I needed a tractor for my property to manage fields and create firebreaks. Initially, I considered renting, but the cost was quite high, with quotes around $400 for a single weekend's use. After crunching the numbers, I realized that renting several times a year would quickly add up.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I've been struggling with the idea of buying vs renting a small tractor . I've never owned or operated one before.
I purchased < 50 acres of wooded rural land about 2 hrs from my residence to hunt/hangout and I need to bush hog a few acres to keep open areas clear of grasses & brush as well as about 1/2 mile of firebreaks and electrical powerline.

My options are to rent from the local rental place that would drop off to my property their tractor with bush hog and bucket for about $350 for 8hrs use over weekend or
buy a used tractor with bush hog from fb or craigslist. or
hire someone local with a tractor to come out 3-4x/ year to do it for me

Would buying the tractor be a solid investment vs renting??
Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated.

So what did you decide on? :bounce:

sleepr71

I hope you buy the biggest 4wd tractor that you can afford,with a FEL,and at least one set of rear remote hydraulics on it. IF you can find a well maintained,older tractor..that fits the bill..don’t be scared of it. They were simpler made,and give less problems. I’d search for one with less than 3,000 hours on it..that way..it will outlast all of us on here :). With 50 acres…I’d want AT LEAST a 50-60 hp tractor,with 4wd,FEL,and rear remotes. Those options make it MUCH more useable.

earlthegoat2

My 2wd 5220 does pretty well with a loader. I suppose the weight that comes along with 50+hp helps though.

sleepr71

A 2wd tractor with water & antifreeze in the back tires,or a heavy implement on the back will do more than you think. Just don’t try to back uphill with a full bucket,and don’t try to cross wet areas with it. 4wd helps,but doesn’t make a tractor invincible. I’ve sunk all varieties..to the point of needing shovels & a Bulldozer to unstick it ;).

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
A 2wd tractor with water & antifreeze in the back tires,or a heavy implement on the back will do more than you think. Just don’t try to back uphill with a full bucket,and don’t try to cross wet areas with it. 4wd helps,but doesn’t make a tractor invincible. I’ve sunk all varieties..to the point of needing shovels & a Bulldozer to unstick it ;).
Obviously you’re a tractor driver and have not promoted yet to tractor operator. :bounce:

Mexican Squealer

I too have sunk all varieties but a two wheel drive tractor and 4x4 are opposite ends of the spectrum in my experience. Guess it depends on application but I wouldn’t own a 2wd

earlthegoat2

If you had 4wd on it to to compare, you'd notice the difference. The only time my 70hp is not in 4wd using the loader is when I forget that it is in 2wd, and then it only takes about 10 secs to figure out something ain't right.

My dad has a 5205 MFWD so I know the difference. Yes there is a difference.

All I am saying is that I bought that tractor for $5000 last year. I could have bought a similar 4wd 5210 in similar shape for $20,000. Or I could have bought A Kubota 25 hp 4wd for $15,000. 4wd gets a bit overrated when pricing pre-owned tractors out. If you can get high overall weight but have to settle for 2wd for less than half the price, I encourage anyone to do so

Most folks seem to have 35 hp or less and the general light overall weight that comes with that hp rating makes 4wd a practical necessity to get any land maintenance work done at all.

A bigger tractor and 4wd….well the world is your oyster as long as you can transport it Where it needs to go.

Im sure being a heavy equipment mechanic and operator has built in some kind of bias in my opinions though.

BriarPatch99

We picked up John Deere 6120E ...120 hp four wheel drive(1600 hrs), four wheel drive, grapple, bucket and hay spear...

Added and older Case-IH Max 150 ... 150 hp four wheel drive...wish it had a loader...

Last edited:

sleepr71

Obviously you’re a tractor driver and have not promoted yet to tractor operator. :bounce:

Meh..been on/in one for 40 years now. It happens. Those wet bottoms can be pretty inviting..the “crust” feels firm when you walk on it..but one spin of the tires & you’re down in that gray colored Clay. That stuff is slicker & stickier than owl poop on glass :rofl:. May as well STOP right then & go get a BIGGER tractor & long cable..;)

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Meh..been on/in one for 40 years now. It happens. Those wet bottoms can be pretty inviting..the “crust” feels firm when you walk on it..but one spin of the tires & you’re down in that gray colored Clay. That stuff is slicker & stickier than owl poop on glass :rofl:. May as well STOP right then & go get a BIGGER tractor & long cable..;)
Just wondering
What are u doing down in there.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Been there, done that, got a case of the t shirts in all the popular sizes and colors up in the attic. For those who don't know, that little voice in your head is a liar. :bounce:

Stuck1.jpg

Stuck2.jpg