Need a tractor: buy vs renting

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
That's my brother pointing out what a lousy tractor driver I was at the time. The Silverado 2500 HD wouldn't budge the tractor. We had to get the neighbor to come with his big John Deere to get us out.

specialk

i've had to git a flatbed rollback to come get mine out with a winch.....

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
That's my brother pointing out what a lousy tractor driver I was at the time. The Silverado 2500 HD wouldn't budge the tractor. We had to get the neighbor to come with his big John Deere to get us out.
About time for some new back tires, ain’t it?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Whatever you get, you just have to be smart. You can get hurt quick enough or a hurt can be put on your wallet, 2wd or 4wd.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
About time for some new back tires, ain’t it?

No sir. The tractor was brand new. That's mud caked between the cleats that makes it look slick.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
You had not enough speed. You will make it this time. I suggest 3 high at 1600 rpm.

I was in 4WD hi range and 2,600 rpm's to get 640 rpm's on the pto shaft for the mower deck. ;)

livetohunt

On your original question, I'd consider paying someone to mow for you. If you had other uses for a tractor like food plots, or other needs, I'd say buy. I really like Kubota and have a MX-6000.

deers2ward

You would be surprised at what kind of predicaments you can walk a tractor out of with front end loader.
Yeah I was down by the lake backing up an inclined pitch, moving a fallen tree and a pot hole was hidden by some leaves. I had to take a slightly diagonal line due to some trees on my left and right and I about tipped over when my front wheel went down into that pot hole. Pushed the FEL down and saved the day. I told myself then next time a tree fell down there it will just have to sit if not handled manually.

Having that FEL on there really takes some adjustment if you are used to not having one as it makes the length so much longer for turns in the woods, but I can’t imagine not having one now

Gav-n-Tn

Don’t know if the OP has bought anything yet but, I can tell you what helped me make a decision between JD and Kubota: parts support was one. I noticed JD parts support would wane pretty quickly after 10 years or whereas Kubota parts were still available long after that. I also didn’t care for the fact that JD puts their name on someone else’s tractor. Kubota’s 0% financing and their awesome insurance certainly helped too. I honestly didn’t even consider any other brands so I can’t comment on others one way or the other.

My wife is actually the one who talked me into buying a NEW tractor. All I’d ever had was old stuff that required frequent repairs and tinkering around with. The newest one I had was 50 years old. Feels pretty good just do the servicing at their frequencies

I ended up getting an L3901 with the FEL, HST trans and 3rd function.

I also see low hours, like new used ones pretty frequently. Most of them still have several years of warranty left on them.

ryanh487

There's often deals available for 0% financing on new tractor bundles including trailer, bush hog and box blade. New equipment = warranty and more time using before you have to worry about fixing it. Everything with a motor will need repair eventually, might as well put as much time between purchase date and repair date as possible.

Gav-n-Tn

There's often deals available for 0% financing on new tractor bundles including trailer, bush hog and box blade. New equipment = warranty and more time using before you have to worry about fixing it. Everything with a motor will need repair eventually, might as well put as much time between purchase date and repair date as possible.
I did the 0% deal. But, still wasn’t technically a 0% deal because the cash price was lower. It felt weird not throwing some money down or just buying it outright. The sales guy said “Are you any good at making your own money make more money?” I said “Yep”.

outdoorman

So what did you decide on? :bounce:
My thoughts are as much as I would like to own one; initial purchase of a 40hp with FEL, bushhog plus insurance plus trailer plus building a garage for storage plus any maintenance just outweighs renting for $300 a weekend including delivery/pickup to my property.

Gav-n-Tn

My thoughts are as much as I would like to own one; initial purchase of a 40hp with FEL, bushhog plus insurance plus trailer plus building a garage for storage plus any maintenance just outweighs renting for $300 a weekend including delivery/pickup to my property.
You’re probably on the right track then. It can definitely turn into a rabbit hole. I ended up having to build something to house the tractor and ended up buying another heavier trailer. The one I had was pretty close to max with just the tractor and FEL. This, of course, meant a heavier truck for the new trailer. However, if the tractor isn’t being transported, a simple shed will keep it out of the weather and a trailer isn’t needed. In my case, multiple properties in different states was the deal. In hindsight, the new truck and trailer cost could have EASILY bought a dedicated tractor for the other properties. Did I say rabbit hole?