**Need advice** What's the best facing the tree climbing stand?

RIBMAN

Buckshot Treestands, I just found out, have been bought out or renamed Equalizer. Just checked the website. Same stands. I'd check out the Magnum. you can either face the tree or face away from the tree. Very, Very comfortable stands IMO

Hit-n-Miss

Gunslinger is my favorite. Shot the deer in my avatar, at a state park hunt, at 175 yards in the neck from one. One thing I found to make it more comfortable to carry is to go to an auto parts store and buy 2 sherpa seat belt pads and put on the shoulder straps. The come in black, are plush, and velcro on.

ed742

Yes, Buckshot is now sold by Equalizer - and I love mine. To me, its the most versatile - not too heavy, very comfortable, easy to use, can face tree, face away, or half sit. Very quiet, sturdy.

Fireump

Gunslinger all the way..my son and I both have one. Brother has a Summit but sits almost upright. Gunslinger has 3 back positions to suit your back angle. And yes, as others have mentioned, u can take a nice nap and not worry bout fallin out when you make that sudden jerk when you awake :)

southernman13

Climbers

Tom Cat 1 and Buck shot either one is real nice , I also have a 180 sumit, i dont care to much for it, it is comfortable but not that easy to climb with IMO. Ive used it a few times and it has gotten a little easier, but I wouldnt buy another one, but I;m very cautious when using climbers anyway so others may not have issues as I do. The Tom Cat 1 is really hard to beat, I cant see anyone trying one of these and not liking it. the only draw back is the brace in the middle of the seat part you cant turn around unless you stand on the seat and for me that aint happenen. Its sounds like that gunslinger is very well liked i may have to check one out as well. good luck with your search

Grand Slam

Thanks for the input. I think I'll put a Gunslinger on order today. Sounds like it's gotten the most positive feedback.

K80

I love my summit 180 max ss but very seldom face the tree with it. I grew up using a Brent Hunt and loved it. I prefer the Summit over the Brent Hunt.

HighCotton

For me concealment and a rest for steady shots.

Provides additional concealment ONLY if the deer is approaching you from pretty much straight ahead. Otherwise, I don't see the benefit and in fact, if the deer is approaching you from pretty much straight ahead, facing the tree is actually a nusiance because the tree is going to be in your line of sight until the deer moves left or right enough to get a shot.

Dr. Strangelove

I am curious, what is the purpose of facing the tree when gun hunting?

I'll be honest, the old school face away from the tree stands had you doing some pretty tricky gymnastics way up there in the tree to unfold seats, etc. that I just didn't like. I also just plain don't like hanging out there off tree.

My Tomcat II allows me to climb in the same position I'm going to hunt in with no aerial gymnastics. It just feels safer to me than a face away stand.

I'm not saying other stands aren't safe, I'm just saying I like the way mine works.

JWF III

My Tomcat II allows me to climb in the same position I'm going to hunt in with no aerial gymnastics. It just feels safer to me than a face away stand.

Have to agree here. The tree also give you something for more stability for a longer shot.

Off hand, facing away from the tree, in a climber, is not my idea of stable (when it comes to precision shooting.)

Wyman

medic1

You have made a wise decision. I have owned the Summit 180 Max and have sold it because I prefer the Gunslinger. I also own a Summit Viper and I prefer the Gunslinger, even with the added weight and even when BOW hunting. It is heavier but not unbearable. I can handle the weight in exchange for the comfort.

CowtownHunter

Got Summit Viper SS before the season opened. Don't know whether it is the "best", but it's very light, easy to use, and best of all, I like it!

Wrangler35

WELL I got the Wal-Mart special when it was on sale for 80 dollars a few years back. I think it's called a gorilla? Probably cause it weighs about the same as one... But it climbs good and ain't fell yet! so in my opinion, I've gotten my money out of it and am still alive to tell the tale!